• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to buy - AI AE, AW OR AX

sweet17

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2011
Utah
I know enough to know that I want an Accuracy International rifle, but I'm having trouble sorting out the pros and cons of which model and which caliber to buy. I want a rifle and caliber that's appropriate for target shooting out to 1000 yards. And I want a rifle that is adaptable, accurate and reliable. I tend to take good care of my rifles, but I like the idea that if the going gets rough that I can rely on my rifle even if it gets banged around, dropped, dirty, etc. I also plan on putting a S&B 5-25x56 on this rifle. I also plan on passing this rifle on to my son some day...many years from now...

I think the AE is a bargain compared to the AW and AX, but I'd like to better understand what the AW and specifically the AX does better. I have squirreled away enough nuts to buy any of these rifles, and I don't mind paying for something special (I get the impression the AX is particularly desirable), but I want to fully understand what's special so I can justify things to myself.

All things being equal I'd like to go with something in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm not even sure that's an option for the AW or the AX. I understand the AE is being discontinued. But it's not clear to me if the AX was intended to replace the AW or if the AX does something the AW doesn't do??

The cost of the AX is similar to the AW so why buy the AW? I admit I have a lot to learn so maybe the differentiation between the AW and AX is obvious...just not obvious to me :) I appreciate and value subtleties if they truly add to the enjoyment of the ownership experience. I figure that a hundred years from now nothing matters anyway :)

Any insights would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I know enough to know that I want an Accuracy International rifle, but I'm having trouble sorting out the pros and cons of which model and which caliber to buy. I want a rifle and caliber that's appropriate for target shooting out to 1000 yards. And I want a rifle that is adaptable, accurate and reliable. I tend to take good care of my rifles, but I like the idea that if the going gets rough that I can rely on my rifle even if it gets banged around, dropped, dirty, etc. I also plan on putting a S&B 5-25x56 on this rifle. I also plan on passing this rifle on to my son some day...many years from now...

I think the AE is a bargain compared to the AW and AX, but I'd like to better understand what the AW and specifically the AX does better. I have squirreled away enough nuts to buy any of these rifles, and I don't mind paying for something special (I get the impression the AX is particularly desirable), but I want to fully understand what's special so I can justify things to myself.

All things being equal I'd like to go with something in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm not even sure that's an option for the AW or the AX. I understand the AE is being discontinued. But it's not clear to me if the AX was intended to replace the AW or if the AX does something the AW doesn't do??

The cost of the AX is similar to the AW so why buy the AW? I admit I have a lot to learn so maybe the differentiation between the AW and AX is obvious...just not obvious to me :) I appreciate and value subtleties if they truly add to the enjoyment of the ownership experience. I figure that a hundred years from nothing matters anyway :)

Any insights would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The AX is the replacement for the AW. AW has been around a LONG time. What your choosing between those two is which stock do you like more? Not every one likes the AW stock, some find the AX to be better. Also unless your jumping out of a chinook...or just really want the AW....save yourself some money and buy the AE. They aren't going to shoot any different.

I've had all three and currently have an AX. Overall I like the AX much more. It has a lot of little enhancements that go a long way. Flush cups, forend with tons of attachment possibilities (really nice if you run an atlas, don't have to use that retarded floppy spigot), more ergonomic foregrip, mag well side cut so mags can be loaded without lifting the rifle when in low positions. The new design trigger on the AX is the best I have used in any platform too. That said I do really like the grip of the legacy chassis more but thats my personal preference, plenty of people prefer the pistol grip and can't stand the legacy skins.

The biggest difference between a AE MKIII and AW is the true double stack mag. It's much easier and faster to load than the single feed stagger stack AICS mag the AE uses and the AW mag can also be top loaded. That's really the only difference you'll notice as the end user. The bonded action doesn't do a diddly damn and rumor is in the future they won't be bonded.

