• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What spotting scope ?

Timo Turl

Minuteman
May 24, 2010
Hi guys,

I'd like to buy a spotting scope but I'm not sure what to go for and was hoping for a few recommendations. I'm shooting an AI AE with a Nightforce 5.5-22 scope. Having spent quite a bit already on the rifle, scope and other bits 'n' pieces I don't want to break the bank. I'm mainly shooting prone, target only, up to 500-yrds but potentially out to a max 1000-yrds and would prefer something light as I move around the ranges.

Are there any good options out there that you would recommend or is the difference at the top end of the market so great that you'd suggest waiting for my bank manager to calm down a bit before going for one of those ?

Cheers

Re: What spotting scope ?

That is always a hard question to answer because you have to know how much money that you want to spend. I have a Vortex Razor HD as my spotter that I got recently and I love the clarity. I can see 223 holes in my target at 350-400 yards with not much problem. It is in the $1600 range and you could go with a Nikon, Brunton Pentax and be well served too. If you want to pay big money Zeiss, and Swarvoski. Never looked through them but I hear they are awesome but then again you will pay for it.

I use the Zeiss Diascope 65T* FL. IMO one of the best out there..

Thx for the suggestions. I appreciate it is hard without a budget. I'd like to keep it to under $2,000 but if someone tells me i'm mad not to save and pay up for something better than i'm all ears.

IMO
Can't go wrong with a Leupold Mark 4 12-40x60 mm spotter.
opplanet-leupold-mark-4-12-40x60mm-tactical-p4-spotting-scope-65145.jpg

$1,600 street price, but better prices can be had if you look hard enough.
Current issue spotting scope for the US Army.

The Zeiss / Hensoldt Spotting Scope 20-60x 72mm is pretty much the best product available, but $5K USD is a bit much.
386602.jpg

I'm a swarovski guy. Somewhat pricey also, but the picture is phenomenal.

Kowa: Contact Creedmore Sports, they will beat anyone's price

I have the Leupold 12-40x60 HD kit. Comes with armored case, window mount, digital camera adapters and a sturdy compact tripod with ball and socket quick detachable head. I really like the set up. It can be had for $1400 if you do some Googling.

You can't go wrong with a Kowa. They are probably the single most popular brand you see on the Highpower lines. You should be able to get a TSN 6xx series with a fixed 30x eyepiece in the $500-$600 range. If you want to compete in highpower out to 1K yards, I recommend a fixed wide-angle 30x eyepiece. Plenty of detail but you can also see your competitors' targets on either side: very important to help you read the wind. I use a Swaro with fixed 30W eyepiece: but it is definitely not needed for punching holes in paper: more useful for hunting and trying to find those tricky aminals in the western US.