• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What size dot?

cast1

Polyhobbyism sufferer
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2011
About to get a Prodigy to play with. Gonna top it with an SRO. Should I go 2.5 or 5 MOA dot and why?

There are several threads on this. The general consensus is to go with the larger dot (easier target acquisition).

Reactions: CK1.0 and simonp
There are several threads on this. The general consensus is to go with the larger dot (easier target acquisition).
Tried the search feature and came up empty. Maybe I’m searching the wrong thing.

Not exactly apples to apples, but there is a lot of good information here.

.308pirate has a lot of knowledge about this topic

Reactions: simonp
I debated this same thing and asked the same question. After my research I bought and recommend the 5 MOA. Why: I have several SROs as well as a bunch of other red dots and I find the larger dots easier to pick up quickly. Unless you are doing precision shooting, larger is better...at least for me. Good luck with your decision.

As a former Bullseye shooter - the smallest dot you can get!
If your target isn't a 2" 10-ring at 50 yards, it doesn't matter.

been enjoying our 3 moa dots they move around not as much as a 2.5 moa could and not does not block my target like a 5 moa could of course that's only my opinion .

I like my 3moa dot for my rifles, but I would think I'd like it for a pistol too. Seems to me that it greatly would depend on what your priority is. Speed or precision?

IIRC I put a 6MOA on my USPSA handgun which was a popular choice among our group, even for the open crowd.

Try some out and see what you like, it can be a personal thing, but handgun dots seem to favor the larger sizes.

If you can shoot a group smaller than .75" at 25yds with a pistol that isn't locked in some homoerotic bench vise I'll buy you a smaller dot.

If you're new to RDS i'd start with 5/6 MOA

After several thousand rounds you might decide to try a different optic and get locked into a smaller size but by then you should be able to adjust fairly easily

First timer? I doubt any can even shoot the 1.5" a 6moa dot covers at 25.

I’m glad everybody agrees. 😜. I appreciate the input. I went with the 5 MOA.

Reactions: stemikel