• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision What Thermal?

jda2631

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
Mississippi
Long story short, I preordered a Halo XRF last February, I still haven't received it. Getting real tired of waiting, so thinking about cancelling my order and getting something else. I love all the features of the XRF, the thread on here with a few guys having serious issues with the range finder is giving me some concern also, but that issue does seem to be pretty rare.

This will be my first thermal, and with that pretty sold on a stand alone unit vs a clip on. Will use this for hogs mainly, maybe a few coyotes. As with most hog hunting, 95% of my shots will be within 150 yards, and most of those within 100. But I enjoy long range shooting, so will probably shoot some a lot further than that also, hence wanting the XRF.

Should I wait for the XRF, who knows when I will get it? Buy something else? Wait to see what is announced/released in the next few months, but I don't want to wait another year for a brand new product like I have so far with the XRF? Only reason I would wait for a currently unreleased product would be if its a game changer. As deer season is almost over and its time to get after the hogs. Budget is ~$10k.

Nox35 and a phenom hand held. The ranges you're talking about are going to be flat unless you're shooting subs. If you have a pvs 14 it's pretty easy to use your daytime rangefinder from a stationary position. Not so much if you're on the move.

Reactions: DIBBS and jda2631
I’d get a used HALO (they sell for 6K usually).

You can start using it right now.

When XRF units become plentiful, sell your HALO at zero or almost zero loss and get the XRF. This has the added benefit of potentially allowing more time for N-Vision to work out any XRF kinks before you buy yours.

I’d get a used HALO (they sell for 6K usually).

You can start using it right now.

When XRF units become plentiful, sell your HALO at zero or almost zero loss and get the XRF. This has the added benefit of potentially allowing more time for N-Vision to work out any XRF kinks before you buy yours.

That's a great idea I haven't thought of yet.

I would suggest you wait for new releases next week that I hear Pulsar is coming out with. There are going to be some new higher end releases that I understand will be “game changers” on the Pulsar line. If you're wanting something now, I would recommend the Thermion XG50 because it is a 12 micron BAE sensor that is a 3-24 magnification so it is good for 100 yards and longer distances with that 12 micron sensor. Again, my first reaction is to wait for the release next week on new units.

I would suggest you wait for new releases next week that I hear Pulsar is coming out with. There are going to be some new higher end releases that I understand will be “game changers” on the Pulsar line. If you're wanting something now, I would recommend the Thermion XG50 because it is a 12 micron BAE sensor that is a 3-24 magnification so it is good for 100 yards and longer distances with that 12 micron sensor. Again, my first reaction is to wait for the release next week on new units.
But with these new releases will they be readily available immediately or will there be supply/manufacturing issues and delays and I repeat the whole situation I'm currently in?

Last edited:
But with these new releases will they be readily available immediately or will there be supply/manufactoring issues and delays and I repeat the whole situation I'm currently in?
People might start selling their old gear (while they can get a reasonable price still) to prepare for some new goodies.

And - if the rumors are true, and there are real game changers in the lot, well, they might be worth the wait.

I see it the same way as with the newest phone model - the worst time to buy one, is the days before a new model is presented.

It sucks, but I would wait until after SHOT, and then decide.

Reactions: jda2631
I have an ATN Thor4 4.5x18 and absolutely love it. Game changer for my coyote hunting.

But with these new releases will they be readily available immediately or will there be supply/manufacturing issues and delays and I repeat the whole situation I'm currently in?
I'll know more next week.

I also spoke with my tech rep from Steiner who said:

"“I would recommend taking a look at the new Nighthunter S35 powered by Steiners Quantum Vision processor. The Hot Spot Tracking will quickly help you locate coyote of pig sized targets out to 2,000 yards. The Nighthunter S35 also offers among the largest internal memory capabilities with its 16GB onboard storage, 9 reticle options, and 6 different color palettes. Don’t wait supplies will not last.”

Last edited:
same boat order a xrf when they started accepting orders still waiting thankfully I have other gear otherwise i may have never shot a yote waiting for nvision I would really like to know what the hold up is why they are so slow on getting products out the supply demand issues sure dont seem to hurt iray or bearing optics from selling products i sure hope these company's introducing new theremal have a stock pile in there warehouse and we are not wait another year just having the same conversation (shot show 2023) stumbled upon this pic.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220112-161815_Messages.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220112-161815_Messages.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 71
Dont own a pulsar but from what I have heard they have had alittle supply issue maybe they have just been build a stock pile of all the new stuff they are about to drop🙏

They are in stock and ready to ship, it is an all metal construction and waterproof. The picture blows anything else at the price point out of the water.

Anyone having trouble getting an XRF, go on over to our website and setup a notification. We're receiving stock with a regular cadence (monthly).

If you'd rather wait with a bit more certainty, give either myself or @wigwamitus a haller, and we'll manually waitlist you.

$10K budget and I’m either buying a XG50 along with a Helion 2 XP50 PRO or a used Halo and a Helion 2 XP50 PRO. I’m not dumping it all into one optic, when a scanner is sooooo much more useful.

I was in the same position several years ago, but slightly smaller budget. I went with an XP50 LRF and XP38. The 38 was my scanner, but could double as another rifle optic as needed. The 50 was my full time rifle optic. I now run an XG50, and just sold my XP50 LRF2 that was my scanner. Will be replacing it this coming year once I see what’s out. If NVision would get their production up I’d be looking that way.

Anyone having trouble getting an XRF, go on over to our website and setup a notification. We're receiving stock with a regular cadence (monthly).

