• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors What suppressor to buy

mdesign

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2004
Nebraska
How in the world is one to make any sense of all the suppressor information out there and make an informed decision on what to buy?

If they were not expensive and easy to get, I suppose one could sort through them via trial and error to get the one he like best.

I want one for 7mm/30 cal that is not to heavy and is effective for noise suppression.

Re: What suppressor to buy

Depends, looks like some of them go in the $700 - $800 range.

I recommned www.silencerresearch.com. I know that people don't like being recommended to a $30/year site, but that's where you'll get the closest to trial and error. He does the trials for you and shares the results.

$30 is a very small price to pay to ensure your $600-1000 purchase is right the first time.

Regards,
Nate

In order of what I would buy, and approximate expense.

Shark - $1200
Gemtech Sandstorm - $1000
YHM Phantom - $550 ish

Ive tried the YHM and compared it to my Thundertrap...save the $$ and buy the YHM....dont forget Uncle Sam wants $200 for you to play...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stealth-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recommned www.silencerresearch.com. I know that people don't like being recommended to a $30/year site, but that's where you'll get the closest to trial and error. He does the trials for you and shares the results.

$30 is a very small price to pay to ensure your $600-1000 purchase is right the first time.

Regards,
Nate </div></div>

I think it might be worth the money to me.

Can't forget Uncle Sams cut can we.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In order of what I would buy, and approximate expense.

Shark - $1200
Gemtech Sandstorm - $1000
YHM Phantom - $550 ish </div></div>

Jason, care to elaborate a little on your top 3?

I'd second the suggestion for the Gemtech Sandstorm. Haven't played with the Shark.

Now if someone would like to send me a Shark, I'd be happy to form an opinion of it.....

i got the tigershark and i love it. good sound reduction, its titanium and cool off faster than the others and customer service is supperb.

hope this helps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How in the world is one to make any sense of all the suppressor information out there and make an informed decision on what to buy?

If they were not expensive and easy to get, I suppose one could sort through them via trial and error to get the one he like best.

I want one for 7mm/30 cal that is not to heavy and is effective for noise suppression.</div></div>

the wants and needs tell me you may wish to seek the subtle advantages of Titanium....but it may very well be a budget buster.

stainless is nice and quiet and heavy and some are made for constant duty.....

consider something rated for belted cartridges/higher pressures....you will thank yourself for it later

I run a SRT shadow XL TI on my armalite, i have used the gemtech HVT, YHM phantom, the SRT is noticeably quieter than the others and lighter, but your lookin @ over 1K plus your $200 rip off.

Is it a fair assumption to think that the heavier the suppressor the greater the change in POI or is it more rifle specific depending on barrel dia, length, etc?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Jason, care to elaborate a little on your top 3?</div></div>

Sure. I've actually not used 1 and 2, but people I know and trust have and use the regularly. These aren't just any people who read a magazine article, but people who have used a lot of suppressors and can afford to buy whatever works the best. I have the YHM, it was in stock and I'm not a patient person. I like that it's magnum rated but damn is it heavy. I think it works well and for the price point most everyone else agrees.

Now why the Shark over the Sandstorm? I think they'll both actually work about the same, but I like the options on the Shark. The ability to be taken apart and the swapable end caps are huge. If you have a rifle today that's 5/8-24 and you decide to sell it and get an AI (or a TacOps that has its own goofy thread), you either need to have the AI cut and rethreaded or get another can. With the Shark you can remove the 5/8 end cap and install the matching AI metric version, you can just order extras from Shark.

The Shark just gives you options and I like that. I will own one, it's just most likely a year away, I have to keep my eye on the other projects I'm working on.

If your running a truck axel, and many of us do, then POI from a heavier can (stainless) is lessened or eliminated. However, as you quite rightly pointed out, there are alot of manufactureres out there and you really owe it to yourself to hear for yourself as many different designs and manufacturers as you can. People make big noise about one can or another, for the most part its all opinion, including what I am about to tell you.

For centerfire:

dB ratings are NOT the be all and end all when buying a can, dB does not deal with duration or frequency.

1. No aluminum, period. Quality is not aluminum.
2. Can does not need to open and shouldn't.
3. Longer is not always better. Longer should raise more questions.
4. Forget mysterious talk about gas path "hot spots" Going full auto for 500 rounds with your can? Diferent specs all together.
5. Reflective designs = old design (only if have a length issue and for .408 and over).
6. Quick Detach is for CQB professionals and some of them won't use them. Precision shooting? Threaded.
7. Titanium has its own tonal qualities, look for the company that uses a bimetal mix to remove the ring.
8. The quietest precision cans require very tight tolerances at each baffle's exit diameter as well as expansion timing/placement.
9. Buy the best you can as it should last for life.

