• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What to look for in an ATV?

powderBurnz

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2005
Florida
I'm looking at getting an ATV to use on our lease. I'm not really sure what I should be looking for in an ATV though. I don't want anything like a Raptor, we won't be racing the thing. But, I do want something with a rack on the front and back for sure. What else should I be considering?

Re: What to look for in an ATV?

Polaris Ranger. A LOT more usefull, a lot more carrying capacity, and after you get one you will wonder how you got along without it.

4844767827_ce5e8ff010_z.jpg

I am a fan of the UTV also. Got a modified Yamaha rhino 700. Workhorse around the farm. Very stable, goes anywhere I need to go in hunting season.
If you are looking for an ATV suzuki, yamaha, honda all make great bikes. I prefer independent suspension but not a requirement. If it is just for hunting you shouldn't need anything over a 350 or 450, save yourself some cash.
If looking used, look for abuse. Submersion is hard on the suspension and axles. Make sure it starts and runs easy, shifts w/o issue, and see if the wiring has been tinkered with. Does it have a plow? If so count on hard use in the winter.
Good luck, ride carefully. ATV's are like your 700 lb angry brother if you crash, they dont want to get off of you.

They make so many ATV's and UTV's that you can get one tailored to exactly what you want to do with one. Also where and how you use the ATV will determine which one is best. For example, are you farming on flat land in Kansas, or are you huntnig at 12,000 feet in the Rockies?? So without exact usage no one could give you a good recommendation that would have any real credibility.

Personally I like the bigger, slower UTV's. I would not trade my Kawasaki Mule for two or three Honda 450's. But that is me. I am a handicaled hunter who does not get in a hurry, and I do not go in hard to get around places. Tom..

IMG_0508.jpg

If it has Honda written on the side of it odds are it will last longer than you will want to drive it if properly taken care of. Not the fastest of the flashiest, but reliability is second to none.

One thing to consider, if you get an automatic transmission, they are very loud. The trans makes a loud whinning noise, which is the belt cooling fan, I believe. Unless you get a Honda automatic, they are just as quiet as the standard shift models.

Speaking from experience on the noise. My uncle has a Polaris ranger, which is a very good UTV, but I can hear the whine as he leaves the deer stand over 700 yds away. My Rincon disappears in the background at about 75 yds.

I vote Honda if you are looking for reliability. I agree not the fastest or most powerful, but any Honda is faster than you can walk out of the woods.

Im no pro but get up underneath (if possible) and check out the frame ive seen a couple (not many) but a few Wheelers with rust spots forming on the low spots of the frame because water somehow got inside.

Honda's are great, yea im a bit biased becuase ive been raised on them but still. Down on the farm we have an older Honda Four-Trax (spelling?) that thing has been to hell and back, literally. Its been in the irrigating canal twice fully submerged, been in the ditch more times than I am old, and been used quite roughly with very little maintenace. Yea the brakes dont work like they should, and the front rack has been pushed backwards about 3 inches but the thing keeps going! It easily starts right up even in the winter and the only issues its had was with the wiring and electrical (understandable after being submerged.) Only reason My grandpa got a new one is becuase hes getting old and he has lost alot of his strength, being fourwheel drive it was hard for him to steer so he got one with power steering.

Thanks all. To be more specific, this'll be used in FLorida, so it'll need to run through swamps and all the shit that comes with that, some pine plantation and pasture. Something quiet and reliable definitely would be beneficial. And it'd be great if it fits in the bed of a truck. Not set on any manufacturer.

I bought my first ATV a couple of years ago, and i was like you. I had a lot of questions and wanted to get the most out of my money. I went the NEW route mainly for the piece of mind. its hard to tell what someones ATV has been through once they have cleaned the hell out of it. if you do go used dont trust anything with a snorkle.

I bought a Honda rancher 4X4 and it has yet to let me down. many people recommended it for its longevity and easy use. I dont go mudding but have a couple of times with no problem, but i strayed away from the deep stuff. I mainly use mine in the Texas Hill country and it fits MY needs perfectly. There is plenty of space on the racks for all kinds of add ons.

One thing i would suggest you buy if you do get an ATV is the back rest. Cabelas sells a nice one that is a life saver when parked you can just sit back and relax.

If you don't intend on spending a lot of time traveling over rough terrain, the Honda 350 Rancher is hard to beat for a utility atv. The things last forever and are so simply built that it is nearly impossible for anything to go wrong. The only failures that I commonly see are with the brakes. Most people just learn to downshift and never bother fixing them. The 350 can navigate swampy areas, but you'll spend a lot of time pushing it with your feet.

If you want to step up to a powerful smooth riding rig, I highly recommend a Polaris in the size of your liking. I've got a 2000 model 500 sportsman that is still running strong. The only problems I've had are expected out of a 10 year old machine (worn bushings, belt, brake pads). Needless to say, I'm a Polaris fan boy. I just swayed a buddy of mine over to Polaris as well. He traded in his 750 brute force for a Razor. His brute force spent more time in the shop in the 2 years that he had it than my sportsman has ever seen......