If you'd rather wait with a bit more certainty, give either myself or @wigwamitus a haller, and we'll manually waitlist you.

I just signed up for instock notification. You're still receiving xrf's fairly regularly? I ordered mine through another dealer, that is active on SH, they haven't gotten an XRF in awhile, they say they are getting all other nvision products pretty regularly, just not the XRF.

It's all Chinese. I know it's a shame, but it's solid.
Appreciate the answer. Well as much as I can say bad about Flir being how they did people I sure would have hoped Steiner would have used that for a FPA-Core.

Simply because while China might be able to make some good product, we at some point have to make a stand to not support communists, both foreign and domestic.

I might buy some cheap Chinese lights and low end product that anyone can make now and then, but big ticket high tech items that funds their march to global domination no.

Last edited:
Reactions: 338dude and TRP173
I'm not going to crap on your post with what I'd really like to say, but another unit in our group that was returned once already for LRF issues is randomly locking up while scanning. No buttons work until you pull the Batts. So for my small sample size of 4 we've one complete LRF failure, one mild LRF failure combined with lock-ups, one scope that works fine right beside 2 of them that won't, and one scope that's only been used once.
If you still like those odds, I can put you in touch with a dealer who will have a brand new one with all the latest and greatest fixes for sale next week.

Reactions: TheHebrewHammer
I hate to tell you this, but I'm willing to bet every microprocessor in all of your electronics are also Chinese. The raw materials used in BAE and FLIR processors are also Chinese. China has such a deep rooted control over the world market that every mass produced product has a significant percentage of the item, made in China, don't pay extra because they put the final touches in the US and than proceed to put a more error prone product as we can see above.

I hate to tell you this, but I'm willing to bet every microprocessor in all of your electronics are also Chinese. The raw materials used in BAE and FLIR processors are also Chinese. China has such a deep rooted control over the world market that every mass produced product has a significant percentage of the item, made in China, don't pay extra because they put the final touches in the US and than proceed to put a more error prone product as we can see above.
Well you are correct in there is some Chinese in most everything these days, but at some point you have to at least try to take the "hill back" or you will lose it forever. Funny how things work. The "Flying Tigers" just 80 years ago had to save China from Japan, now China has its heel on a large portion of the world.

Reactions: 338dude
I'm not going to crap on your post with what I'd really like to say, but another unit in our group that was returned once already for LRF issues is randomly locking up while scanning. No buttons work until you pull the Batts. So for my small sample size of 4 we've one complete LRF failure, one mild LRF failure combined with lock-ups, one scope that works fine right beside 2 of them that won't, and one scope that's only been used once.
If you still like those odds, I can put you in touch with a dealer who will have a brand new one with all the latest and greatest fixes for sale next week.
Your thread is what is giving me hesitation with the xrf. It's just so good on paper, I'm trying to convince myself yours all just came from the same bad batch or something.

Your thread is what is giving me hesitation with the xrf. It's just so good on paper, I'm trying to convince myself yours all just came from the same bad batch or something.
The one that's locking up and the one that hasn't been used were both bought last summer. Mine and the one that works were shipped together from the factory in early November, yet they are 150 serial numbers apart. That might not mean anything, it just seems odd. They knew about the LRF problems before mine was shipped and when I called them the day after receiving it, they said the issue rarely happened in only very specific conditions. Nothing could have been farther from the truth for my scope.

This thread is disappointing with the CHINA parts being used, not what I would expect with Steiner. I don't have a Thermal yet and don't know if I ever will. :mad:

This thread is disappointing with the CHINA parts being used, not what I would expect with Steiner. I don't have a Thermal yet and don't know if I ever will. :mad:
You typed that response on a Chinese device, so 🤷‍♂️

I’m in complete agreement that a high end thermal should be completely China free, and maybe some of them are, but Chinese components are a reality in 99% of our daily lives right now.

Buy used. Halo lr are around 5k. There was a halo 25 for 4k and there's a thermion xg50 (BAE core) for 4k.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
You typed that response on a Chinese device, so 🤷‍♂️

I’m in complete agreement that a high end thermal should be completely China free, and maybe some of them are, but Chinese components are a reality in 99% of our daily lives right now.
Something Steiner does not mention on the site. DAMN greedy Corporations.

Buy used. Halo lr are around 5k. There was a halo 25 for 4k and there's a thermion xg50 (BAE core) for 4k.
You say buy used, so of the scopes you mention above are they also using Chinese parts in the newer models?

You say buy used, so of the scopes you mention above are they also using Chinese parts in the newer models?

I'm sure the parts come from all over the world. I doubt you'll find anything 100% American made. A better way to think of it is probably Nvision/trijicon mostly not Chinese. Bering/Amg/Iray mostly Chinese. I don't know where pulsar fits into that. I think they're a European company?

I think the problem with Steiner is they are not up front with the Chinese internals. It's so bad they don't even know what the reticles are. They literally bought Chinese crap, put it in a metal housing, call it "made in Germany" and ship with the most underwhelming user manual and can't answer basic questions on the reticles. They admitted they have to go back to their "supplier" to answer what the drops are, are they mrad? Are they moa? Bdc? Who knows because it's all Chinese!

Reactions: Evolution 9
Awfully early to be an angry old man.
I get it, you sell Steiner so it's in your best interests to hype them up. Nothing I said was untrue. You don't even know what the reticles are!

And also for what it's worth anyone interested can get the best prices buying direct from Steiner. My S35 was well less than $3k. H35's are a little over $2k shipped with no taxes. At those prices is a decent deal even dealing with the Chinese internals and software. I would be pretty mad paying full price.