It took me the best part of a year to get to hear a broad spectrum and listen to people's responses. Nobody has even mentioned what I found to be my choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bsp212</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BachelorJack,

Your PM's are full.</div></div>

Sorry I'm a popular guy, what can I say. PM sent.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It took me the best part of a year to get to hear a broad spectrum and listen to people's responses. Nobody has even mentioned what I found to be my choice. </div></div>
I agree with <span style="text-decoration: underline">most</span> of what you have said. I'm curious to know what suppressor you ended up with.

I am no expert, but I spoke with a few people who know such things, did some more research, called Major Malfunction, and ended up with an SWR Omega 300.

I'll own a Tigershark one day...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It took me the best part of a year to get to hear a broad spectrum and listen to people's responses. Nobody has even mentioned what I found to be my choice.

</div></div>

TEASE!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It took me the best part of a year to get to hear a broad spectrum and listen to people's responses. Nobody has even mentioned what I found to be my choice.

</div></div>

TEASE! </div></div>

+1, you can't do that to us.....
smile.gif
....would really like to hear the rest of your story.

Sharks better built better product best money I've spent.

just my opinion but if you want light then titanium is the only choice... i looked at several and my top of the list included:

* Shark/tigershark
* SRT Shadow XL Ti
* 30P (thunderbeast arms)
* Gemtech Sandstorm

I went with the SRT Shadow XL ti and would do it again in a second. i also would like to own a shark since I like the idea of disassembly option.

+1 on do your research before you buy.. big investiment that you have to live with. See if anyone in your are has some that you can listen to.

good luck,,, i went through the same thing

The important thing is to actually hear the cans. If I just blurt it out, I'm just another opinion. Hear the cans.

I bought a can from folks that have destroyed more cans in "Fire to Failure" testing over the last 30 years than many of the recommended cans above have made in total. I bought a can from the folks that the meter companies go to when they want to know what their new models should include. I bought a can from the holder of most of the patents, did more with material and construction techniques and has delivered more cans than most of the others combined. I went with same folks that don't offer anything made out of aluminum, pioneered titanium (and getting the ring out of it). I went with the company that used the first 360 degree welders because they had a spec to meet. I went with the company that has had more U.S. Gov funding for development than anybody over the same 30 year period. You know who I went with. Got four guys and a lathe? Nope, that isn't them.

mdesign, don't buy a damn thing until you have heard some cans.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I want one for 7mm/30 cal that is not to heavy and is effective for noise suppression. </div></div>

Any 30 cal can that is made of steel is gonna feel as heavy as a cinder block.

The one 30 cal I have personal experience with thus far is the YHM Phantom. Pretty impressive.

I've got an Ops Inc 12th Model on order. In about six months, I'll let ya know what I think of it.
frown.gif

My recommendation...

1)Ops12th model 30 cal

2)Gemtech Sandstorm

3)Shark

Sandstorm is the best performing of the three in terms of sound reduction i belive, but the ops mount is far superior. Ive heard great things about Sharks too but have never used them. But from all the praise they get i would try one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it a fair assumption to think that the heavier the suppressor the greater the change in POI or is it more rifle specific depending on barrel dia, length, etc? </div></div>

I'd say it's at least as much rifle specific as it is weight of the suppressor.

I have 2 thread mount 30 cal suppressors, on my .308 the lighter of the 2 has more POI shift. Almost 2moa more.

Both are consistent and repeatable.

I do plan on getting another Elite Iron suppressor.

No need to get uptight about it. If he doesn't want to name names, I guess that's his business. I, on the other hand am on up on the politics of the can business so I will name names.

It can only be one of three companies I can think of:
Knights Armament
Surefire
AAC

With a little research, I'm sure we could use the clues given to figure out which three made the first Ti can, or 360 degree weld or has had the most government contracts. I don't care enought to do said googling, but if YOU do, it's only a few keystrokes away. Feel free the let the rest of us know what you find ;p

Cans are cool, cans are useful, and cans make up for my small pecker... oh crap! Was that our loud?

I don't think BachelorJack is getting uptight about it.

What's the point of commenting on a thread where a guy asks specifically for suggestions on a can if you're not going to offer some suggestion. If he had a year to devote to listening to suppressors and touring shops he probably wouldn't be here asking the question.

An answer should be an answer, not a freaking riddle.

I think RollingThunders post had great info, but why would you not finish it by saying....the best can for my needs turned out to be XXXX?

What can one say?

For those that PMed me (including the guy who started this thread), I responded with a lengthy explanation of what I came to believe was the right can for me. Having said that, it appears that my suggestion that hearing as many cans as you can for yourself is not enough to some. For those, here is your answer, my answer to the question "who makes the very quietest, best made, most modern design and newest materials and execution." For me, I also wanted a company that would be there when I needed them, or when my kids might need them. As to all the discussion on NDACAs, well, I am sorry to say there is nothing in my observations that anybody couldn't learn for themselves, if they really wanted to understand suppressors and the companies that make them. No secrets, no special sauces or violations of trust. Never ran a supressor company, never worked for a suppressor company.

