• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What Size Objective Lense for Varmiting?

Dog&Jeep

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2013
Salinas, CA
Greetings.

I just ordered a Tikka T3 in 223 that I pan to use for Varmint shooting. First however, I need to finish dressing it up.

My question:

All other things being equal (brand, model, magnification range...etc.); what size objective is most practical for a rifle that I can expect to carry and transport a fair amount?

I'm looking at the same scope that comes with either a 40mm objective or a 50mm objective. No difference in price, so that's not a factor.

Thanks

I have 40s & 44s. A pal runs 50s and they do let a lot more light in vs the ones I have.
They are better in early mornings & late afternoon.
I have yet to really find a need for the 50s and I shoot many thousands of p-dogs every year out here in WY from dawn to dusk.

40-44 will be less weight, smaller profile, lower ring height = better check weld. I prefer light and the lightest the bestest and small tight kit in general and top my Tikka with the Leupy 36mm. I sat through a Swaro rep seminar and from what I remember, this was a few years ago, 50-56 gave around 10 - 12 mins more, depending weather and such of shooting/hunting light. Opinions vary but I want lighter and small for a hunting rig. I have never p dog hunted, only wolf and yotes so called vermiting and I used my fixed 3x and never needed a larger light gathering obj for 40+ years.

50mm is every one of my scopes. Competition and hunting gets a 50mm objective. Yes, they may weigh more, so get in better shape.