Basically you need to decide if the upgrades are worth the cost difference. To me it was despite finding the grip on the legacy chassis more ergonomic. Personally I'd wait a few months and see what AI rolls out at SHOT. It's going to be big.

What to buy - AI AE, AW OR AX

Sounds like if you don't know what you want you shouldn't buy something just yet.

Although, if I had cash burning a hole in my pocket I could pick up an AW here for under $4500.

Last edited:
the ax and aw are the toughest since they are glued into the stock, have tougher actions, battle proven, and made for the toughest of environments. They shoot one ragged hole and preform amazingly. The ax just has more fit and more adjustability with a nice sleek look. The ae is still an amazing piece but the little things make the other rifles better for all environments. If I had the money it'd be a AW or AX its hard choice, if you get to shoot them do it and it'll settle it right then and there.

This is pretty false info. First the action being bonded to the chassis doesn't make the rifle any tougher, rumor is that AI is doing away with the bonding anyway. The AW and AX action also really aren't any tougher. The actions have more meat on them but the AE still has plenty. They use the same exact bolt which is really the heart of the action. The AE's main difference from the AW and AX action is the recoil lug and that lug is super thick and tough, no way it's any less tough. It does require the action to be removed from the chassis for barrel swaps though which isn't that big of a deal since you likely won't be changing barrels at the range anyway.

At the end of the day the difference between the rifles certainly is not robustness, it's features.

happy? The bonding to the chassis makes sure that it'll never get loose (which I highly doubt will ever come loose if torqued) and increases the accuracy (not enough to notice) or so some br shooter say.

I'm just curious....but do you have any actual experience with the platform other than shooting a demo rifle?

happy? The bonding to the chassis makes sure that it'll never get loose (which I highly doubt will ever come loose if torqued) and increases the accuracy (not enough to notice) or so some br shooter say. Not saying your wrong, I don't want to start a fight, you have the rifle I don't so your opinion is probably better I've only shot one.

A properly torqued action in a properly fitting chassis/stock insures it will never loosen, it doesn't have to be bonded. The epoxy on my AX is soft enough it can flex and doesn't do a thing as far as keeping anything from loosening. The screws aren't bonded.

Bonding the action does nothing for accuracy either, once again, that has everything to do with a properly fitting and torqued chassis. Not some "bonding" that is nothing more than flexible epoxy.

I don't see how the bonding does anything at all. My AE wasn't bonded and shot every bit as good and consistent as my AX and the AW and AWSM I had as well as the dozens of custom rifles that also weren't bonded.

I said I didn't want to fight so lets please get back on topic before the whole threads spammed, deleted my posts so no more comments please.

personally I think you are splitting hairs when comparing all the models. All of them will do exactly what you are wanting to do with them. I like the AW stock and am running an AX right now and I have to say the more I shoot it the more the stock grows on me. Personally going forward I would say AX is where I will be.

I have heard that AI is releasing some new stuff at shot in 2014. Is it worth waiting for? Probably but personally they won't be coming out with anything that would stop me from buying a rifle and enjoying it. You can always sit on the side lines and wait for the next best thing but will never actually be out shooting. If for some reason they have something "better" or more than likely something you want then sell that rifle and "upgrade". The AI is going to hold it's value so once you are in a quality rifle moving to some other model or caliber is a minor cost.

As for the caliber I am also running 6.5CM...you can contact Mile High and get one set up in 6.5CM from them. With that being said ballistically if you are just shooting paper/steel up to 1000 yards don't count out 308. Inside of 600 yards other then reduced recoil there isn't a big advantage to any of the 6 or 6.5mm rounds. If you really just want a good target rifle then buy a 6mm like 243, 6CM etc. They are even better then 6.5CM if all you are worried about is hitting targets. The 6.5mm will have an advantage if hunting etc but for paper punching the 6mm is pretty amazing round. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck to you...to steal John M line..."get out and shoot"!

