• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What style of stock for hunting rifle.

mdesign

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2004
Nebraska
Guys - I'm in the process of building a hunting rifle and am debating what to get for a stock. Currently I have the traditional hunting stocks like the Manners MCS-T or McMillan HTG but am thinking about an A5 style stock for this one.

My hunting style is spot and stock with some longer range ambushes thrown in when the situation exists.

My question is will the vertical grip on an A5 style stock seem odd for an in the field carry rifle?

Re: Stock for Hunting

mdesign, You will really like the A5...I use them for almost all of my hunting. In fact its hard to switch back to my other stocks after using them.

Look at the A5 "Edge". Very light...but only comes in OD green.

The vertical grip in my experience wont hinder you at all for spot and stalk hunting or long range hunting...maybe for hunting heavy timber where a guy might be jump shooting, getting your hand in position to shoot could be a bit slower.

Not to jack the thread, but I'm in the early stages of specing out a new hunting rifle and had the same question about the A5. Even though this is Sniper's Hide and not Hunter's Hide, I'd really like for a SH rifle build to be geared towards hunters. I've been thinking about something like the GAP non-typical in 7-08 in an A5 stock with a focus on light weight.

Thanks PGS - on my current rifles I often carry them in the field with one hand on the grip section and I wondered how the A5 style would feel as the ergonomics are different than the HTG style stock.

I use a sling when I covering ground to get to/from my hunting area but carry the rest of the time.

I have an HTG and an A5 stock for my 308. Seems like I swap it back and forth fairly often. I really like both stocks. For deliberate precision fire I do prefer the A5, but for all around carrying rifle I prefer the HTG. I like the traditional grip and slimmer forend for carrying around and fast deployment.

Stock preference is pretty subjective per the preferences of the user.

I've used both the HTG and the A5. The A3 has also seen some action.

As much as I like the A3's and '5s I shoot the HTG style much better.

I guess my advice (since we know they all work) would be to evaluate which you shoot better in the arena you'll be using it.

after all, in the end, accuracy wins.

You guys are going to laugh me off this thread but there is nothing better than a nice piece of walnut with crisp checkering.

Glass, pillar bed, and free float and it will shoot just like it does out of your synthetic stock.

A couple of years ago after my grandfather died, I shot a deer with his old Savage 99. Since then it reminded me of his stories from hunting years ago and I have liked wood better since. The rifles are so good now that the applied correctly in a wood stock there is no practical difference.

It's just old school.

nothing wrong with wood.

IMHO i use for hunting what i normally use for "hunting" or target, as i hunt for animals at the same distances, i take advantage of the enhancements that a tactical / target stock delivers. the use what train with theory.

other wise an "old school" pump action rem. 760 3006 with 1.5 - 4x scope and see under rings for open sights works (a.k.a. pennsylvania pump). the savage 99 works great also, shot a whitetail with it at 257 yards with a 3X9 off a rock. that's when i turned to archery for deer.

one of my local "go to' gunplumbers do custom wood for some of his customers....the blanks are really phenomenal and just the blanks are higher than giraffe pussy ....then the artisan craftsmanship to make it into a functional rifle stock.....

for me i'm way too much of a klutz and would muck up a work of art pronto in the field....or even in the safe....so its a mcmillan....something like i'm used to competing with.....'cause all these tactical comps i've been to over the years has made me a better shooter....i know i can drop the movers and runners....and place the pill where it will do the most good...in any weather, weak side or positional, ....i donno call it muscle memory.....

Love the HTG edge, love the Mcst ultralight..owned the BNC tactical A5ish and on spot and stalk standing shots or braced standing it just didn't seem to shoulder right for me and man did I want it too. I think you should an A5 to play with and try it from several hunting positions.

To be honest I really like a nice wood monte carlo stock. Good ones fit me just right and I love nice wood grain.

+1000 on the A5 stock... love it
grin.gif

2008_WTail_243_AI.JPG

2008_2nd_Goat.JPG

2008_Goat_520_yards.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice!! What caliber? </div></div>

300 win mag. Still waiting on bottom metal and scope. I hope to have it ready for deer season!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where'd ya get the WT in Buffalo? </div></div>

high shoulder shot.... LOL
grin.gif

north of Buffalo. Shot it on No Tell'um Creek