Back in May of 1966, when ENSURE No. 77 submitted for what was to become the Sionics M14SS-1 for the XM21 it has been an interesting ride watching as each generation of users pleaded their best case for suppressor designs. Breakthrough after breakthrough, MAW-A1, HEL-H4, H4A and by ENSURE77 we had moved through, FA-CM, FA-XM, S-1, S-2, S-3. Final breakthrough came with the first stable, first fully fieldable unit, the MAW-AL. After Sionics, after J.A. Ciener, well, not much left that AWC did finally figure out and make. What we have is the oldest supressor company in the U.S. and the company that has produced more commercial cans than anybody else AWC. They would have produced more military cans, but they couldn't build a good suppressor for what the current contract is calling for. Besides, they build "quietest" not "quiet enough". The majority of large, new military contracts are for mufflers, not suppressors. I bought an AWC Thundertrap 5th gen. I bought a Thundertrap "T" Enhanced.

Question, "When was the first time titanium was used in a can?" Answer, 1968, the Sionics S2 (stainless bore.) A majority of what read from the newbie makers today makes others laugh and pin it up on the board.

I bought a titanium Thundertrap that I had speced out to include an additional baffel set and an expansion chamber tuning that is designed to not only handle the typical .30 set, but will take my .300 WinMags & 7mm Mag. I asked for an additional 1.1" worth of supression, exactly 9.3" TOL. I have probably made their lives miserable as somebody is sure to ask for enhanced now.

So why? Why not a Knight's, a Surefire,an AAC? Simple, I had heard them and knew that all of them did a good job, but to my ears, one did the best job (and one did the poorest job.) So I picked up the phone and called AWC and talked to them alot. I explained to them that after a lifetime of shooting I had fended off tinitus and wanted to be sure that continued. I told them about the other cans of theirs I had bought, and had serviced by them. I had lived through check valves, mesh blast, spiral/counterspiral, stamped conical, machined conical, conical and chamber, accoustic pack, artificial environment hard, artificial environment liquid, pour to go, dip to go, leather wipe, poly wipe, hard wipe. And they listened. I explained to them that I wanted the most quiet, most accurate configuration I could have, that I did not feel I needed QD, I knew I did not need to take it apart. I already had take aparts and knew what they are good for and where they actually run counter to efficient suppression, duration of use. I had already maintained the quietest suppressor set ever made, a sealed integral that shot thousands of rounds of filthy ammo for years. I knew that take apart is for those that simply can't help but do what knowlegeable folks know isnt required. Got denatured? Got a chamber plug? Heck, got hot water? But to each his own. This was a centerfire can, centerfire cans do not need to come apart to be cleaned.

Do you get to keep your $10? No idea.

Man do I want to let loose on dB testing....ANY dB testing that isn't measured from either 4" behind the chamber or 50 yards out in front. You would expect that from a guy who was intrigued when HEL published their "area of certain location" findings.

Got to go, my Mom is coming and I have to do my homework.

And here I thought Greg Langelius was long winded...

Now its too much.....

---------------------------------------------------------------
Good Answers are by No Accident (G.L.)

FWIW, I also have an AWC Thundertrap .30 - not "enhanced", just regular. I bought it because I liked the tone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now its too much.....
</div></div>

Hell no, it was perfect. I truly appreciate the response, the time it took you to type it and the effort you put in to getting the best suppressor for you. I hope to someday hear it in person, but with 2 young kids the chance of that is small since fun travel doesn't involve guns much anymore (probably Disneyland actually), I may have to settle for just ordering my own. If I ask for the RT51 Enhanced, do you think they'll know what I mean?

Thank you for sharing and I'd happily send you $10, just pm me your address and it will be on its way.

Jason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your running a truck axel....I'm not, just a heavy sporter contour.

It took me the best part of a year to get to hear a broad spectrum and listen to people's responses....exactly what I plan to do as well.</div></div>

Rolling, thanks for your lengthy response, I thought it insightful and very well put. I have read much on the subject and spoken to some mfg'r but am still learning "suppressor talk" and cannot always spot BS when it is told to me. I was not aware I PM'd you as I don't have a record of it in my log but may have deleted it. Sorry if you were bothered.

I for one would like to hear your take on db testing. I have noticed that db reduction numbers get thrown around quite a bit but there does not seem to be a standardized test method so I am not sure on the validity of the numbers. I have listened to YHM Phantom and Elite Iron suppressors and can say that they seemed ok but that suppressors in general are loader than I though they would be. Maybe they way they are portrayed on TV does not reflect reality....ya think
smile.gif

Never had heard that QD may not be as accurate as threaded....something to check into.

Still learning

No bother, I'm waiting for somebody else to start the ball rolling on what has been called by some "the biggest civilian wet dream since they cut the M203 relief profile on the M4 barrel", Quick Detach.