Last edited:
I shot an AIAW in the mil several years ago (photo of the rifle and myself on the AINA web page) and recently obtained an exact spec rifle in 300 win mag less the custom built scope mount. I also have been shooting a Surgeon Rifle .338 Lapua PSR in an AX stock. I like them both. The new AX has some very good upgrades over the AW chassis. The Surgeon is crazy accurate and a little less money than a factory AIAX .338 Lapua, albeit hit and miss on availability. AIAX are usually available through most of the AI sponsors on this site. I would hold off until Shot Show 2014 to see what these guys have cooked up next. Also might see some good deals on earlier generation rifles pop up after the release of their newest technology. However you cut it, you can't loose. Just my narrow minded opinions.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices offered here. I debated a long time when upgrading (IMO) from my 308 TRG 22 to an 308 AI. I liked the fit of the AW best so that's the choice I made. I do not think the AX will shoot any better than the AW.On occasion I have shot 5 shot 100 yard groups as small as 0.179 moa with my hand loads in my AIAW folder. So i am very happy with my choice. That said if you can wait until the 2014 Shot Show to see what Ai comes out with I would do that.

Thank you all for your thoughts and advise. It helps a lot. I'm aware of AI's plans to discontinue the AE. I'm assuming they are going to replace it with something different/better at Shot Show in january... although the scuttlebutt I've heard from someone that frequents British gun forums is that the replacement will not be as capable as the AE. Hmmmm. I think the AE (or its replacement) is a bargain and very capable, but I'm seriously considering going the extra mile for the AX.

I'm not in a big hurry so I don't mind waiting on a purchase decision until Shot to see what AI has in their bag of tricks. Does anybody have any insights (or a crystal ball) as to AI making any significant changes to the AX?

Quick question about the AX forend rail system. It's my understand they come in various lengths (not sure what these lengths may be). If I go with a 24 inch barrel any thoughts or advise on the length of the forend rail I should choose?

Lastly, is the optional butt spike useful to most people? I've read that some guys like to use the butt spike AND a rear bag.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your thoughts and advise. It helps a lot. I'm aware of AI's plans to discontinue the AE. I'm assuming they are going to replace it with something different/better at Shot Show in january... although the scuttlebutt I've heard from someone that frequents British gun forums is that the replacement will not be as capable as the AE. Hmmmm. I think the AE (or its replacement) is a bargain and very capable, but I'm seriously considering going the extra mile for the AX.

I'm not in a big hurry so I don't mind waiting on a purchase decision until Shot to see what AI has in their bag of tricks. Does anybody have any insights (or a crystal ball) as to AI making any significant changes to the AX?

Quick question about the AX forend rail system. It's my understand they come in various lengths (not sure what these lengths may be). If I go with a 24 inch barrel any thoughts or advise on the length of the forend rail I should choose?

Lastly, is the optional butt spike useful to most people? I've read that some guys like to use the butt spike AND a rear bag.

Keep in mind they probably will release something at Shot 2014 however it might be a couple years till they ship anything to dealers! You have to decide when you want to actually get out and shoot, if you can wait a year or two then great but why not get something now and enjoy. If you have the money I say go AX, if it stretches your budget and you won't have enough for a quality scope then look at used or either an AE or AW. You can change the skins to get the pistol grip so it will feel like an AX.

When manufactures come out with something "better" it is a bit subjective at times. What might be better for one person might not be better for someone else.

My AX chassis has a 13" rail which is pretty common for both chassis and AI AX rifles. You can go longer but I think it's like 15" or something. The only reason to go longer is if you need the room for night optics and such. I have an S&B 5-25 and had an HDMR on the rifle and there is a lot of rail space ahead of the optic. So probably won't need a longer rail, I guess if for some reason you did you can always order one from AI.

