• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns What semi auto shotgun for waterfowl hunting?

mi223

Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
West Michigan
Thinking of retiring the old 870. What semi auto do you guys like and why? Prefer 3 1/2 inch but dont have to be.

Myself, my dad, and 2 of my cousins shoot browning maxus'. All of them have been trouble free. I regularly shoot mine with light loads in sporting clays and it cycles everything. Very light gun that points very well, and low recoil.

SBE III. I shoot a SBE II and I love it. Fits the 3.5’s. Had a few malfunctions over the years of owning it but I subject this shotgun to hell and shoot 2.5-3ish cases of duck loads (3inch 2 shot) per season. Cold hunting temps, sleet, snow, and never clean it and it still runs. I switched to a stiffer WOLFF spring +25% from brownells and now it runs 100% with everything I throw at it.

Reactions: jmb1911
Not 3.5”, but the Browning Gold Hunter I bought 16 years ago has functioned flawlessly after thousands of rounds. With some of the non-tox cartridges offered, I stick to 3” chambering knowing the gun will cycle 2.75” dove and clays loads reliably, which some 3.5” guns won’t. I’m sure a good deal can be found on gunbroker or similar.

I’ve spent a whole lot of time in wind swept and sub freezing central Oklahoma field hunting geese. Even more time dove and quail hunting out in dusty west Texas. And the most time duck hunting in the muddy lakes and swamps of the south. And on top of all that, lost count of how many dozens of cases of target loads I’ve gone through shooting sporting clays. Seen just about any autoloading shotgun come through.

First of all, you probably don’t need 3 1/2” shells. I know for a fact it doesn’t take one to kill a Sandhill crane or a greater Canada goose. Get out the patterning board, and find a good solid 3” load that your gun likes.

As far as gun selection, it’s very simple. The two guns that have the highest probability of being dependable in the worst of conditions are Beretta and Benelli. If you want to go cheaper than that, just keep your 870.... you’ll eventually figure out you wasted your money if you really use it. Benelli will run no matter what, but gives up a LITTLE reliability on light 2 3/4 target loads, and felt recoil is greater. Beretta shoots softer, is a LITTLE more reliable with light target loads, and will run no matter what as long as you spend a LITTLE more time cleaning it correctly. And by that I mean maybe 3x a year instead of 1x a year with a Benelli.

I personally choose Beretta, prefer the lighter recoil of a gas gun. It’s more versatile for all the different disciplines I use it for. If I wanted a dedicated waterfowl only gun, it would be a Benelli.

Thanks guys. Putting the fealers out for now, probably shoot the 870 for the rest of this season and hope to upgrade for next.

Mostly looking for something reliable with all loads from target to heavy 3 1/2 inch.

My most reliable 3-1/2" semi has been my Mossberg 935. I have had the Browning Gold which I had to send back twice for repairs and a Remington 11-87. My Mossberg has never let me down once in the duck blind or goose pit. It is also my deer gun here in Illinois and with a Kick's turkey choke has taken a substantial number of turkeys.

Not 3.5”, but the Browning Gold Hunter I bought 16 years ago has functioned flawlessly after thousands of rounds. With some of the non-tox cartridges offered, I stick to 3” chambering knowing the gun will cycle 2.75” dove and clays loads reliably, which some 3.5” guns won’t. I’m sure a good deal can be found on gunbroker or similar.

I’ve got the 3.5” and same report. It is a tank though. Also used it as a prop stick to push up off the bottom of a river when I “found” the channel and got pulled away. Worked fine the rest of the hunt too.

I'm a Beretta fan. Pretty much all my grandfather and I have hunted with. Although he does have a Franchi he cut down the barrel on that does well also.

Browning Gold Hunter Classic has run like a sewing machine with everything I've fed it, from turkey loads to light hand loads. Not one hiccup since I bought it 15 plus years ago and many 1000s of shells ago. A bit heavy and long for a grouse gun but it fits me so well it ends up being a fast handling piece for me. I used to carry a bottle of oil with me in the field for fear of it being an auto that would foul up, but never used it so it stays behind now. Mine will never be for sale.

