• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to do.......what to do. I've got a chance at a dream rifle.

libertyman777

Are you gonna eat that....
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2007
Heflin, Alabama
I'm going to think out loud here a bit. It helps me sort out my thoughts. Please feel free to chime in, especially if you've found yourself in my shoes.

I've been shooting for a number of years, actually started 32 years ago when I enlisted in the Marine Corps. I've owned some accurate rifles. I friend who is a custom builder did me a favor and made me a nice 6.5 CM on a 700 action. It was an outstanding shooter. I had an old Steyr SSG, also a shooter. FN SPR (I forget which one, A2 I think). Family, kids, two jobs, etc., means that the really high end rifles are out of my league. Right now I'm shooting my daughter's Savage Hog Hunter in .308. That thing is stupid accurate. Loves 155 Hornady over a healthy throw of Varget. It'll shoot under an 1" all day long at 100 yards off a bipod in the factory stock. I was thinking seriously about restocking it but it's her rifle and she likes it as it is.

Then I found a Sako TRG 22 for sale locally. It's not cheap but it's under $2K. Just the rifle, magazine and hard case but it's like new. And I've wanted one for a LONG time. Long enough for them to fall out of "favor" with the shooting crowd as folks are always looking for the latest and greatest.

But then there's that pesky Ruger RPR gumming up the works. By all accounts, they are accurate. The Gen 2 seems to have all the kinks worked out. Probably easier to rebarrel at home than a Savage, which says a lot.

The practical "dad" side says, buy the RPR. For what you'll pay for the TRG, you'll have enough left over for some glass and I could get it in 6mm CM, buy some brass, develop a load, just have a tremendous time. And when I'm ready, buy another barrel. Or start out in .308 or .223...............aaarrrggghhhhh!!!

I'm a hunter (primarily from stands and shooting houses overlooking oak flats and green fields), so I'm not humping a rifle very far. I'm also a recreational shooter. Just the local 100 yard range but I'm not far from the new CMP range at Talladega which goes out to 600 yards and Hard Rock down at Auburn (they shoot to 1000). I've shot neither venue but would like to. F-TR or similar .308 classes seem like the way I would go.

There are 25 countries currently using a TRG variant, with 9 selecting the 22. To me that means that it is ready to run full speed right out of the box. I could possibly get a factory RPR that may not shoot satisfactory. I'm not a high volume shooter, maybe 500 rounds per year if I shot a few matches, perhaps more. But my guess is that with a good barrel, I would be 8-10 years from a rebarrel. But if I had to rebarrel the Ruger from the get go, I would be at the cost of the TRG.

So what say you?

P

just buy the TRG......its the one you really want, and youll regret it if you dont buy it when you have the chance.

the RPR is ok......but it feels cheap......and looks gaudy as hell with, especially with the clamshell design.

Reactions: ototallydude
I would get the TRG and do what I had to do to put good glass on it.

But then, I don't hunt.

I'd go with the TRG. It's more of a known quantity than an RPR given that RPR barrels are a gamble from what I've seen. Some of them shoot lights out and some are mediocre at best. The fit and finish of the TRG will also blow the RPR out of the water. I don't know where you're able to get a TRG for under $2000 but I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.

Although I want to say "follow your heart" (the TRG) it kinda comes down to what caliber you want as well. If you're going to be happy with a 308, the TRG by all means. It'll serve you better for hunting anyway. On the other hand, if you've really got a woody for a 6mm, the RPR. In the final analysis however I think the TRG would fill more of your wants, you've wanted one for a long time, they really stand out, it would fulfil the F-TR you want to get involved with, it would also get you out to a 1000 yds without a problem as well for a little LR work when you can get to that range. Besides, a 308 is kinda like a 1911, ie, everyone should own at least one! Good luck with you decision, let us know which way you went!

Consider if you want the ergonomics of a tactical stock vs AR grip as well. Nothing worse than a great looking pair of shoes that don't fit.

TRG all the way between those two but just be aware the TRG has possible money pit areas. If you are fixated on the TRG bipod its expensive and proprietary but you can use a Harris or Atlas just fine but may need to buy an Anschutz rail or the Atlas mount. TRG spare mags are sucky expensive. The OEM scope rail is a POS you will likely replace with a NEAR rail or Spuhr dovetail mount. If you have a suppressor, you need to re-thread the muzzle. You'll want to do the Limbsaver recoil pad mod.

TRG is twice the rifle the RPR is plus it's your dream right? Go for it!

TRG TRG TRG. RPR's are very..........blah.............. If you don't buy the TRG you'll regret it. If you buy the RPR, you'll regret it soon and wish you would have just bought the TRG.

I'm a big fan of my RPR. Like it more than my Bighorn and it outshoots the bighorn as well. But I can tell from your post that you've got your heart set on the TRG so you should get the TRG.

This is assuming its in the caliber you want.

This one is easy. I've got both a 42 and an RPR. For $2K, get the TRG. At that kind of money you can shoot it and then sell it if it doesn't do what you want it to. The opportunity to buy a new RPR will always be there. You are very unlikely to have an opportunity at a TRG, that is as new, for that kind of money, again.

I'll recommend what everyone sw has as wel. Having recently had both and sold both, the one I regret selling the most is the trg22 for sure. I'd especially regret it if it was under 2k.

Best of luck to you, but I was in the similar position with a trg22 a dream rifle and was not disappointed at all by the sako.

Gentlemen. Thank you for the replies. I actually did not expect all of them to be in favor of the TRG but the reasoning is sound. Once I purchase it, I will post pics. Should a week to 10 days.

Now I guess the next question is glass. I'll start a new thread.

Thanks fellas.

Paul

Don't start a thread about what glass. There are plenty of them already. Just spend time reading, but at the end of the day pick something of the highest quality within your budget and be done with it.

Paralysis by analysis is dumb.

Liberty, you mentioned the M700 "was" a good shooter, what happened to it?

It looks like you've tried some different brands out but have you shot the RPR? I like it except the rear stock doesn't place into my shoulder right, it's too low. It does feel cheaply made but at least it functions well. Rather than putting money into one I'd rather buy a used custom actioned rifle.....

Like mentioned it'd be fun to try the TRG and it looks like you've got your mind made up but 308??? Well FTR and 308 works... I had a TRG42, yeah it was a cool rifle but I sold it and bought what I really wanted. If I were to try a 60 degree bolt throw and two stage trigger again it'd be AI. Buy the TRG and if not as enthused later then you can get your money back pretty easily.

Tikka custom in 6BRA, for less than $2000??? If I wasn't set already...

I regret selling my TRG. I did end up buying an AI, but the TRG I had was my first 6.5 Creedmoor. My vote is for the TRG. You won't be happy until you buy it :)

Like mentioned it'd be fun to try the TRG and it looks like you've got your mind made up but 308??? Well FTR and 308 works... I had a TRG42, yeah it was a cool rifle but I sold it and bought what I really wanted. If I were to try a 60 degree bolt throw and two stage trigger again it'd be AI. Buy the TRG and if not as enthused later then you can get your money back pretty easily.

I'm cool with .308 because most every competition has some class or division for .223 and .308 rifles. I already have everything to load for .308 as well. My son and I are going to get more involved in the local shooting opportunities. I'm handling the bolt gun and he's going to build the service rifle upper. So we will be sharing too but that will be fine.

Don't start a thread about what glass. There are plenty of them already. Just spend time reading, but at the end of the day pick something of the highest quality within your budget and be done with it.

Paralysis by analysis is dumb.

Well my thoughts on glass are such:

Right now I have an IOR 10x42 with MP-8 reticle. It is really a great scope in every way. It will do fine until I can get some money saved. I'm not sure if I can even be competitive in FT-R with 10x but I can at least play.

I have a dream scope as well. It's a Vortex Razor Gen 1. I looked through one once and was blown away. I know there is better out there but the price on these are coming down and it is realistic for me.

But that is a couple of years down the road. I really like Vortex Products. I was thinking about the 6.5-20x50 Viper. Personally, I think they are much better than anything out there at their price point but I'm open to suggestions.

P

I'm not sure if I can even be competitive in FT-R with 10x but I can at least play.
If you haven't been shooting in a while, you won't be competitive in F-TR for some time, no matter what you show up with. With a 1 MOA 10 ring, a 1/2 MOA X ring, and win/place/show often decided by X count, you gotta have your shit together in every possible way to do well.

Stick that IOR on that TRG, have fun doing whatever you want with it, don't worry about being competitive, and enter every match you can with two goals: have fun, learn something.

Like new TRG22 for under 2K??? Grab it Jarhead, and don't look back. They are great guns, and will serve you well.

Roger that!! I should get my paws on it soon, hopefully next weekend. It's a local sale but the guy said 300 rounds down the tube. We shall see.

P

If you haven't been shooting in a while, you won't be competitive in F-TR for some time, no matter what you show up with. With a 1 MOA 10 ring, a 1/2 MOA X ring, and win/place/show often decided by X count, you gotta have your shit together in every possible way to do well.

Stick that IOR on that TRG, have fun doing whatever you want with it, don't worry about being competitive, and enter every match you can with two goals: have fun, learn something.

I appreciate that candid frankness. I do tend to get the cart before the horse at times. That IOR is really good glass. Thanks.

You live near Talladega but have never been to the CMP, YOU MONSTER! I try to get there once or twice a month and it's a 2 hour drive for me, it's a fantastic facility. I know I am late to the party but my vote is also for the TRG.

Pics or it didn't happen

300 rounds down the tube. Rifle looks new. I didn't think I was going to like the home brew paint job but after seeing it in person.

My my initial impression is how light it is. Ok maybe not light but extremely well balanced.

Pleasant surprise, the barrel has the front sight groove as I've read that not all have it.

I'm now looking for an 18x2 to 5/8x24 adapter.

Also looking for the three ring scope mount.

IMG_1864.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

Wow dude you scored YUUUGE!

That camo job looks sweet and I'm normally not a fan. Lucky dawg......

well done!
The TRG will be a great piece for you to keep and hand on , the RPR will always be a cheap rifle made as a stopgap for people on a budget, nothing wrong with that but not special like a TRG

It wasn't an invitation to start a pissing match. It was a legit question from me, who has plenty of trigger time with high end Anschutz rifles but has never had the chance to shoot a TRG.

If you have no basis to compare the two, just say "I don't know" and that's that.

It wasn't an invitation to start a pissing match. It was a legit question from me, who has plenty of trigger time with high end Anschutz rifles but has never had the chance to shoot a TRG.

If you have no basis to compare the two, just say "I don't know" and that's that.

Ok. I haven't shot a Anschutz, Only a Sako TRG(better of the two) & M10. I don't know, and sounds you don't either, Pardner.......

Once again congrats to the OP the rig. Hope you don't decide to sell and make a couple hundred. It won't be worth it. One of the nicest rifles out there IMHO. Just expensive components, i.e.: bipod, mags, ect...........

Keep an eye out at optics planet. Once in a while they run a sale and let you use a 10% off coupon as well. It really helps to bring the prices down. Think I paid just over $300 for the bipod.

Well she’s up on her feet. Since I had a serviceable bipod, I picked up a rail adapter. I spent extra for the Badger rail because it’s steel and leaves a gap for the back up sights.

Sent my unfired brake in 5/8x24 back to Elite Iron for an M18x1. Now I’m working on glass.

Attachments

• photo75671.jpg
    photo75671.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 38
Congrats OP, you did extremely well! I absolutely love that camo job too, man that was a hell of a find. In all honesty, you shouldn't ever need to upgrade from there unless you just get the itch. Enjoy that fine shooter!