• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors What suppressor?

mattp8893

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
The only can I have is an older one that's solid stainless and while it's great at suppression it's heavy as lead and long. This will be mainly for prs type competitions and hunting. I think I'm down to either the thunderbeast ultra 7 or two of the crux models. I shot a buddies ultra 7 for the first time and wasn't too impressed with the suppression but was very impressed with the accuracy and zero poi shift. Has anyone shot a crux that's also shot the thunderbeast that could give a comparison? Mainly chose these two because I like he size and tomb style mount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're not too impressed with the ultra 7 suppression? What was unimpressive about it? I don't have either one but curious about your experience.

the old stainless one i have while it is probably twice as long and much bigger diameter so i should expect it to be quieter. while i dont know exact decibel levels it is very comfortable to shoot without earmuffs no where even close to feeling like you need them or its on the iffy line. but the tbac 7 seemed much lounder honestly. after my buddy that owns it shot the first shot while i was spotting about 5 feet away i put my ear muffs back on because it worried me.

I have an ultra 9. Never wear anything more than cheap foam plugs. I couldn't be happier for a can used on my precision rifles (.308, 6.5 Creedmoor, .300 WM) as well as my .300 blk and 5.56.

I have an Ultra 7 and I absolutely love it. I have no problem with the sound suppression -I shoot several 6.5's and a 300wm with it and don't even think about ear muffs. All my buddies have been really impressed with it. If I was in the market for another suppressor, though, I think I'd get a Crux. I've never shot one but I've been really impressed with the reviews. I'd either get a Saxon6.5 or the Ark 30.

Not to knock the little guy cuz I am one but TBAC has a stellar history of customer service. Crux can be hard to get a hold of sometimes. They're in Texas like I am and want to support them but they weren't very organized when I was looking mat them.

Larger can volume is going to lead to a quieter DB assuming the suppressor has been made in recent years. 9" Ultra will be a bit quieter

I went with the 338 Ultra to suppress 6.5 -> 338 do-it-all can. On my AT308...whoa, awesome. That's about all I can say.

Go with the Ultra 9 then. Only 2" longer and the suppression is better than the 7. Accuracy still good and very light.

I went with the 338 Ultra to suppress 6.5 -> 338 do-it-all can. On my AT308...whoa, awesome. That's about all I can say.

I would love to compare the TB 338 to the Ultra 9 on a 308! I had thought about doing the same but wasn't sure about the size, cost and weight. I'm itching for a 338 Lapua so maybe I just will... in a year or so... when it would get approved.

I would love to compare the TB 338 to the Ultra 9 on a 308! I had thought about doing the same but wasn't sure about the size, cost and weight. I'm itching for a 338 Lapua so maybe I just will... in a year or so... when it would get approved.

Its a 300wm but close enough

You said that your existing can is probably twice as long and larger diameter than the Ultra 7. If you are shooting a 14 inch can, then of course it's going to be quieter if it even resembles a suppressor. Volume is still king when it comes to suppressors. Generally, the bigger they are, the quieter they are.

Now take 2 cans that are the same size and compare those. That is where you will see Thunderbeast shine. I believe that their baffle design is the best out there. They put alot into them to make it that way. If you feel that the 7 inch can is a little loud for you, then grab a 9 inch can. I've sold and used most cans on the market and find the Ultra 9 hard to beat in terms of sound reduction. Both of my match and trainer rifles wear Ultra 9s.

I do own a 338 Ultra as well. I've played with it on sub calibers like 308, 223, and 6.5x47. To my ears, I could not differentiate sound vs an Ultra 9. However, I can tell a big difference in Magnums. I ended up using the 338 Ultra on my 300 WSM since l I already owned it. I felt it was a little quieter than the Ultra 9. The Ultra 9 does a great job on magnums. More so than any other manufacturers 9 inch cans, bit the 338 Ultra is even better due to the volume.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I would expect. going from 5-7-9 inch ultra then 338. I just have the Ultra 9 for now but a 338 looks like it is in my future.

Get the Ultra 9. The 6.5 version if you're not using .30 caliber stuff. I've been very happy with both the performance of my Ultra 7 and the CS provided by TBAC.

I regret not going Ultra 9 & 6.5

I have flexibility with the .30 Ultra 7, but I have other cans that can do that job.

I have the 30CB9 and it's pretty good, but when they came out with the Ultra, I got the 5" which is great for an 8.5" .300BLK PDW, particularly with subs. The 30CB9 is great with .300BLK period and pretty good with .308 too. But when it came to dedicating a new can to my 6.5G, I went with the 6.5 Ultra 9, which should be coming back anytime now.

Elite Iron makes a fine 6.5 can too, I think they focus on the 6.5G but could be wrong. Heavy, but solid and they work; I use them for .338LM and .50BMG. I have SDN6's and 556SD's, a Saker and a bunch of others. They all suppress great save the 556SD's which like any short can on an M4 only serve to make it bearable. But they were real cheap and fit mounts I already had plus they came with new ones.

Sico makes some great stuff too, but for weight and accuracy, TBAC is it. And for suppression, their Ultra 9's in the appropriate caliber are hard to beat. Their thread over brakes are basically like using a thread on can anyway, so go with the CB brakes even if you only plan on using it one rifle. They'll help extend the life of the can too (using a brake with any QD rifle can is better than not)

I have several Thunderbeast cans. Happy with all of them, from my 5 inch Ultra to my 338 Ultra.

Since TBAC is very well represented here, I'll add Dead Air Sandman or Rugged Surge . I have a Sandman TI, and Surge. Very happy with both. Good on my 6.5CM and 300WM.
Quiet, and i also use them from time to time a friends Select fire. Nothing puts a smile on your face like a FA silenced gun.

Weight feels exactly the same. Specs say differently but I can't tell. Really the only thing bad about the Ultra 338 is that is costs more money. It is noticeably quieter and performs like a dream, just like all other TBAC cans.

It also seems to never get really hot on my 308, just warm.

I have an ultra 9. Never wear anything more than cheap foam plugs. I couldn't be happier for a can used on my precision rifles (.308, 6.5 Creedmoor, .300 WM) as well as my .300 blk and 5.56.

i dont know about the 7, but the 9 is fantastic

another happy ultra 7 owner. although i wished i had bought the 9.... either way i use it from 223 up to 300WM mag and am very happy with my purchase

I'm running a TBAC 338 Ultra on a Desert Tech SRS (260Rem, 308Win, 300WM, and 338LM) and its a lot quieter than any of my other cans (30BA, Saker 762, Hybrid, Dead Air Sandman S) regardless of caliber shot through it.