• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision What thermal for hunting 2019?

man32ahan

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2018
Fairfield, Illinois
As titles states, will be diving into the thermal world this year.

I’m a buy once, cry once type of guy.
Will be used for hunting coyotes/bobcats solely.

Was originally looking at the XP50 Trail LRF, but the new pulsar thermion being released has peaked my interest.

Any other options I should be looking at?

The LRF is not a requirement but does make it handy to have.

My main wants are clarity, on board recording, ease of use.

Reactions: Wiseshot
Right on bro.. I will be at Shot all week.. I can text you anything relevant in this
arena that I come across.. :)

Could you post your findings from shot? I'm interested too! More so for military grade clip ons.

I don't believe the N Vision has on board recording. From my understanding it is very similar to the Trijicons but has different glass, different housing and different buttonology.

I don't believe the N Vision has on board recording. From my understanding it is very similar to the Trijicons but has different glass, different housing and different buttonology.

“Digital suite of features includes onboard recording of still images or videos”

This is what it said on description so idk

Jojo, so which Nvision and which Trijicon do you run now?
You most likely still own both considering your comment here would
stand to reason that you bought one of each ...

Wouldn't that mean you bought twice? ;)

Please advise on which models you are running and why

Jojo, so which Nvision and which Trijicon do you run now?
You most likely still own both considering your comment here would
stand to reason that you bought one of each ...

Wouldn't that mean you bought twice? ;)

Please advise on which models you are running and why

Well, I've "bought" several times lol.. I have the Trijicon Hunter Mk3, pulsar XD38a, and a flir PTS233. I hunt with friends that run other units as well, but the Trijicon's have the best image quality. My preference is the hunter series because the turret system makes for a very nice friendly user interface.

The Nvision units aren't out yet (coming at shot show in the next couple of weeks), but retailers are starting to take pre-orders, so I haven't personally seen these, but from the reviews I have seen the image quality is on-par, if not a little better than the Trijicon units. They are also supposed to be cheaper than the Trijicon units, so they are definitely worth looking at.

Any decisions yet? We’ve had and used them all. All Trail XP models won’t dissappont. In my humble opinion I don’t think the Trijicon is worth the extra money. Doesn’t have onboard recording and you’ll have to run an external battery. That’s all just frustrating. Image quality is better than pulsar on a good clear night but looking through several both side by side multiple times have all showed the pulsar image cleaner and more crisp in less favorable conditions. And unfortunately here in Alabama we usually have poor conditions. My go to is the Trail XP50 LRF. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to go back to a unit without the rangefinder. Best $1000 I’ve spent so far. I’ve got 3 units right now. One will be for sale as soon as I get my new one in. Can’t go wrong with the pulsar. N Vision Unit is cleaner than it or the Trijicon. Still have to sacrifice a lot of features and dollar bills for a little better image quality that I’m not sure you need.

Reactions: ballistic1
Plus shot show sucks for checking out new thermals or night vision stuff. It’s all confined indoors and no comparison to reality. Half the stuff there is in its first stages too and half the features aren’t up and running yet. But I do believe this will be the year that N Vision will make a significant rise.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the Apex models came out last summer they had LRF models in both the XQ38 and XQ50 models. They were priced about $500 more than the basic model. I could see $500 for the LRF, but I'm pretty sure they are using the same LRF on the Trail models and I just can't see $1,000, but admittedly that is better than the $1,500 extra which they initially advertised. As you say, everyone will have to decide whether it is worth it for their particular needs. I appreciate your review which is as always very well done. Thanks!

Reactions: Wiseshot