• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What sighting device are you using on 300 blk pistols?

NCHillbilly

Libertata Aut Morte
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2012
    The occupied states of America
    I'm trying to decide what type of device I want to use on a 300 blk pistol. I built it to run subs, so don't need a scope, but can't decide between red dot, holographic, or laser. Any ideas?

Sig Romeo 5

Magpul MBUS flip up that cowitness through the sig
    47F9F02A-F473-4363-A185-07C62132FC03.jpeg

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
    SIG Bravo-5 Battle Sight w/ 300-BLK Horseshoe Reticle. It's heavy and expensive, but it's awesome ... BDC is accurate to 500 yards or more.

Used to run an eotech but changed to a Bushnell AR series 1-4 with 300 BO reticle. Mine is an SBR though but same concept for gun really

Hunting or SD ?
    Want to dial or hold over ?

I’ve run those:
    Acog TA33 with a Holosun 508 elite piggyback.
    Leupold VXR Patrol 1.25-4 with a custom subsonic Kenton turret.
    Leupold VX6HD 1-6 milrad CDS
    Holosun 510 elite or Eotech + magnifier.

They all have their pros and cons, I preferred the VX6HD the most, I have no problems making hits to 4x4 steels at 150y with 200gr Lapua subsonics and it’s still very light and balance the rifle well.

The mini acog is my second favourite, I zero at 40 yards top of chevron then my holdovers are 85/115/135/165.

The VXR patrol is dirt cheap, easy to find used, has a milrad turret, just not a fan of the 1.25x fisheye indoor but if it’s for hunting then it’s fine. The VXR are daylight bright and the reticle is very thick.

Red dot that you can dial ? There’s the Leupold Freedom BDC.... Maybe you could get a custom dial for subsonic.

Have a red dot on my home defense 8.5" with a can 300BO and on my other 10.5" fun gun I have a PST Gen II 1-6x. With the 1-6x I can shoot 2" groups at 100 with cheap ammo. Happy with that. Haven't gotten a chance to shoot it out farther yet.

Mine is an 8.5" pistol, built to be a <100yd hammer. Not hunting, just home defense. Running 208 gr BTHP over 10.8 grs of AA1680. Will eventually run a can. I just want something fast on target, and if it'll keep all the shots on a paper plate at 100, I'm good. It's not meant to be a tack driver, I've already got some of those.

Tacticon predator mk 3 mirco red dot. With their 3x magnifier behind it.

Attachments

• E8682190-0F61-47BA-99B8-E8E7EACE51EA.jpeg
      E8682190-0F61-47BA-99B8-E8E7EACE51EA.jpeg
      1.5 MB · Views: 142
    Mine is an 8.5" pistol, built to be a <100yd hammer. Not hunting, just home defense. Running 208 gr BTHP over 10.8 grs of AA1680. Will eventually run a can. I just want something fast on target, and if it'll keep all the shots on a paper plate at 100, I'm good. It's not meant to be a tack driver, I've already got some of those.

Sounds like a compact red dot is what you need for that pistol. Take a look at the Sparc AR or the Spritfire AR Prism if you wanted something with a reticle that isn't battery dependent.

I have a spark II on my 10.5". It's a 100 yard sub gun, so I didn't see any reason to get carried away.

That said, I have considered one of the eotech type reticles to have a reference for drop for screwing around.

My 10.5” with the 1-6x is zeroed at 50 and my HD 8.5” with the red dot is zeroed at 20 yards and offset checked down to about 3 yards.

For subs 40 yards zero with the EXPS 2-2. In between the 2 dots it's 90 yards and second dot is 10/125 yards. Bottom of the circle is <7 yards.

Home defense? I'm going with a laser set for POI in the vitals between 0-25 yards and iron sights set for either a 25 yard zero or maybe 50. This especially since I find red dots to actually almost "hurt" my eyes. Green dots are fine. I like the halographic units, but very expensive and batteries don't last as long.

The laser has in intimidation factor, too. A red dot/halo is best used in combat. You are not in combat defending your home 99% of the time.

Look, you're realistically not going to be launching projectiles at an intruder unless he's a threat and statistically he won't be until 25 yards in.

A 300 BLK pistol is best for interior defensive purposes. It is not a field/yard/property gun so much as a rifle (longer barrel) varient would be, or a .223/5.56.

Plan for the likely range in which you will be legally (read: defensibly) allowed to protect yourself and later defend your character (especially if the attacker is someone connected, favored by the media, or any other myriad of things that the DA can use to drop charges on you). These days, personal defense AR-style weapons should be very purpose built so some jury can't say you had some kind of malicious intent, even if some a-hole trespassed and threatened your life.

Otherwise, use a shotgun with buckshot. I don't care what state you're in.

I like my SiG Romeo 5 for a cheaper alternative, the motac feature is nice. Can be had for about $130. Decent little red dot for the cost. I know it’s not as nice as aimpoint, eotech ,or trijicon. But is a great value from my experience so far.

9” pistol in 300BO is my primary home defense gun. Outside of a survival situation where it could be pressed into taking a deer inside 200yds, it’s exclusively for close range, nothing further than the longest hall in my apartment.

I have a Holosun circle dot on it. Light, short, fast.

Sirboom is totally right about defensibility in court. Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6 but holy hell do I hope I never have to use it.

SIG Romeo 4M zeroed at 25 yards. The 4M is supposed to be their "mil" model - I believe it is out of production but it available at some of the big optics retailers. It has a dot or the Eotech style dot in a circle. Just installed it but very favorable first impression.

I set up these two SBR's.
    KAC SR-30 9.5" E3 Mod2 with Eotech XPS2 (68 MOA/1 MOA green) running dedicated .300 BO D&H magazines.

Primary Weapon Systems Mk109 9.75".

I wouldn't want to be shot by either at any distance.

A shotgun with buckshot has 9-12 .30 cal size pellets the user will be held accountable for down range with every shot, otherwise sounds good in theory.
    At best off-hand shooting five rounds of Remington low recoil OO buck@ 25 meter target with Wilson Combat 14" Vang Comp treated forcing cone and ported; every round downrange is 9-12X the liability of a single rifle round.

KAC 300 Blackout Eotech XPS2 with SurefireIMG_4502 copy.jpg
    KAC 300 Blackout Eotech XPS2 with SurefireIMG_4499 copy.jpg
    KAC 300 Blackout Eotech XPS2 with D&H Magazines 4430 copy.JPG
    IMG_4604 copy 2.JPG
    IMG_5319 copy.JPG
    Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 7.12.02 PM.png

Reactions: Itsadryheat
    My 8” 300 blk wears a gen 1 viper pst 1-4x. I run it on a sbr lower with a tbac ultra 7. I mainly use it for hunting but i do shoot drills and plink with it when im feeling something different than 556.

I went from a 1-4 Viper to a Aimpoint pro. I zero at 36 yd. I have an 8inc barrel and always use a can. Subs have an 8 or 10 inc below dot at 100 with that and supers are within inches.

Mine has a Vortex Huey.. though there’s a chance I swap to an MRO.

Since its the smallest of the ones that I have I decided to keep it rather simple. Aimpoint T2 with Magpul off set steel irons.