I just installed the butt spike today and love it! I have been trying to get one and they have been impossible to find, luckily Mile High got some last week. I tried one out in May at a precision class and it was pretty cool. The rear spike has it's place and what is nice is if you don't need it it is out of the way, but when you do it pops right out. Where I find it handy is when you are set up on one target for a period of time shooting groups, doing ammo testing etc. I still would run a rear bag between it and the ground but it saves your hand from having to apply pressure to a rear bag adding tension into your hand. For movers or multiple targets etc I wouldn't bother with it. But for observation or when set up on a single target it's pretty sweet! It is the most expensive screw and spring I have ever bought lol but a nice addition to the rifle.

Hope this helps and let us know what you do!

PS great thing about AI is they hold their value really well. So if you buy something now and in two years you want something different keep your scope, sell the rifle and "upgrade".

Maybe I'm wrong but, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that a flat bottom action has more strength (i.e. riggidity, maybe?) than a round action when there is a cut-out for a magazine?

Thanks
Larry A

Generally yes it will be more rigid but that doesn't make the action any tougher. Have you ever broke a round action or heard of one breaking or cracking aside from an idiot filling a case with pistol powder?

I've owned all of them. I like the AW's. The AX chassis isn't as comfortable to me, and with the price of AW's anymore they aren't that much more than an AE.

I was just in the same boat you are in now. I had the money ready to spend and I was about to drop $6500+ on an AX. I slept on it and decided to go with the AE MkIII with plenty of magazines and spent the rest on an AR. I love the AI line and everything they make is top notch. I simply went with the AE because it is shoots light out, is tough, dependable, and I personally like the thumbhole stock. There is no wrong choice. The AW and AX are approximately $2,000 more.

Generally yes it will be more rigid but that doesn't make the action any tougher. Have you ever broke a round action or heard of one breaking or cracking aside from an idiot filling a case with pistol powder?
No I haven't. I was just wanting some clarification on whether what I hear was true or not. :)

The AX has a large amount of accessory rail space on the foregrip and a pistol grip. The AW has less accessory space without add-ons to the weapon. If you are using NV gear the AX will likely be easier to mount it.

The AW and AE have the spigot mount for a bipod. The AX you need to mount a plate to the accessory rail to put on a bipod. I prefer the AW/AE spigot as it is solid and simple.

The AW and AE have similar sling attachment points that are fixed on the chassis. The AX you can put the sling attachment points on multiple areas of the rail if you want and move them so it is more flexible.

The AW/AE you can run the thumbhole or a pistol grip. The AX only has the pistol grip right now.

The AX has an adjustable trigger with forward/backward movement to adjust for your finger size. The AE/AW have a fixed distance trigger. I prefer less adjustments on a trigger for a field rifle myself (less to go wrong/get loose/etc.). But other people really like the AX trigger adjustment feature. I've not used it yet to offer a first-hand account.

The AX has a side cutout for the magazine well so you can insert a magazine in a low prone position without moving the rifle. The AW and AE have a straight insert mag well. I could give or take the sidecut feature. Both styles work well for me.

The AW/AX have double stack magazines that sit lower from the bottom of the chassis. You can also load magazines through the ejection port which can come in handy for some kinds of shooting. The AE uses a single stack/feed magazine which sits out longer and can't load through the ejection port.

You can change barrels on all of the above rifles with a barrel vise and action wrench. Once you do it a couple times it is very fast and easily done in less than 10 minutes.

The AX/AW's bonded action is basically maintenance free. There is no need to check torque on the action or worry about them coming loose. The AE I would check torque on the action from time to time and make sure they are done to manufacturer specs. When I was doing rifle instruction, the only time I ran across gear that was the problem (and not the shooter), was when the optics or action came loose in the stock. So not having to ever worry about the action can bring peace of mind to some shooters. I like knowing myself the bonded AW action will never come loose and will hold exact factory spec forever.

The AX rail raises the scope mounting height about 1/2" over the AW. My preference is for the scope to be mounted as low as possible to keep the cheek weld/center of gravity of the rifle lower. Some people may not care about this. Depends on the shooter.

