• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to do with this Rem 700? Re barrel? PICS!

cttbax

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2010
Augusta GA
www.1911market.com
Alright don't flame me.. but I got a very nice Rem 700 22-250 varmint model heavy barrel with laminated wood stock from my Grandfather when he died among other guns.

We used this gun to shoot prairie dogs for years. He had this one built and a .223 one to match as well. It has a timney trigger and a decent Leupold VX II scope, but it has a super fine reticule that I am not wild about.
Anyways, the barrel is all but shot out man, I mean that gun has seen a ton of rounds, it has been loaned to friends and family members for years and years. The jeweled bolt is worn looking the stock is in pretty decent condition with a few nicks from moving in the safe and shooting out of windows of trucks (P dogging). However the accuracy is starting to suffer, I tried to get an estimate from my Dad on how many rounds she has shot, and he said he wouldn't be surprised if it were well over 3000 maybe more.

So anyways, I have a .223 Cooper varmiter and a AR for my P dog killing needs. I also have a 300 win mag. So here I have this nice little short action that I don't really shoot. Shooting 22-250 doesn't really do much for me.

Should I re-barrel this thing? Am I a douche for even thinking this? If I do re barrel it, any suggestions on caliber? I am leaning towards .308 or possibly some one off caliber... dunno. I could pretty much do anything with this gun.

Re: What to do with this Rem 700? Re barrel?

you could always rebarrel to 22-250 Ackley Improved with fast twist barrel. That way you could load up the 75gr Amax's and run them out to 1000. Would make a good all around gun for Pdog and having fun.

22-250 with 3000 rounds down tube?

Hell yeh re-barrel!

If it were less I would say, perhaps consider losing a couple inches and get her re-crowned and a new chamber cut but unless it were a super barrel thats not worth it.

Breath some new life into your family treasure... if it wont break the bank.

If it were me i would fix her up a little just out of respect for the old man... new barrel, maybe a new bolt body if its really busted up bad.

Im not much of a "specific" caliber for specific needs kinda guy. Im fine to own a small rimfire, a .223, a .308 and maybe a Cheytac... thats it dude 4 guns for me, maybe 5 if you throw in a shotgun.

So for me seeing your .223 and .300winmag, i see a gun good enough for pretty much anything. I would only ever rechambed a mid sized round if i wanted a benchrest setup. But i would most likely go custom for something so precise as a BR rifle.

I dunno dude... you got me thinking on this.

I vote restoration, make her a tack driving safe queen that gets taken out on the odd occasion for rememberin the old man and exploding P-dogs at long range.

I dont think it is a douche move to rebarrel the rifle, it will still have sentimental value no matter what barrel is on it keeping it useful. 6.5x47 is sounding interesting for me after doing some reading about it.

Having 223's and the 300 midas well have something in the middle to fill the gap to match what your plans are for the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you could always rebarrel to 22-250 Ackley Improved with fast twist barrel. That way you could load up the 75gr Amax's and run them out to 1000. Would make a good all around gun for Pdog and having fun. </div></div>

Wow that sounds like fun... hmmm

Borescoping will tell if the throat is shot.

If it isn't (but it should be with 3K rounds, if you can be certain about that), long-term bore soaking with Hoppe's #9 (the regular stuff, it won't hurt to leave it in there, just don't let it dry out), and a visit to the 'smith to consult about the wisdom of recrowning, and you may get some more life out of that baby.

If it's toast, I suggest rebarreling with an L-W Stainless barrel. I think the LW-50 Stainless has some bore life advantages.

With all due respect to .22-250AI afficionados, the regular .22-250 chambering is plenty ample. She's 'a already a barrel burner as is...

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

With all due respect to .22-250AI afficionados, the regular .22-250 chambering is plenty ample. She's 'a already a barrel burner as is...

Greg</div></div>

True, but that is what we pay gunsmith's for
smile.gif

He also has two 223's already so when he wants to plink and shoot a lot, he has those to do it with.

i would look into rebarreling into the 6x47 or 243? it would make for a great all around rifle. if you make it an 8 or 7.5twist you can shoot 87gr vmax all the way up to the 115gr dtacs.

Send It!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i would look into rebarreling into the 6x47 or 243? it would make for a great all around rifle. if you make it an 8 or 7.5twist you can shoot 87gr vmax all the way up to the 115gr dtacs.

