• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report what size targets at longer ranges??

Sniper260

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
What size targets are used to shoot for precision starting at 500 yards and going further out???

I shot at 500 yards yesterday at a 2 inch in diameter circle and did good but through my 10x ss scope a 2 inch circle gets hard to see through the mirage....

Any opinions?

Really dont matter how big they are, If there large targets give your self a spot you are trying to hit.

I would rather a larger target at long range with a 1 MOA dot in the middle and go for the dot. Or try for center of target.

We use 3.5x4' AR500 steel targets with 6-10" dots painted on them. This size target lets you see your hits and walk your shots onto the target dot you are aiming at. We use these targets out to 2,000 yards and are easy to see with 20+ power optics.
A too small target is a waste of time and money as you have to guess how far your miss was by the cloud of dust kicked up. not good for precision shooting.

Don't get hung up on the overall size of the target. Spray a few small (MOA and Sub MOA) dots on the the target. Aim for those, and adjust for windage on off shots. It's a hell of a lot easier to do it this way when shooting alone (sans spotter).

Personally I like a 9" target. 9 inches keeps me in the vital area of the most animals I hunt (deer, antelope, elk).

As others said you can paint a smaller target inside the 9 inch target.

It is also easy to range with my range finder further out when practicing with the mil dots.

10-4... ive always been the aim small miss small kinda thinker thats why Ive been using 2 inch circle targets out at 500-800. I guess as long as you have a consistant poa is what you need....

What is considered very good group sizes at 500, 1000, 1500??? I mean an inch and a half group is good at 500 by most peoples standards but by very picky standards is half inch groups at 500 really uncommon?

Half inch groups at 500 is awsome. Thats .1 MOA!
Yes you can get lucky, but doubt anyone can really do that consistently, even without wind.

I think im basically finding myself playing a f-class style of hobby haha

I like to have 1 and 2 MOA targets at each distance shooting.

So for 500 yards, I might have something like a 6 inch and 10 or 12 inch round.

Out to 1000 yards, I use something like a 12 inch round, and maybe even something like a 20 in square.

Keep in mind, it is much better to use a bigger target than a smaller target. Because if you hit the edge of say a 12 inch round, than you at least know you hit the target and can adjust accordingly to get center impacts.

If you are shooting that same distance and use a 8 inch target, you miss, and might have a harder time getting on target. Just my opinion.

And BTW, if you were shooting a 2 inch round target at 500 yards, that is impressive! Well done.

I appreciate the info... ive never really had anything to compare my shooting to or anyone to shoot against thats better and could teach me. Im just a self taught country bumpkin. Lots of reading about everthing and applying it in the field... I like the sound of a bigger piece of metal with a smaller target on it and painted where you can see the impacts better.. ill have to find some thick metal to shoot at... it all gives me a good idea of what I gotta shoot to try to be above average