I'm not a fan of the metal shroud foregrip of the AX chassis myself. When I shoot sling supported, or weird positions, I often am grabbing pretty far out on the handgrip towards the front sling attachment point. I found it more comfortable for me to grab the plastic flat sides of the AW vs. the rounded metal shroud of the AX chassis. I also don't think grabbing metal is as comfortable if you are shooting and it is cold/wet out. It's more comfortable to hold only plastic/synthetic/wood even with gloves on.

I don't think the butt spike option is necessary unless you plan on shooting a lot of prone position groups. If you plan to compete, be aware that many comps today deliberately take you out of prone position for the shooting stages. Also there is no time to get into a perfect prone position with butt spike in most competitive situations. So if that is what you plan to do, the butt spike is probably just adding weight/cost/complexity to your rifle. I think a rear sand bag works just as well myself. If you are going to shoot a lot of groups on a square range though, the butt spike may be a good option.

Accuracy wise I suspect they are all just about the same. Meaning easily 0.5MOA rifles in competent hands. It's hard to go wrong with any AI rifle.

Last edited:
Well, I've had a AX for a good while now. I also use a AE mkI. They're both fine rifles and they shoot about the same. The AE has thousands of rounds through it and it still shoots great. Prior to these two rifles, I've shot Remington and Remington patterned custom actions almost exclusively using the AICS stocks.

Before buying my AX, I switched out my AICS stocked Surgeon rifle for the AX chassis. I shot a couple of comps like this and fell in love with the AX chassis. The AX chassis is really easy to stabilize while shooting off of barrack aides and odd positions. The double stack mags and the cut out on the side of the receiver makes loading the rifle while in a low prone position much easier. If I were were to choose, I would choose the AIAX.

Its easy if you are 14 years old and no one ever taught you to stfu. Ahhhh the interweb, the great equalizer!!

It helps when he doesn't multiquote or keeps posting multiple times in a row in the same thread rather than editing his post lol. If the kid would listen to those with first hand info rather than spew info he read the day before he would learn a lot more.

Btw, on the topic at hand, I wish I would have bought a used AW off the hide rather than an AE for two reasons. The double stack mags for easier loading and bonded chassis so that changing barrels would be a little quicker. All in all, they really aren't that big of an issue but for what some of the used AW's have sold for since I bought my AE, I could have bought the AW for the same money.

Last edited:
Or you can do what I am doing. I bought a AE now and I will still see what AI has to release at shot and get it too.

The AX/AW's bonded action is basically maintenance free. There is no need to check torque on the action or worry about them coming loose. The AE I would check torque on the action from time to time and make sure they are done to manufacturer specs. When I was doing rifle instruction, the only time I ran across gear that was the problem (and not the shooter), was when the optics or action came loose in the stock. So not having to ever worry about the action can bring peace of mind to some shooters. I like knowing myself the bonded AW action will never come loose and will hold exact factory spec forever.

Why is there so much misinformation about the bonded action? It has nothing to do with the torque on the action or the screws loosening. There's a reason AI is doing away with the bonded action. If it was going to cause it to loosen up they obviously wouldn't. A properly torqued action in a properly fitting stock is not going to loosen.

The double stack mags for easier loading and bonded chassis so that changing barrels would be a little quicker.

The barrel changes are faster on the AW and AX becuase of the flat bottom with integral recoil lug, not because of the epoxy. The AE actions have to be removed from the stock becuase of the recoil lug sandwiched between the barrel and action. Both are still very fast and all that's required is a few extra screws on the AE. The AW/AX you just need a barrel vise and a wrench.

Why is there so much misinformation about the bonded action? It has nothing to do with the torque on the action or the screws loosening. There's a reason AI is doing away with the bonded action. If it was going to cause it to loosen up they obviously wouldn't. A properly torqued action in a properly fitting stock is not going to loosen.

If the action is screwed and bonded to the chassis it won't come loose. I've seen other maker actions come loose in the stock and cause problems. It's not a big issue, but it happens. There is no need to check action bolts on the AW chassis. The only thing I check on the AW are the scope rings. Other than that, it requires no real looking after.

