• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What shooting mat are you using?

I use the Eberlestock padded one. It is large and keeps me and my gear out of the winter mud and water. If I were to buy it over - probably would go with the Unpadded version.

Midway
2AD2F45F-121C-47DA-8AFB-D9F271F5A0A1.jpeg

TAB Gear Pollock Mat is where it’s at man.

Lightweight, extremely durable, water resistant, and dries quickly when you have to hose off the mud. Rolls up night and compact which allows it to attach to the bottom of any pack or even get shoved inside (I strap mine to the bottom of my MR 3DAP and GS2).

I recommend the D-ring model and not the fastex clips, as the D-ring style you don’t have to worry about the clips ever breaking.

Only thing I’ve done was add Velcro to the front left and right corners, that way I can slap a range card on one side and a brass bag/zipped pouch on the other.

EDIT: I don’t prefer padded mats but if you’re dead set on a padded one, then check out TAB Gear’s padded mat.

Attachments

• F8577130-BE3A-447E-A0EB-83BE221E9B15.jpeg
    F8577130-BE3A-447E-A0EB-83BE221E9B15.jpeg
    479.4 KB · Views: 163
  • 25CEF9C6-7F8E-4510-825F-7B96456E17B6.jpeg
    25CEF9C6-7F8E-4510-825F-7B96456E17B6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 159
  • 175E1DB6-FB86-4659-85DA-0815BC8F3A67.jpeg
    175E1DB6-FB86-4659-85DA-0815BC8F3A67.jpeg
    828.8 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
What's ExpertVoice?
Used to be called experticity. It’s a bulk discount site for people in certain current or former occupations. Military, police fire and many others.

one of the rules though is you don’t advertise their prices. It’s kinda like fight club ??. But there are good deals to be had at times.

I use a yoga mat that I got at a Wounded Warrior event.

One day I’ll upgrade to one of these fancy things you kids have.

Reactions: SND
US Peacekeeper for luxury - be wary of it in wind. Its a CrossTac knock off - I should have bought the CrossTac.

What I use 99 percent of the time though is a TAB gear roll up, D rings, always attached to my shooting pack and it have 4 small aluminum tent stakes rolled up with it to stake down the corners.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
I own a Col-Tac, I don't use the bipod straps. Padded up front where it matters, stake down grommets if you have stakes to keep it blowing in the wind.

I'm a Midway mat fan, but it's worth mentioning that Midway has TWO kinds of mats. The OP specifically said he wanted a PADDED mat.

This is their unpadded mat. It's an excellent value. I have one. It rolls up nicely. But, I wouldn't call it super-portable.

MidwayUSA Pro Series Competition Shooting Mat

Midway also has the PADDED "half-acre" mat, which I also own. It is thickly-padded and SUPER-comfortable. But, it doesn't roll up. It folds like a massage table. So, if you have to hike to your shooting spot, take the roll-up type mat. But, if you don't have to hike or walk a long distance, the Half-Acre mat is like being on a bed! It's THAT comfortable.

MidwayUSA Half Acre Padded Shooting Mat Olive Drab

Both are quite reasonably priced. Get both! :)

Here's a post I made comparing the two mats side-by-side with photos:

Below that comment is another comment I posted with photos of the Half-Acre mat "in the wild" (at the range):

Last edited:
Reactions: Brazo
I use a Blackhawk but I added painted PVC pipe installed up front for a bipod pressure point. Been great. I have a voodoo tac that I dont like as well. But it works.

Im looking hard at the Crosstac everybody loves. Right after I read this thread.

Can’t believe for $200 CrossTac can’t include stake down holes. Pretty windy here and seems like I would be chasing it in the nearby corn field. Tab Gear looks like a decent option and same with Midway.

Last edited:
That cost me $132 at Midway, $152 after ship and tax. I hope I dig it as much as some of you guys. People that run the Blackhawk roll up matt, I roll mine backwards so it doesn't try to roll up on you. Little Matt tip.

PB

Ive watched people at Sig Sauer not have their mats staked down suddenly see their rifle and all the dear rolled up and tossed, not pretty.

If you are in wind put the stakes in.

CrossTac is a great mat. It would be worth going to the rigger and having them sew some 550 cord loops on each corner for stake downs.

I bought some cheap REI aluminum stakes, approx 6 inches in length. Steady pressure with the toe of my boot seats them and they pull out easy enough while being in strong enough to resist wind.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
I've got the Cole-Tac mat, and I'm happy with it. The padding is enough to be comfortable without making the thing huge when rolled up. The little bipod leg strap thing is nice if you have time to use it, and the wings helps since the main mat is narrow.

I've thought about having additional straps sown to the CossTac. But since most of the places that I shoot from are concrete pads or hard-pack clay and rock. I just choose to weight down the corners. I've bent too many stakes trying to drive them into the ground.

I have a crosstac clone. I only use it if there is snow and I want insulation from cold.

My Tab Gear has enough padding for my elbows and I really dont care about anything from the elbows back.

Of course I cant stake it when shooting off concrete either.

Unlike padded mats the tab gear is light enough that if the wind catches it, it wont toss the rifle.

It just folds over the rifle and flaps in the breeze.

The only time this seems to be an issue is lunch breaks and if Im going to be away from the rifle any amount of time greater than minutes its either parked off the shooting line or I have the rifle covered with one of those Tab Gear rifle covers that goes from muzzle to heel and clips under the trigger and mag.

I like this one from Creedmoor sports. Doubles as a bench mat.

Reactions: 308pirate
I am using Midway, and depending on what time of year you get it, you can get a pretty substantial discount.

Depends which way you carry the mat and distance from your vehicle to the spot. I would say either CrossTac or Midway.

MidwayUSA Pro Series Competition Shooting Mat
$50 and its padded plenty.

Reactions: Steel head
Midway pro.

I grab an extra every time I see them for $35. I always seem to use them until they're ragged but it takes years.