• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to fill lead shot bags with

Alabama556

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 15, 2008
    Birmingham, AL
    I have about 10 lead shot bags that I want to fill with something to use as bench rest bags. I have heard use sand, oil dry, aquarium gravel, etc but wanted to check with the experts. I am going to sew them shut and weight is not an issue.

Thanks

Re: What to fill lead shot bags with

I fill mine with sand.

I do know that Sinclair sells a product to fill bags with.

But sand is cheap

I used a mixture of sand and plastic pellets. Found the pellets in the sporting goods section of Dicks Sporting Goods or Wal Mart.

Light weight and durable. The sand gave the bag some heft. Combine until you get the feel you want.

I use lead shot, seriously. I have several left over bags (don't reload for my shotguns any more, not worth the hassel) that work just fine that way. Steven

Corn cob media works pretty well. I've only used new, but you could probably use old dirty even.

Cat litter will crush to dust and eventually leach through the cloth. I use sand, only 3 bucks for a 50lb bag at Homees.

I use sand, but I put a plastic bag in first (i.e. a bread bag or similar). I've left mine out a few times and the plastic bag helps keep the sand from really getting soaked. Also, a buddy put me onto an alternate to sewing, as I usually had sand leaking out through my quick stitches. Use fabric glue (from Walmart) on the end instead of sewing them. I've been using the glue between the opening at the end of the bag, and I also then fold it over once or twice with glue in that seam. Clamp them between a couple strips of wood with C-clamps or the like. Seems to work well....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remaction</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use sand, but I put a plastic bag in first (i.e. a bread bag or similar). I've left mine out a few times and the plastic bag helps keep the sand from really getting soaked. Also, a buddy put me onto an alternate to sewing, as I usually had sand leaking out through my quick stitches. Use fabric glue (from Walmart) on the end instead of sewing them. I've been using the glue between the opening at the end of the bag, and I also then fold it over once or twice with glue in that seam. Clamp them between a couple strips of wood with C-clamps or the like. Seems to work well....</div></div> ^^^This.

Used corn cob media in a sealed plastic bag to prevent it from picking up moisture.

Makes for a useful and lightweight rear bag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: egraham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Somebody told me cat liter is the way to go. Any opinions? </div></div>

besides the noted crush potential of cat litter, i wouldn't recommend using it (or oil dry) as a media in a sandbag.

individual sand grains will NOT adsorb moisture into them, the large clay pellets that cat litter/oil dry are made of WILL.

have you ever left oil dry/kitty litter in the driveway to suck up an oil spill and have it get rained on? not very happy result as i found out when i got home from work that day. I ended up with a pile of clay gloop on my driveway.

if you want to use a sand that's less likely to compact - try some pool filter / coarse sand blasting sand. its roughly a 1mm (or a bit smaller) granular size sand.

black peas or kidney beans, corn meal, rice, plastic BB's etc.

If weight is truly no object, Dupont Zircon M sand is the heaviest. Sinclair Int'l sells it. Twice has dense and normal sand.

Chromite sand is nearly has heavy and cheaper.

Each time the kids were about to pitch old stuffed animals into the trash I would check to see if they were full of plastic pellets.

If they were I would stick them away to be used for rear squeeze bags, sand bags, etc. Of course I just stuff mine in an old sock and doube knot them up, then put them in a Crown Royal bag and tie it off. That way nobody "accidentally" walks off with my bags, thinking they were theirs.

004-6.jpg

As others have said , tumbling media in a plastic bag for stuffing, has worked for me.

Anything not organic or moisture retentive. Lead shot is solid, sand absorbs and retains moisture, cat litter gets soggy or clumps . . . The list goes on.

If you want something solid, lead shot. If you want something light-weight, plastic beads or airsoft projectiles.

Kevin

If you live near a molding facility you could get some regrind that would work realy well. It's a very fine plastic think pencil rod that has been broken off at the same lenth it is wide. Interesting stuff. It's what plastic coat hangers are made of and just about anything else that's plastic at least how it starts out as. Who knows you might even be able to buy the stuff somewhere on the net. But I would think if you know someone who works in a molding factory they might be able to get you a gallon bag of the stuff every so often.

Could also use lentils or queno or caus caus I would even think rice would work well as long as you didn't get it wet.

I bought plastic bb's similar to airsoft bb's at a craft store. Works well for me.

I use five pound bags of rice in heavy burlap bags that I buy for $6-$7 at the local market. Even have handles on them. Works great.