• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to expect from factory Remington 700?

BigCheese1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 4, 2013
As I posted earlier, I just purchased a new Remmy 700 in 30-06 with a 24" barrel to get me by the hunting seasons until I finish my other Rem700 custom build.
I was wondering what to expect out of this new gun?

I have an aluminum bedded HS Precision stock that will allow for a full free float barrel.
I will be putting a SWFA 3-15x42 on top with a Seekins picitinny scope rail and some nice rings. (Not sure what rings yet)
I will probably bed the whole action or at least the recoil lug.
I plan on getting PTG bottom metal as well.

This sounds like a potential Sub MOA or at least MOA rifle. I sure hope it is anyways. Just need something to satisfy my need for some long range shooting and deer hunting! I get the rifle in 10 days, so I was hoping to hear some encouraging words from you guys on what to expect from this new stick and any suggestions you might have!

Sounds like a nice setup to me. Personally, I would expect MOA performance or close to it with the rifle's favorite ammo. Good hunting ammo might not shoot quite that well, but I would be surprised if it was worse than 1.5 MOA.

Sounds like a nice setup to me. Personally, I would expect MOA performance or close to it with the rifle's favorite ammo. Good hunting ammo might not shoot quite that well, but I would be surprised if it was worse than 1.5 MOA.

Ahhh don't say that!!! Anything more than 1 MOA will make me very angry! :mad:

I may be lucky, but I've been able to get Sub MOA accuracy out off every bone stock Rem 700 I've ever owned.

However, that was with tailored hand loads every time. Haven't shot a factory load in years. That is the key, I believe.

If you reload, don't be surprised to get 3/4 moa, 1/2 moa if you really work at it.

If you got a decent one they can shoot darn good. I picked up a SPS stainless 7MM-08 about a year ago that shoots everything I've tried under 1/2" for 3 shot groups, I'm sure the rifle could shoot a 5 shot group as well but the shooter (me) isn't capable:) I did change out the POS trigger for a Shilen and now have it in a McMillan Edge Classic but even in the factory stock it shot the same.

Sweet, thanks guys. I cannot wait. My other 700 has been in pieces forever so I am very excited to get out and shoot again. I will probably post a thread under "Budget Build" and let you all know how it shoots!

Cheese, which model did you get? I seen a guy post on Arfcom that he just bought a .30-06 in a composit stock and a medium heavy 24 inch barrel. If you have one with a beefy barrel and float it, I would expect you to get at LEAST MOA with MATCH ammo. If you don't reload yet check with HSM, they have quite a few different match rounds for the 'ol '06. My buddy had a VSSF in .308 that I swear was made by aliens, this damn thing would shoot several and I mean several 5 shot groups in the .3s and .4s over and over and over again with factory match. I think you will be okay in the accuracy department....

ETA it's a 26 inch heavy varmit profiles barrel that he has...

Last edited:
Cheese, which model did you get? I seen a guy post on Arfcom that he just bought a .30-06 in a composit stock and a medium heavy 24 inch barrel. If you have one with a beefy barrel and float it, I would expect you to get at LEAST MOA with MATCH ammo. If you don't reload yet check with HSM, they have quite a few different match rounds for the 'ol '06. My buddy had a VSSF in .308 that I swear was made by aliens, this damn thing would shoot several and I mean several 5 shot groups in the .3s and .4s over and over and over again with factory match. I think you will be okay in the accuracy department....

ETA it's a 26 inch heavy varmit profiles barrel that he has...

Couldnt tell you what model it was :/ It had a slim barrel on it. Nothing too thick. It was fairly lightweight. The man behind the counter said it was brand new, never been used but it had been making the rounds as a display piece although he did not understand why because he considered it a great buy. The barrel had some scuffs on it, likely from being taken on and off the display rack. Seemed like she just needs some BigCheese lovin' to get her back in shape :eek:

On a side note.. my old man is giving me hell for taking apart my other "Perfectly good .270!?!?!"... he simply does not understand why anyone would take a gun apart to have it custom built. So in reality, you are all more Kin to me than he is at this point. (He also just got back from an elk hunt in Colorado where he MISSED TWICE at 200 and 500 yards with his factory 700, 300 winmag. Blames it on the crappy BDC scope because his nice scope broke a day before the trip. He had to borrow a guys gun in camp and managed to get an elk.. finally. Yet he still is too stubborn to let me make some minor improvements to his gun. (I am still the young buck that doesnt know anything)

anyways... I am hoping to show him what a few modest upgrades can do for a fella!

***Just checked the receipt.... it is a "Rem 700 ADL S/S (Stainless Steel?) 30-06***

Last edited: