• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to do with threaded barrel...

hollowpoint

Private
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2011
Westfield, MA
I am working on my winter project a Savage MKII FV-SR. It has a threaded muzzle but in Massachusetts cans are illegal. Is there anything I can put on the front to improve accuracy?

Re: What to do with threaded barrel...

Why get that model then? Id recommend the TR instead unless you like the shorty barrel. If you like the SR for that reason, have the threads removed and a good crown put on it on a lathe that would be the only way to make it more accurate by changing anything on the muzzle.

I wanted it as a project gun. It is cheaper to buy the fv-sr and put on the boyds tacticool then buy the tr. Also I liked the shorter barrel.

Personally wouldn't worry about it and just put a thread protector on it. I am doubting super accuracy improvement with anything else. The target crown option is an idea but once that is done that barrel is far as it goes.

Theres only 3 things you can do with a threaded barrel...
Can it
Brake it
Protect it

I have a tactical solutions buckmark brake on mine and I actually can say it did improve my accuracy. The buckmark is a closer diameter to the actual barrel than the .920 10/22 ones. I used to have a surefire brake on it from my AR but it wouldn't shoot worth a s**t.