• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns What size pistol for home defense

Uniformity makes life simple that is a given.

Some cases different firearms are needed for concealment and are all that is readily available or affordable.

My wife regularly conceals a slim single stack 45, I do not like shooting that but I can proficiently.

.she does not like my 38 642 much but can shoot it, hides in a baggy pants pocket nicely.

She can shoot my fn d stack 45 but it is my open carry gun of choice and don't hide well.

We have several 9mm ds sidearms that we both shoot they are laying all over the place out of small children's reach.

By.the time that the grandkids can reach them they will already be proficient with them. Not kidding.

Can you conceal your 45 in a a pair of shorts without a a shirt?
Can your wife conceal her 45 in shorts and a t shirt?

I love a 1911 but are not end all complient.

Reactions: Odysseus1911
Holster selection makes a HUGE impact on the practicality of concealing certain guns. We both use a 5-Shot Leather SME. So comfortable I forget I'm wearing it, but more importantly it's completely invisible on either of us in shorts and a t-shirt -even a fitted polo like I usually wear. I can't hide it without a shirt, though but you can bet my wife will be wearing hers if I'm not wearing mine.

Reactions: Snuby642
God bless, and get a small pocket rocket.

My wife prefers a flash bang bustier type holster for her slim 45.

Fem fatal?

A lot of people like the concealability of a .380.

I do not like the feel of them, they are too small in my hand to shoot well.

I prefefer a a 38 special.
Mine has a crimson trace laser grip and xs big dot tritium front sight.
The s&w 642 is light weight a little snappy when fired with defense rounds. A couple of hundred rounds down range and you forget it, and never worry of recoil again. Lol

There are many other choices out there but I trust this one with my life.

I did have the trigger worked over a lot.

Last edited:
Unless the pistol is a Sig Rattler in 300BO shooting the heavies, or something similar. Of course, this assumes home defense, not a running firefight in open terrain. For that you call in an airstrike...

That is rifle.

you mean the MPX. The rifle but not really a rifle because of the loophole "arm brace"??

Both are ideal for home defense. Pistols are a last resort, ALWAYS

I love forums for this very reason. Peeps wanting to run Shotguns/SBRs/AR/AK pistols in houses for home defense rather than a handgun with a weapon-mounted light. I also love the ones talking about being half asleep. Anyone who has been in a home invasion situation or any sort of real high threat/risk situation would know that you snap awake and your adrenaline is raging. That half asleep line is just as great as those who say you cant miss with a shotgun or that the racking of the shotgun is the best defense. lol

IF the situation was defending your home against waves of individuals or the masses, then sure, have at your dream of being at the Alamo. If you want a practical system for defending yourself and your family while being able to accurately employ a weapon system AND gain the benefit of having free use of a hand simultaneously, then you run a pistol. If you have to move through your home in order to get to a loved one, then a pistol is what you want. You can engage threats even in close proximity and are at a lower risk of an assailant grabbing your long ass rifle/sbr/shotgun and controlling the muzzle.

People seem to confuse home defense with conducting a raid or defending against squad-sized element. You aren't kitting up to hit a house. You're bunkering down to protect yourself and loved ones against an unknown number of individuals, in unknown locations, and nor do you know what they are equipped with. If you don't have family members located elsewhere in the home, you hard point, call the police, and wait for the intruders to come in. Loss of property is what you have insurance for. If you do have loved ones elsewhere, then you are better equipped to maneuver to their location and defend yourself in a (hand to hand/struggle) fight if one occurs in the hallway leading to the other room. You get to them and hard point there.

As for following an invading person outside of the home, that's fucking stupid and a good way to get yourself fucked.

Glock 19 (or G17 if you have bigger hands) with an X300U with a full-size (17rd) mag is more than capable of dealing with an intruder(s)...obviously having been to a public range more times than I'd like, I think it would be a good idea to have a few extra mags next to it. ;)

(Switch out Glock with whatever semiautomatic handgun you're actually competent and comfortable with)

?

Yeah, if an intruder is in my home, the last thing I am going to take part in is a "hand to hand struggle" You loose that gamble and the loved ones could be next. You know the floor plan, have the lighting advantage and your choice of weapons. No hands on for me.

Reactions: 308pirate
Yeah, if an intruder is in my home, the last thing I am going to take part in is a "hand to hand struggle" You loose that gamble and the loved ones could be next. You know the floor plan, have the lighting advantage and your choice of weapons. No hands on for me.

Exactly. That's why you don't put yourself in that situation but if/when it happens, you're able to still engage a threat with a handgun. We don't get to dictate whether or not we will get into a scuffle while moving inside of the confined space of a home. That risk comes with leaving your hard point. Just like you don't get to dictate if and when you are exposed to a home defense situation, regardless of layout/lighting advantage.

Reactions: 308pirate
I also love the ones talking about being half asleep. Anyone who has been in a home invasion situation or any sort of real high threat/risk situation would know that you snap awake and your adrenaline is raging. That half asleep line is just as great as those who say you cant miss with a shotgun or that the racking of the shotgun is the best defense. lol

I agree with everything you said except the half-asleep part. Some people get into such deep sleep that it takes 5-10 seconds from the time they are jolted awake to the moment they fully regain their faculties. A lot of people have to take sleep medications -some of which prevent you from becoming "fully awake" in an instant no matter how much adrenalin their body just dumped. Some people have sleep paralysis where you become conscious before you gain full control of your body. Do you drink? Ever go to bed after a few beers and have a hard time waking up after a couple hours?

It's not the norm as probably most of us go to bed sober and would snap awake in an instant, but their are all kinds of circumstances that make the half-asleep scenario a real-world possibility.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
@Odysseus1911 Ah good point about those on Rx. As for drinking, I personally don't get to the point to where I can't handle myself because I have a family. However there is a big difference between having a hard time waking up after drinking and having a hard time waking up after a few drinks because your security alarm is going off/you're awaken by someone in the house.

To each their own but all factors to consider.

Full size for HD. I have a Glock 17 with a Surefire X300. My carry weapon is a G19 so mags and the same platform/manual of arms makes sense for me.

That is rifle.

you mean the MPX. The rifle but not really a rifle because of the loophole "arm brace"??

While I agree with your statement in general, words like ALWAYS and NEVER are rarely applicable when discussing matters such as these.
That is rifle.

I do not mean the MPX. I mean the platform I referenced. In any case, in the context of this discussion that's a detail. The larger point being that you missed the tongue in cheek nature of my response to your previous post.

While I agree with your statement in general, words like ALWAYS and NEVER are rarely applicable when discussing matters such as these.

I do not mean the MPX. I mean the platform I referenced. In any case, in the context of this discussion that's a detail. The larger point being that you missed the tongue in cheek nature of my response to your previous post.

yeah mpx or whatever. same shit