Check out the Winchester SX3 and SX4. I’ve shot Benellis SBE2 mostly and I’m really impressed with the Winchester

Stoeger m3500. Had little to no trouble with it. First season with it, shot a few boxes of 3.5 bb's through it and a wash in the cold Ohio river after tripping in an old tire. It reliable shoots everything from 2.75 target loads to heavy 3.5s. I do not have the weight in it though.

i primarily run a double gun......but my buddies been running a Stoeger M3500 and has run great for him.

I couldn’t agree more. 4 years of duck and SHC hunting with my M3500 using 3” shells. I don’t baby this gun whatsoever and the layer of mud on it proves it. No issues thus far, but to be fair, I don’t hunt in the shittiest of conditions.

semi-auto shotguns arne't something I would go cheap on... my experience has been the less expensive models just give problems.

I'm a beretta a400 fan myself

Benelli SBE II or III for an inertia driven. Franchi and Stoeger also run similar inertia systems at a cheaper price point.
Beretta if your into gas driven. A bit less recoil on the real heavy loads.

I bought a Beretta 390ST when they first came out and it's been a very efficient well built and reliable gun. The action handles light trap to heavy mags well. Works well for sporting clays too. I'd definitely give a Beretta consideration in your quests. I've shot a lot of nice O/U, Auto, and pump shotguns since '73 and the 390 still ranks high, especially for the dollar. (y)

I've been running a Versa-Max tactical with SiCo Salvo and RDS for a few years now with no issues duck and dove hunting. It is heavy, unwieldy, and gets weird looks, but it has been flawless.

What are the difference between a tactical shotgun say the Remington Versa Max and say a beretta or even benelli that are specific for waterfowl if the barrel lengths are close to each other.

I’ll throw Franchi in the mix. They are a subsidiary of Beretta and I’ve been very pleased with mine.
To be more specific Franchi is actually a subsidiary of Benelli and their shotguns use the same inertial recoil system as all Benelli's do. That said, Benelli is owned by Beretta so technically speaking Franchi is a Beretta subsidiary.

Think of Franchi as a cheaper version of a Benelli, because the features of all their shotguns are the same as a Benelli rather than a Beretta (and many Franchi's are priced similarly or higher than comparable Beretta offerings).

For @mi223 , I'm personally a fan of the Beretta semi-autos. All Beretta semi-auto shotguns use a gas recoil system, which helps reduce felt recoil in a noticeable fashion when compared to a inertia system (ala Benelli/Franchi/Stoeger). This is a larger factor to consider when you plan to shoot 3 1/2 inch magnum shells too, so my recommendation would be the Beretta A400 Extreme.

I've got a Beretta A300 Outlander (the wood stock variant) and I love it. I "broke it in", which may or may not be required, with 50 3-inch magnum slugs and I've never once had a failure in that gun after 10,000+ rounds shot through it since using everything from light target loads (2 3/4 inch with 7/8 oz of shot) up to the big 3 inch turkey loads.

I've been squadded with other shooters at the skeet field that used something like a Remington VersaMax with low recoil shells (1 1/8oz at 1050 fps) and they were struggling all day with cycling issues. I loaned them my Beretta (I shoot an O/U for trap/skeet/sporting clays but still bring the Beretta along just in case) and they had no such issues with the same ammunition.

I've also at times neglected to clean my A300 for nearly 2,000 rounds and still had no issues with it, so the reliability is definitely solid even when filthy.

To be more specific Franchi is actually a subsidiary of Benelli and their shotguns use the same inertial recoil system as all Benelli's do. That said, Benelli is owned by Beretta so technically speaking Franchi is a Beretta subsidiary.

Think of Franchi as a cheaper version of a Benelli, because the features of all their shotguns are the same as a Benelli rather than a Beretta (and many Franchi's are priced similarly or higher than comparable Beretta offerings).

You are correct. Mine even has Benelli stamped on the receiver.

I personally love the reliability of my Benelli SBE II. The inertia system isn't always the softest shooter with cranked up field loads but I consider it a small price to pay for the reliability. I used to shoot Remington 11-87, but had too many issues. Benelli SBE II also shoots the 3.5's.

I personally love the reliability of my Benelli SBE II. The inertia system isn't always the softest shooter with cranked up field loads but I consider it a small price to pay for the reliability. I used to shoot Remington 11-87, but had too many issues. Benelli SBE II also shoots the 3.5's.
Only thing that ever stopped mine was ice

The Benelli Super Vinci with ComforTech stock is going to be one of the softest-recoiling semi-autos. It’s a fantastic shotgun and the recoil control is excellent. If the design is not your cup of tea, the SBE3 is the gold standard for 3.5” shotguns. They are die-hard shotguns that can run in any condition. I have a SBE1 that is my workhorse do-all shotgun. I love that thing and won’t get rid of it even though it’s heavy, kicks like a mule and isn’t pretty to look at like my Ethos.