Send It!!!</div></div>

Another good idea. The 6.5 will have longer barrel life than the 243 if that concerns you at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glazer1972</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.308 1:10" </div></div>

This is what I am leaning towards. I have a stack of nice .308 brass, dies etc...

I am shopping for barrels now.... never done that before...lol

Ok guys help me pick a new caliber. I want to be able to hunt deer/antelope with this caliber and smack varmints (coyotes and P dogs). I am going on a P dog shoot with my Dad this summer in South Dakota ya know? and I would like to have this gun rebuilt and ready to go.

Here are a few of the calibers I am mulling over.

6.5x47 Lapua
http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek084.html

.243 Winchester
http://www.chuckhawks.com/243Win.htm

.257 Weatherby
http://www.chuckhawks.com/25mag.htm

I am leaning towards something that is not a barrel burner. The scope and stock are going to go. I don't think its worth the time to bed the stock Remington wood stock. It will probably end up in a McRee or a McMillan A-5.

Here are a few pics of the gun in question: 26" factory Rem barrel..Varmint contour?

IMG_20101225_190206.jpg

IMG_20101225_190216.jpg

IMG_20101225_190230.jpg

IMG_20101225_190235.jpg

IMG_20101225_190319.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cttbax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok guys help me pick a new caliber. I want to be able to hunt deer/antelope with this caliber and smack varmints (coyotes and P dogs). I am going on a P dog shoot with my Dad this summer in South Dakota ya know? and I would like to have this gun rebuilt and ready to go.</div></div>

Read up on the 6.5 Creedmoor, you can load the heavier bullets to the lands and still be under magazine length for deer/ antelope and shoot lighter rounds for Pdogs. A friend owns one and is getting one hole accuracy at 100 yards (5 round groups) with Hornady factory ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was going to say 260 or 7-08. </div></div>

the more I read about .260....the closer I get to making a decision... hmmmmmmmm

Re: What to do with this Rem 700? Re barrel? PICS!

One more plus for the 260. Simple, good cartridge, easy to load, factory loads available. The 6.5 is my favorite caliber. Do it and shoot it, you won't regret it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cttbax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Zak says 260 remington is the cats ass....... </div></div>

Lots of good info there and Zak is very knowledgeable. You won't go wrong with 260Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5x47 Lapua. The heavier BC 6.5 bullets outperform most of the .30 cal bullets in a short action (lighter rifle) with less recoil, I am still trying to decide between the three for my next build.

260 Remington (6.5-08).

Components are readily available, there are a good half-dozen manufacturers of superb 6.5mm bullets, it'll shoot inside a 308 for wind (out to 1,000), it won't kick the snot out of you, and the barrel will last.

You can drop chucks to antelope, white-tails, and mulies.

I think it would be a great tribute to your grandfather. I'm sure he'd be pleased knowing that a simple re-barrel will bring smiles to another generation of your family and friends.

It's what guns are for.

Better to wear out than rust out.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I think it would be a great tribute to your grandfather. I'm sure he'd be pleased knowing that a simple re-barrel will bring smiles to another generation of your family and friends.

It's what guns are for.

Better to wear out than rust out.
smile.gif
</div></div>

I totally agree. I want to spruce this gun up, shoot it and have something nice to hand down to my children.

He would probably chuckle at this thread... I can hear him now..

"Just rebarrel the damn thing and shoot it!"

I have a Remington rebarreled in 6XC. Great precision and since I use a silencer, it's almost without recoil.

But, my 6,5x55's is by far my favorite rifles when it comes to shootability and performance so the 260 is probably a nice way to go. Much less sensitive when it comes to cleaning as well, at least in my case.

//M

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vettern</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Remington rebarreled in 6XC. Great precision and since I use a silencer, it's almost without recoil.

But, my 6,5x55's is by far my favorite rifles when it comes to shootability and performance so the 260 is probably a nice way to go. Much less sensitive when it comes to cleaning as well, at least in my case.

//M </div></div>

What can are you running?

It's a swedish made 200x50 mm telescopic aluminum silencer with steel thread, 360 grams.

Used it for 1000+ rounds of 6,5x55 and it's worked great so far. With a simple cardboard mirage shield on top, heat isn't an issue either.

T50.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vettern</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a swedish made 200x50 mm telescopic aluminum silencer with steel thread, 360 grams.

Used it for 1000+ rounds of 6,5x55 and it's worked great so far. With a simple cardboard mirage shield on top, heat isn't an issue either.

T50.jpg
</div></div>

bad freakin ass dude!