• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What The Joes Use: Top PRS Actions of 2019

precisionriflecomponents

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2019
I've been a longtime fan of Precision Rifle Blog's "What The Pro's Use" series, but always wondered what the most popular PRS products were at the local level. Over the course of 2019 I teamed up with WPRSC to collect data on 626 different shooters participating in PRS matches across the midwest.

The first subject covered: Top Rifle Actions

Next up: Barrels!

I think this is great info for the new shooter to remember, top tier gear isn’t required to get out and shoot. Thanks for putting this together. Unlike the poster above I appreciate it and find it extremely interesting.

Ryan

Yes, thanks Op for the time & effort.
I believe ARC are relatively new to the PRS scene in comparison to many of the other actions mentioned.
It appears that ARC have made some considerable impression.
I find this comforting as I am in the process of a rifle build with the ARC archimedes action.

Regards..........Barelstroker

Reactions: Sierra770
I think this is pretty cool, especially considering that PRS has a stigma attached to it that you need some uber-rifle to compete. This shows how much diversity really exists and that a lot of people just run what they have, or put together what they can afford.

I want to know who the other 30 guys are running AI’s. At the monthly WI match there are only 4-5 regular AI shooters, and I’m having a hard time imagining 30 of them up in MI.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Nice to see that I am in good company with my trued up Rem action in the MPA Hybrid......Thanks for putting the list together....:cool:

I don't think we had 626 unique shooters this year.

My guess is there was 626 registrations over the course of the season. Of the 626 registrations AI was selected for 36 of them.

Reactions: Jknox1030
Hopefully Josh will chime in to clarify. If that was the case then I don’t understand the point of the data. I shot 5 matches, so 5 of the AI data points are me?

The “What the Pros Use” series takes the top 150 shooters (or whatever it is) and each person is one data point for each of their gear categories.

Maybe if I Shot an AI with a Vortex one match, and at the next match it was an AI with a NF, then there are two unique data points for AI when there should be one?

You can divide it by the number of matches this season in WPRSC and get an average amount of "AI" users per match. Same goes for Impact, Remington, Bighorn Etc

“This data was pulled from 626 registered shooters that participated in WPRSC events over the course of the 2019 match season.”

So...626 registered shooters actually means ~150 unique people, many of whom shot more than one match. I get what he’s going for but that data is very misleading. There aren’t really 69 people with Impacts or 36 people with AIs, there were 69 times that an Impact was registered at a match, and 36 times an AI was registered. We don’t know if that was 69 people with an impact that shot one match, or 10 people that shot seven matches.

Reactions: THEIS
“This data was pulled from 626 registered shooters that participated in WPRSC events over the course of the 2019 match season.”

So...626 registered shooters actually means ~150 unique people, many of whom shot more than one match. I get what he’s going for but that data is very misleading. There aren’t really 69 people with Impacts or 36 people with AIs, there were 69 times that an Impact was registered at a match, and 36 times an AI was registered. We don’t know if that was 69 people with an impact that shot one match, or 10 people that shot seven matches.

It makes more sense to break it down into averages

It's surprising that Remington is #1 these days but no surprise Impact is right on their heels.
Next year at this time I wouldn't be surprised to see this list jumbled up again, as the top spots seem to change every year.

If you can't win with a Remington, you can't win with an impact, defiance, or any of the other whiz bang actions.

Both of my back-up rifles are bone stock Remington. Most of the custom actions are improved variations of the 700.

So, other than idle curiosity, what's the point of these lists? Monkey see monkey do?

Reactions: FUNCTIONAL
So, other than idle curiosity, what's the point of these lists? Monkey see monkey do?

It was just three years ago that I was researching PRS and trying to figure out what rifle and gear I was going to need. The "what the pros use" was ok but not great for a new guy since that article series features pros who are sponsored and use the sponsor's products.

If you're new and wondering what the average shooter is using, this is much more relevant for helping determine what's needed to get set up especially if you are on a fixed budget. If you're experienced, then yeah it's just curiosity for the most part.

I want to know who the other 30 guys are running AI’s. At the monthly WI match there are only 4-5 regular AI shooters, and I’m having a hard time imagining 30 of them up in MI.
Feel free to shoot me an email at [email protected] and I'll shoot you the spreadsheet data I have on AI shooters.

Ken didn't forward me any names, so I can't tell you who they are (just what they're running). It's probably worth noting that each listing is from a unique registrant, so if 10 shooters ran AI's in 4 matches, 40 unique registrants would fall under the AI product category. If one shooter ran an AI in 2 matches, and a different action in 2 other matches, the results would be equally weighted between the two action types. Quite a few shooters ran multiple rifles over the course of the season (myself included).

My backup is an LRI-Rem700. Only got an Impact because I had my 20moa Badger rail come loose after a match. I like the one piece action bodies, but the LRI Rem 700 runs as good or better than my Impact, but that's LRI's magic. Them damn heavy Razors need the integral rail underneath!

It is interesting to look at what shooters outside the top 100 use, since that is less influenced by sponsorship etc.

One resource people may not be aware of is the PRS website itself. When any member joins for either the club series or the full national series they get a profile page with a gear survey. The PRS website provides a full list of the results of those surveys, continually updated as shooters update their profile pages. Its on the www.precisionrifleseries.com website on the home page, just scroll down. You can look at actions as well as all the other items that shooters use.

Here's a screenshot of what actions are being used across the nation by all PRS member shooters. As you can see there are hundreds of respondents.

Untitled-1.jpg