• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What shooting mat are you using?

I use the cabelas shooting mat. Padded, stake holes, cheap enough, small pockets for a write in the rain notepad. When the box arrived it was a Maxx something brand- whoever makes it for them. So far, it's been great.

I've got the Midway roll up mat.
I like it, but, it needs a hunk of PVC or something to load the bipod. That's a 5 minute fix.

However, I also keep a Harbor Freight moving blanket behind the rear seat of my truck for the days I forget the mat.
Under $5 and it works great too. Just spend the extra on the larger size, you'll thank me.

Reactions: LMTMWS
For the money, the Midway Pro is hard to beat. Although not "padded", you can sure buy several of these for the price of others...

Unpadded Eberlestock.

0726190902.jpg

CrossTac Precision Long Range Shooting Mat is what I use for the range at home, and for on the go the Boyt Harness Bob Allen Tactical Shooting Mat just because it is more compact and you don't roll the CrossTac because it folds right up as you pick it up so you don't have to get muck, or dust all over you when you're ready to pick up. The Bob Allen is o.k. but the CrossTac is my all time favorite because of the built in bipod stop for pre-loading and because you have enough space to keep gear like a DOPE folder, or Borka pack on the mat with you.

Can’t believe for $200 CrossTac can’t include stake down holes. Pretty windy here and seems like I would be chasing it in the nearby corn field. Tab Gear looks like a decent option and same with Midway.
Never been an issue here in Colorado or anywhere else and it sure gets windy here on the plain, however never so bad for the range that it would require staking down anything, regardless what make of mat. Then again, hey hardcore if you're shooting in wind conditions so extreme you've got to stake it down so you don't fly away. LOL

Midway pro series mat has been working well for me. Before that I used a cheap drag bag that doubled as my rifle case. It wasn't padded enough for my liking.

I’m running the midway USA shooting bag / mat... it does what it needs to do but I think I’d invest in a dedicated shooting mat

VooDoo Tactical. I've been surprised how well it has held up and worked for me. Mine is an older model tho and I don't know if the current production mats are built as well.

Reactions: Speed
I use one from Midway. I can’t remember the model. It’s olive green, but the padded area is black. In the sun, it will scald the skin right off your elbows

Has anyone compared Midway's Pro Series to their new Pro Series Gen 2, seems like the only difference is the Gen 2 is using 1000D Cordura Nylon Top, 1200D Polyester Bottom, if that's the only difference I have yet to hear someone mention the Pro Series (not Gen 2) fell apart on them...

My Crosstac showed up today. Kind of a let down as it's stupid simple. Unhook velcro, throw down. Pick up by two handle straps and it comes right together. Fasten Velcro. Done.

Stupid simple is a good thing here. :geek:

Reactions: SonicBurlap
I'm thinking of something like this

1582153912244.png

Okay, just kidding, but seriously has anyone used a sleeping pad for a shooting mat? I'm always trying to think of gear that can serve multiple purposes.

unless it is muddy...I just lay on the ground. If it is muddy....I'll lay on an old MidwayUSA mat....if it is super cold...screw it...I'll stay home or shoot off a bench.

I use the cabelas shooting mat. Padded, stake holes, cheap enough, small pockets for a write in the rain notepad. When the box arrived it was a Maxx something brand- whoever makes it for them. So far, it's been great.

Same here. I went to a shooting class last weekend and I liked my Cabela's mat best out of all the ones I saw. It's big, rolls easily, has these kinda wing things to make it wider where you elbows are, has little pockets, it's kinda stiff so there's passing without being really thick. Great mat

In the market for a new shooting mat. Would prefer a padded one, what is everyone using?

Thanks,

Buckeye

Not quite sure the brand but when I picked up one of the FBI surplus A3Gs from the FN Pro Shop they gave me an FN branded mat...been using it ever since.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of something like this

View attachment 7253992

Okay, just kidding, but seriously has anyone used a sleeping pad for a shooting mat? I'm always trying to think of gear that can serve multiple purposes.

I tried my thick sleeping mat once but I could not get stable. Too much movement with the 2” padding, so I bought the Midway versions.

Reactions: Glassaholic
I tried my thick sleeping mat once but I could not get stable. Too much movement with the 2” padding, so I bought the Midway versions.
So it sounds like there's opportunity on the shooting front for a company to make a shooting mat with a high R value that does well in cold weather and doubles as a sleeping mat that can be taken into the field.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
So it sounds like there's opportunity on the shooting front for a company to make a shooting mat with a high R value that does well in cold weather and doubles as a sleeping mat that can be taken into the field.

Roll up with sections/areas that don’t have bouncy padding?(or could be removable maybe? Might be a problem with a crossover mat?)

I like the Midway Pro series gen 2 shooting mat. I typically don’t put my bipod on the mat because I usually have spiked feet on it, but they have a strap across the front so you can load the bipod.
6075F80A-0F8E-41E0-B264-E5EEA51599C1.jpeg

I like the Midway Pro series gen 2 shooting mat. I typically don’t put my bipod on the mat because I usually have spiked feet on it, but they have a strap across the front so you can load the bipod.
I've been looking at the Pro Series and the Pro Series Gen 2, the material seems to be the only difference, do you find the Gen 2 to be worth it over the regular pro series? The money doesn't really matter if the Gen 2 is truly better.

I don't have the original to really compare but this thing has held up really well. It's been I think almost 2 years and it hasn't even begun to feel broke in.

NC Star .. cheap, close clone to the Galati mat. thick, doubles as a rifle case/drag bag and has the slot for a full length 1 piece cleaning rod. works for fraction of the price. think I paid $50

model #. CVSM2913T

I bought an NcStar VISM from amazon. $29.99. Seems pretty decent for the money.

Another fan of the Midway comp mat. It’s big and plenty padded. I’m 260 and am very comfortable for extended sessions on it.

B7CFB544-7D0E-46AA-96E7-2A0D71C8C5FA.jpeg

Which one are you using...the Recon or the Long Range flat folding mat?

If the Recon, do you find the 1/8" foam to be enough to take the bite out of gravel, etc?

Cheers
I use the folding mat. For a portable one I use one from US tactical supply which has zero padding but is small and functional.

Reactions: Baron23
Crosstac.

A 7#+ gun and the ammo case or whatever you go out with holds it down if the wind is rowdy.

Reactions: BeechTree_5
I assume OP has found something already, but I dig my Armageddon. Padding is super thin/non-existent, but it does the job and doesn't take up much space.

Reactions: 18Bravo.com
I use a coletac with the padding anand wings added. We shoot on asphalt for hours without issues. If im bringing a first timer ill usually carry my crosstac to make them more comfortable since its like 3/4 foam lol.

I assume OP has found something already, but I dig my Armageddon. Padding is super thin/non-existent, but it does the job and doesn't take up much space.
I picked one up in the PX and I love it. Rolls up small enough to fit inside my range bag, and it's just enough padding for my elbows.

I use boyt harness mat. Lightweight, reasonably padded, reinforced / rubberized area for your bipod, about 50 bucks. Prior to that was simply outdoor rug / carpet that I picked up at Tractor Supply for about ten bucks.

I’ve been using an NCStar Vism mat. Yeah the same NCStar that makes cheap scopes.about $32 bucks. But a mat is a simple tool and this one is made right. I’ve never had a reason to spend more. Now here’s a trick to help your shooting. Cut a slit on the top of the mat about an inch back and insert a 3/4 dowel or pvc pipe across the front and sew it back up. You now have a block to load your bipod against. Works like a champ.