If the action is screwed and bonded to the chassis it won't come loose. I've seen other maker actions come loose in the stock and cause problems. It's not a big issue, but it happens. There is no need to check action bolts on the AW chassis. The only thing I check on the AW are the scope rings. Other than that, it requires no real looking after.

If it it improperly torqued it can and will come loose just like any other rifle. The epoxy is soft and has nothing to do with the torque on the action. I'll say it again, if a rifle, any rifle, comes loose in the stock it was from a stock that didn't fit the action right or not being torqued properly. If rifles were unreliable if they aren't glued together everybody would do it and AI wouldn't stop doing it.

If rifles were unreliable if they aren't glued together everybody would do it and AI wouldn't stop doing it.

My guess as to why they are not doing it on the AE and perhaps other models in the future:

1) Maybe it's just cheaper for them not to do it in terms of manufacturing/labor costs.
2) It's more flexible as it allows that action to be easily moved into different stock configurations because it is not permanently glued in.

In fact I had considered getting an AE and removing the AE chassis and taking the AI action and put it into a much lighter custom stock. But the costs would be too much for that kind of one-off project. But I think it would be nice to see multiple chassis styles in the future for traditional AI thumbhole, or F-Class style, etc. Just move the action into the new AI stock style of your choice and keep the reliable and proven AI action. You could never do that with an AW/AX because of the bonding.

The main point of all this is that I never have to check the AW action screws to be sure they are tight. They will never work loose unless there is something catastrophic going on. The action cannot come loose from the stock.

I do routinely check action screws on my other rifles. They can work loose over time due to recoil. I've seen it on my own rifles and other rifles in classes. It never happens with the AW because of the epoxied construction.

Last edited:
This forum is a gold mine of information. Thank you for all the helpful comments, insights and advise. I am fortunate to have salted away enough money to be able to buy a nice setup.

I've all but settled on an AIAX 6.5 Creedmoor, 24" barrel, muzzle brake, butt spike, 20 MOA rail, 13" forend tube, Atlas bi-pod, Spuhr mount and a Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 with either a P4F or MSR.

Well, I've had a AX for a good while now. I also use a AE mkI. They're both fine rifles and they shoot about the same. The AE has thousands of rounds through it and it still shoots great. Prior to these two rifles, I've shot Remington and Remington patterned custom actions almost exclusively using the AICS stocks.

Before buying my AX, I switched out my AICS stocked Surgeon rifle for the AX chassis. I shot a couple of comps like this and fell in love with the AX chassis. The AX chassis is really easy to stabilize while shooting off of barrack aides and odd positions. The double stack mags and the cut out on the side of the receiver makes loading the rifle while in a low prone position much easier. If I were were to choose, I would choose the AIAX.

Only a fucking Marine would call something a Barrack Aide..... flutterkicks.. go

To the OP:

I have an AE MkIII with a 1-10 Bartlein barrel. I'd love to have an AX, but couldn't justify the cost difference. If I was a man of more means, I would have bought an AX.
Will the AX or AW shoot any better than an AE? I can't see how it could. My AE is ridiculously accurate....it really surprised me. If you want a pistol grip (AX) versus a thumbhole (AE or AW), just buy an AE and get some viperskins (or the new AI pistol grip skins for the AE).

My dream rifle would be an AX with a Bartlein upgrade. The one feature that I wish my AE had that the AX has is the cut out on the left side to allow you to load a mag from prone without moving the rifle. You don't think about it at the time, but that is a really nice feature and was well thought out.

Long story short, if you have the money, get the AX. If you want a rifle that shoots just as good yet is a couple thousand cheaper, get the AE and roll the savings into a nice scope.

I can't believe you joined in april of this year and have 785 post! WOW!!!!

