• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What the heck are these?

Gene Poole

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2011
Brighton, IL
I found these mixed in with a DTI I bought off eBay. I've got no idea what they are.

IMG_20140305_185712.jpg

IMG_20140305_194013.jpg

Not sure , I have seen something similar to that that fits on the fixed side of a Mic so you can accurately measure the wall thickness of tubing.
I have no idea what it would have to do with a dial indicator

The seated ball bearings look like they are part of a cradle to hold a loaded round on its side to measure run out using the dial gauge and one of the indicator sensors with the ball end.

This is like that liars game show. Whos next?

I bought Interapid, Mitituyo, & Browne&Sharp test indicators when I was tooling up after my 1st lathe purchase. The B&S BestTest are far & away my favorites. Looks like you got a nice one....

They are mic balls...they attach to the thimble and anvil to be used to measure concave surfaces at the lowest point. The user has to calculate the diameters of the balls when reading the mic. They come is different sizes for different sized mic faces too and different manufacturers have different styles. These appear to be Starret brand, because of the metal, snap on housing. Mitutoyo have a rubber style attachment.

They are mic balls...they attach to the thimble and anvil to be used to measure concave surfaces at the lowest point. The user has to calculate the diameters of the balls when reading the mic. They come is different sizes for different sized mic faces too and different manufacturers have different styles. These appear to be Starret brand, because of the metal, snap on housing. Mitutoyo have a rubber style attachment.

Awesome. Thanks for that. It was driving me batty wondering if they were somehow supposed to be used with the DTI. I've got a couple of Starret mics; I'll see if they work.

Where in MO are you, if you don't mind me asking? I'm just across the river from St. Louis and spend most of my workdays in Chesterfield.

I bought Interapid, Mitituyo, & Browne&Sharp test indicators when I was tooling up after my 1st lathe purchase. The B&S BestTest are far & away my favorites. Looks like you got a nice one....

I like the B&S too. This is my third, all under $50. I troll ebay for deals on mics, gauges, etc.

I'm in Sedalia...2/3 the way to KC. Almost took a job in Chesterfield way back in 93...that's when the MO River levee broke and flooded the place, lol...Glad I wasn't there!

Btw...one of the balls is broken. You find that out when you try to get it to attach.

Is this indicator with a long contact point a viable alternative to the more expensive Interapid that's often recommended for dialing in barrels?

I use them for such. I usually dial in with range rods, then verify at each stage with the long reach stylus.

Note that the max length stylus that Brown & Sharpe make is 1.75 inches. I have a couple, but I also use the Interapid 2.75 stylus for the B&S, but you must rethread to M1.4x0.3 metric. I have a die for that and it's pretty easy.

IMG_20140308_112641.jpg

IMG_20140104_124240.jpg

Last edited: