• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

What to do with an old BDL Varmint Special?

supratt96

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2010
New Jersey, USA
I have a 1970 Remington 700 BDL Varmint Special in 25-06. It was a tack driver up till recently, but now, not so much. I have about 700 rounds through it. Not exactly sure about the round count before I bought it, but I would estimate a total round count of about 1500. The rifling still looks good, but the throat is probably toast by now.

Anyway, trying to decide what to do with it. In the past, I used it for casual target shooting and varmint hunting (slow twist barrel). Since I have acquired a number of good varmint rifles over the years, I am thinking about turning this one into a LR target/hunting rifle (medium size game). I haven't ruled out the idea of selling it either, if that ends up making more sense.

I already have a TRG-22 on order (one of the Euro Optics .260s), so I don't really need another purely tactical rifle. I'm thinking along the lines of "light tactical" or straight up hunting rifle. I guess I want to eat my cake and have it too since a want it reasonably light (no more than 8 to 9 lbs, excluding optics and accessories), but I also want it to be superbly accurate (sub 1/2 moa). Budget would be $3k max, excluding optics.

I am hoping for suggestions and ideas. What would you do with it if it was yours?

By the way, it currently has a HS Precision stock I bought for it about 12 years ago. Is this still a good stock by todays standards?

Thanks for your help!

Mark

Re: What to do with an old BDL Varmint Special?

Well you jleave it wide open for comments,

What are your actual intentions with it? Dedicated use, preferred caliber??

If it were me I would say
Send it off for a new barrel, , medium sporter, fluted, in your choice of caliber, at same time have the action trued, oversize recoil lug installed, maybe even support one of the great smiths on the hide.... my chices would be 257 roberts, 280 AI, 30-06, etc again depending on inteded purpose
Keep the hs stock or sell it to buy a bell and carlson medalist alaskan style(lighter yet just as well built)
Have trigger adjusted, replace the bottom metal, ptg or williams,
quality base and rings if light weight is wanted go talley
Find an older leupold vari x III, or another preferred scope( I say older leupold as everyone here states they are better built)

Take pictures and post them here when done, shoot it lots and let us see the results lastly Have fun and enjoy it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mlh29</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well you jleave it wide open for comments,

What are your actual intentions with it? Dedicated use, preferred caliber??

If it were me I would say
Send it off for a new barrel, , medium sporter, fluted, in your choice of caliber, at same time have the action trued, oversize recoil lug installed, maybe even support one of the great smiths on the hide.... my chices would be 257 roberts, 280 AI, 30-06, etc again depending on inteded purpose
Keep the hs stock or sell it to buy a bell and carlson medalist alaskan style(lighter yet just as well built)
Have trigger adjusted, replace the bottom metal, ptg or williams,
quality base and rings if light weight is wanted go talley
Find an older leupold vari x III, or another preferred scope( I say older leupold as everyone here states they are better built)

Take pictures and post them here when done, shoot it lots and let us see the results lastly Have fun and enjoy it </div></div>

Intended use will be 75% target shoting, 25% hunting. Currently, the longest range in my area is 600 yards, but I will be moving to Texas in a a couple years, so I want something capable of reaching out to at least 1000 yds. I purposely didn't mention caliber because I am very undecided on that. I have considered 280 AI, also leaving it as a 25-06 or possibly 6.5-284. Don't think I would go larger than a 7mm bore.

Good suggestions. Thanks.

Thats the only Long action varmint special that they made, if it was all original it'd be worth a bunch, the stock would be really hard to find. Barreled action might be worth more than you think.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottx88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats the only Long action varmint special that they made, if it was all original it'd be worth a bunch, the stock would be really hard to find. Barreled action might be worth more than you think. </div></div>
I'll second this.

Ease your mind of all the worry and sell it to me cheap since the barrel is shot out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldgrayone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ease your mind of all the worry and sell it to me cheap since the barrel is shot out.</div></div>

You're all heart, lol.

Figures, though. I intended to keep the original stock, but it cracked when I tried to do a "do it yourself" bedding job on it. Maybe I will list it and see what kind of offers I get.

I can't speculate on what your barreled action is worth. But if you were going to do something with a LA 700 might I suggest .284 Winchester? With your accuracy requirement I'm going to say you better look strictly at cut rifling barrels.

I have one just like it except with the original stock. Bought it used in '75. A few years ago I got to thinking it was getting a little off so I had it recrowned, action bedded, and barrel freefloated. That got it back pretty good but it's not a .5 moa gun. At least not with factory ammo. Still, I gave it to my brother and he picks off "those damn fish eatin' birds" on the pond 200yds in front of his house pretty regularly and rarely misses. I vote to restore it. Cracked stocks can be fixed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fngmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> But if you were going to do something with a LA 700 might I suggest .284 Winchester? With your accuracy requirement I'm going to say you better look strictly at cut rifling barrels. </div></div>

+1 for the straight up .284

Package up the barreled action, & both stocks for someone as an old nostalgia shooter. Put the $$ with your 3k for a custom barreled action, trigger, stock. Fresh as daisies.

I went through this about a year ago..found a 700 LA CHEAP in a pawn shop. Didn't really need another bolt gun....but, I don't think any of us here would have passed up that deal. LOng story short, I bounced around between the .284, 6.5x284, and 6.5-06. I ended up going with a 6.5x284. If you have a gunsmith you like or use often, give them a call and bounce the ideas around.

As for me (still waiting on it to be completed) I ended up placing it into a McM HTG stock, Badger bottom metal and bolt knob, a 25 in medium palma contour fluted barrel, and of course all the good action work to make it better. Good luck with your build!

B.

I would rebarrel it with a quality premium barrel, chambered in a cartridge that is based on the same .30-'06 parent casing. The chambering choice would simplify feeding and bolt face issues, etc. I'd choose a contour that duplicates the original, as well as a matching surface finish. For LA cartridges, my preference would be for a 26" length (or maybe a little more)

For such chambering choices, my preferences would be for the .30-'06, .270, or .280.

In all other respects, I would leave the rifle unmodified, except perhaps for a good detail cleaning. Long action varmint rifles are relatively rare, and I feel a decent one should be appreciated for its own original attributes. I don't particularly favor the .25-'06 chambering, and feel that the three chamberings I refer to above are better ways of efficiently utilizing the case capacity while enjoying better bore life.

Greg

My gut feeling is that once you get and start shooting that new TRG, all other rifles are gonna take a back seat and gather dust.That 260 is pretty well gonna cover most of what you think you'd do with that 700 unless you make it a bigger, long range cartridge.So, if it was me I'd sell it first.....or introduce it to it's new life namely pushing 300 wm rounds out there in space.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Exhogflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My gut feeling is that once you get and start shooting that new TRG, all other rifles are gonna take a back seat and gather dust.That 260 is pretty well gonna cover most of what you think you'd do with that 700 unless you make it a bigger, long range cartridge.So, if it was me I'd sell it first.....or introduce it to it's new life namely pushing 300 wm rounds out there in space. </div></div>

You make a good point. It's no wonder I'm so indecisive on this one. There are so many interesting alternatives.