Beretta A400s are exceptional shotguns as well. For gas autos, I think Beretta makes the best shotguns.

Franchi and Stoeger are decent enough, but they are budget brands. If you have the money to step up to the real deal with Benelli, do it. There is a noticeable difference in quality between the parent companies (Benelli and Beretta) and the subsidiaries (Franchi and Stoeger).

The Benelli Super Vinci with ComforTech stock is going to be one of the softest-recoiling semi-autos. It’s a fantastic shotgun and the recoil control is excellent.

While I have no doubt Benelli did a good job designing a recoil system, it will inherently recoil harder than a gas operated shotgun as a result of its inertial recoil design. The difference in felt recoil between an inertial shotgun and gas shotgun is substantial.

A third shell is wasted with me, as it’s no use if I’ve alreasy missed twice, and I don’t need to be trying to find 3 downed birds at the same time either. The result is that I shoot an o/u. But, if I were looking for an auto for waterfowl, my search would begin and end with an SBE.

While I have no doubt Benelli did a good job designing a recoil system, it will inherently recoil harder than a gas operated shotgun as a result of its inertial recoil design. The difference in felt recoil between an inertial shotgun and gas shotgun is substantial.
The key in the recoil reduction with Benelli is the ComforTech stock. I tested this last year with my SBE1, Ethos (Progressive Comfort stock), My dad’s M2 ComforTech, uncle’s Montefeltro, brother’s Remington 1100 and my Remington 870.

Gas does help with recoil reduction, and I’ve previously shot a Benelli M4 and Beretta AL391, and I remember them being softer (especially Beretta). The stock design makes a big difference too, though.

If I rated max felt recoil from Remington 870 as 10/10 with 2-3/4” #5 1475fps Kent FastLead Upland, I’d rate the guns the following:

5 - M2 ComforTech
7 - 1100
7 - Ethos
8 - SBE1 (weight helps)
8.5 - Montefeltro
10 - 870

$400-$450 1100 or 11-87 fits the bill. have it cerakoted to look good and help stop corrosion. They work well and are easy to get parts for, keep it lightly lubed and have spare o-ring with you (or change it yearly) and it will run without issues. Remember if its a hunting tool and will get beat to shit, spending triple for something no less reliable is crazy considering how it will be used. my $.02

Reactions: Graywolf.260
If i could only have one the SBE3 would probably be first choice (maybe). I do have a Beretta Xtrema (the original one) that I have used for skeet, sporting clays, waterfowl hunting, and everything else that I would need a shotty for. I have not cleaned it in over 3500 rounds and it still runs great. I want to see how long I can go before I have problems. I will occasionally spray some oil on the bolt but that is it. The bolt looks like something out of an AR it’s so covered with crud. But the damn thing just goes.

A third shell is wasted with me, as it’s no use if I’ve alreasy missed twice, and I don’t need to be trying to find 3 downed birds at the same time either. The result is that I shoot an o/u. But, if I were looking for an auto for waterfowl, my search would begin and end with an SBE.
Several years ago i remember seeing a browning 3.5 inch o/u. I lile the idea but think the 3.5s will be rough

Several years ago i remember seeing a browning 3.5 inch o/u. I lile the idea but think the 3.5s will be rough
No thanks, not without one of those hydraulic/spring recoil systems that allows the gun itself to actually move towards and away from the butt stock to spread out the duration of the recoil.

Benelli shotguns... they're light and reliable. They work off inertia which from my experience can take more water, dirt, and crud and still function reliably.

Having owned a Franchi Affinity for a few years I decided I didn't need a M2…..It not worth the extra $.…It's been 100% and actually pretty nice...The price has steadily risen since I bought mine but still quite a bit cheaper than a M2.

I too have a franchi but mine is old old old... my father's from his high school graduation. His father had bought it from an old timer in 65. I put the gun through its paces when I shot skeet and trap. Super reliable!