I am almost positive this guy is like 14 years old. I remember reading a post a while back but I cannot find or remember the user name... but this guy was talking about how hes like 13-14 years old and how hes having a $6k rifle built for him with his Christmas and birthday money! It was absurd to say the least.
long range newbie also commented on one of my threads about barrel contour and he said his DAD bought him the wrong contour that he asked for but he was 'still happy'!!!!!! HIS DAD! I replied with "I wish my daddy bought my barrels also." - No response.

He honestly sounds like a punk 13 year old brat, from a very wealthy family, who has developed an addiction/ fascination to firearms via the INTERNET with little to no real experience and posts all the hell over The Hide acting like he knows what he is talking about.

But it is the internet. He could be 43. And still living with mommy and daddy.

I go back and forth AE AX AE AX. but I appreciate the subtle features the AX offers, and I have stashed away enough beans for an AX and a nice scope (S&B 5-25) so I'm most likely going AX :)

To the OP:

I have an AE MkIII with a 1-10 Bartlein barrel. I'd love to have an AX, but couldn't justify the cost difference. If I was a man of more means, I would have bought an AX.
Will the AX or AW shoot any better than an AE? I can't see how it could. My AE is ridiculously accurate....it really surprised me. If you want a pistol grip (AX) versus a thumbhole (AE or AW), just buy an AE and get some viperskins (or the new AI pistol grip skins for the AE).

My dream rifle would be an AX with a Bartlein upgrade. The one feature that I wish my AE had that the AX has is the cut out on the left side to allow you to load a mag from prone without moving the rifle. You don't think about it at the time, but that is a really nice feature and was well thought out.

Long story short, if you have the money, get the AX. If you want a rifle that shoots just as good yet is a couple thousand cheaper, get the AE and roll the savings into a nice scope.

I just went through the same decision. At first I was planning on getting an AE due to cost. Then I decided I wanted the double stack mag and could stretch my budget for the AW. The only problem with the AE/AW is my wife hates my AICS stock. I hadn't really considered the AX at first. I assumed it was out of my budget. Eurooptic had an AX308 unfired demo for a great price so that sealed the deal for me. So far I love it. It has the bartlein 24" barrel. Either I'm getting better with it or the barrel is settling in. It seems to group better every time if shoot it. I wanted a 260 but don't mind having it in 308 for now as I plan on getting other barrels for it soon. I've already got the action wrench and barrel vise.

Regardless of your choice, consider yourself 'fortunate' to be able to have the means to have to choose between such fine systems... This isn't a bad problem to have. I've considered selling an organ to get an AI. LOL

AIAX with S&B 5-25?! Yes please!!

Im new to this forum, just picked up my first AI AE in 308 used. been doing some reading. from what ive learned as of recent is that ai is doing away with their ae model and will be releasing a new version i believe at the next shot show. skimmed this thread and dont know if anyone else has mentioned it so far. but food for thought

AI announced this on snipershide a few weeks ago... Regardless, welcome aboard.

I got my Ai AX 6.5 Creedmoor 24" barrel with a S&B 5-25x P4F from the folks at Mile High Shooting, and all i can say is this thing is awesome (and heavier than sh*t). I took it to the local range this morning (cold and snowing) to zero the scope at 100 yards. the results were all rifle in spite of me (beginner's luck).

quick question about storing or transporting the rifle. in some cases i want to remove the bolt and store it outside of the rifle. when i remove the bolt it cocks the firing pin. i have a feeling there's an obvious answer (but i don't know what it is :) how do you decock the firing pin for cases where you want to store the bolt outside of the rifle? or is it fine to leave the bolt cocked while in storage?

Last edited:
I store the rifle "folded" in a case. the AI AX butt stock folds to one side and the bolt handle is on the opposite side. This results in things sticking out all over the place. Removing the bolt allows the folded rifle to lay flatter which makes it easier to close the case.

Why in the world would you want to take the bolt out for storage?

You really should look into better storage options. A case is no secure that putting it in your closet and most foams hold moisture. You should look into getting a safe, that's a very expensive purchase you made to leave it in a hard case.