My first auto was a Browning Silver. Had problems with it right from the factory lol. Switched a few years back to a Benelli SBEII and couldn't be happier. The SBE fits me great. My wife shoots a Winchester SX3 and she loves it. Might get her a Benelli though. I hate cleaning gas guns during the season. We hunt saltwater so we need to clean after each hunt.

I love my sbeII and my son loves his sbeIII, there are many good choices just pic one that has a stock that you can adjust to fit to the shooter

I’ve had the best luck with Benellis. My M2 was great. I have switched to a SBE 2 as my primary. I also love the Beretta A391Xtrema 2. It was dependable and shot well for me.

Anyone on this thread who said the Benelli SBE 1, 2, or 3 has it right. My SBE 1 has been nothing sort of amazing, especially after some of the stinkers I've owned.

My OG SBE came out before the inertia system did, but after shooting my dad's SBE 2 with the inertia system, I'm not terribly sure it'd make a big difference with me (bigger dude).

I've used it for duck, geese, quail, and an incredible Argentina dove trip and it's not had any hiccups.

It's worth the coin to do it right once. The SBE 1 can be found well under $1K these days.

beretta a400 exrtreme
benellia SBE3
browning a5 (new style)
benelli SBE2
benelli super vinci

Solid list, Ignore the order (If asking the question you will never out shoot the shotgun).

All shotguns will feel different to you. Maybe check out the Win Sx3/4 also.

Pick the shotgun that pulls up the smoothest and has the best sight picture FOR YOU. Feel is reel.

My 3 brothers and I have countless rounds on the SBE2 and we are very hard on them. Havnt had a failure in any of them since they were released.

GL!
DT

The Benelli Super Vinci with ComforTech stock is going to be one of the softest-recoiling semi-autos. It’s a fantastic shotgun and the recoil control is excellent. If the design is not your cup of tea, the SBE3 is the gold standard for 3.5” shotguns. They are die-hard shotguns that can run in any condition. I have a SBE1 that is my workhorse do-all shotgun. I love that thing and won’t get rid of it even though it’s heavy, kicks like a mule and isn’t pretty to look at like my Ethos.

Beretta A400s are exceptional shotguns as well. For gas autos, I think Beretta makes the best shotguns.

Franchi and Stoeger are decent enough, but they are budget brands. If you have the money to step up to the real deal with Benelli, do it. There is a noticeable difference in quality between the parent companies (Benelli and Beretta) and the subsidiaries (Franchi and Stoeger).

I don't quite agree with the Super Vinci being one of the softest-recoiling. I've had mine for 5 years or so now and love it, but easy on the shoulder it is not. It doesn't bother me when I'm out hunting, but I used it to shoot skeet and even with 1oz #9 target loads it was a bit rough after a round or two. 3.5" BB was pretty unpleasant as well, I didn't even finish the one box that I bought.

Towards the end of this past season I picked up a Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus to try out. I got one hunt in with it while the geese were still around. First impressions were that it may be replacing the Benelli, I really liked it. I'll shoot it for skeet a bit this summer and see how it compares.

Super Vinci
fWRgu40h.jpg

fWRgu40.jpg

A400 Xtreme Plus
cTvpXwnh.jpg

cTvpXwn.jpg

Last edited:
Pick the shotgun that pulls up the smoothest and has the best sight picture FOR YOU. Feel is reel.
Important addition to this: different guns of the same model will have different sight pictures based on which spacers were installed for the stock at the factory. Generally stores will order a wide variety of fits for the same model (higher and lower combs relative to the top rail, shorter and longer LoP), but the people at the counter of big box stores won't have a clue which is which. Try out the feel on multiple of the same model gun once you have it down to a specific model.

I own both an SBE2 and an A400 and both are great. The beretta is softer recoiling for sure so it usually gets picked. For what it’s worth my local sporting goods store has some hardcore waterfowl guys and they all suggest and shoot A400’s.

SBE III. I shoot a SBE II and I love it. Fits the 3.5’s. Had a few malfunctions over the years of owning it but I subject this shotgun to hell and shoot 2.5-3ish cases of duck loads (3inch 2 shot) per season. Cold hunting temps, sleet, snow, and never clean it and it still runs. I switched to a stiffer WOLFF spring +25% from brownells and now it runs 100% with everything I throw at it.
As a southpaw, this was my choice and I've never had an issue with it functioning in any weather condition.
SJC