If you decide to go the UTV route, I highly recommend the Razor! Splurge for the fox shocks and you have the smoothest riding buggy available. The Ranger is a beast when it comes to being a work horse, but the Razor is 10x's more comfortable (unless you have trouble getting in and out) and 100x's more fun.

I have a Kawasaki Mule. However if you will be in alot of mud and such then stay away from the Kawasaki Mule. It does not do real well in mud. Tom.

I got a little sidetracked after reading the other responses. Things you should consider when choosing a bike:

Suspension
2wd/4wd Front Locking differential
Power and towing capacity
Transmission type
Radiator location

Match your intended use to those options and you'll have the field narrowed down considerably.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Polaris Ranger. A LOT more usefull, a lot more carrying capacity, and after you get one you will wonder how you got along without it.

4844767827_ce5e8ff010_z.jpg
</div></div>

I will 2nd that!!!

DSC08397.jpg

what i look for in a ATV/UTV, is the ability to DW, power, speed, durability, where its made USA, load capability/capacity, handling, and definitely the ride, and many will agree you cant beat a Polaris on the smooth ride.

All the above is great advice. I went a little different route though. I have a grizzly 660 that I found in a barn with only 40 hours on it. It was a deal that I could NOT pass up. So I have used and abused it on the farm and in the woods. I put a stealth exhaust on it for hunting.
It'll do everything I want it to and for a fraction of normally priced used bikes. I suggest looking for a good deal for starters. Is the yamaha perfect? nope, but anything rarely is. It's a workhorse for a single, and it'll do 65 when I want to play. hth

One of the best all around 4 wheelers in my opinion is the Polaris Sportsman 500. Carb models are fine, fuel injection is better. The 500 has a pull start as battery backup. Good racks, great suspension.

UTV=Ranger. Hard working, good layout, great power.

This is my 800. If I was buying one for a lease, ranch, etc use I would go with the 500 as it has good power and pull start.
IMG_1508.jpg

I'm on my third ATV. I've now got a Grizzly 700 FI EPS. I've had a 2004 Yamaha 350 4x4, and a 97 Honda 250 2wd.My 700 Grizzly is quieter than my old standard shift 350.

The '04 only broke down once...the air intake boot came undone. The '97 Honda has had its share of carb problems but that's expected. The clutch also went out about three years ago.

When getting an ATV, make sure it will fit in the back of your truck unless you plan to leave it there or have access to a trailer.

When I went shopping, I looked at reliability, durability, size, weight, power, comfort, etc. When you really get into it, you'll find the real players are Honda, Polaris, Yamaha and Kawasaki. Suzuki, Arctic Cat, and the other guys are kinda like the Brownings of Precision rifles.

My research yielded these conclusions:

Kawasaki has the smoothest and most powerful engine.

Yamaha seems to have more torque.

Yamaha has the best automatic transmission out there. Honda has the worst. The Honda may be smoother and somewhat quieter, but it is more prone to catastrophic failure. The others just require new belts.

Polaris has the most comfortable seat.

Yamaha and Honda will fit in the bed of a swb truck.

Polaris has the best lighting.

Polaris has the most ground clearance.

Yamaha is lightest in its class.

Yamaha handles best.

Yamaha has the best 4x4 system.

Yamaha has a great extended warranty available.

Yamaha claims the best record of reliability, which I believe.

Yamaha has the best brakes as well as engine braking.
36056_613173244221_48003735_35094769_5232432_n.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Yamaha is lightest in its class.

Yamaha handles best.

Yamaha has the best 4x4 system.

Yamaha has a great extended warranty available.

Yamaha claims the best record of reliability, which I believe.

Yamaha has the best brakes as well as engine braking.
</div></div>
maybe thats because... you own a yamaha.

Or maybe that's why I chose the Yamaha after research and trying them
wink.gif

Did Yamaha recently upgrade there 4wd setup?

Mine's a '10 and I can't comment on the ones before that.

It has an on-demand button to go from 2WD to 4WD. There is a paddle that you flip over revealing a diff-lock for the front-end. There is also an "override" on the opposite side for bypassing the rev-limiter when in diff-lock.

Look for a Honda. They are the most reliable, period.

There are other good ones out there, but pound for pound, Honda will be hard to beat on quality.

Things to look for in a new 'wheeler:

- Independent Rear Suspension
- 4x4 (and ability ot switch b/t 2WD and 4WD)
- Reserve on the petcock
- Rope (or kickstart) as a backup
- Decent multi-ply tires
- Decent fuel guage

A lot depends on if you recreate with one, or "use" one. We put probably 30-40 miles a day on average on all of ours. There are very few brands that will take that kind of use for any substantial duration of time. Many people claim reliability but only have 1500 miles on it after 5 years. That in my opinion, isnt a true test of the machine.

To the comment of honda vs yamaha transmissions. I would LOVE to see that data on that one. Besides the fact that your blanket statement doesnt even specify which Honda tranny your talking about.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/...-127744373.html

First google hit, idahoshooter. You could also spend some time on the ATV forums and reading publications.

And you're right, I didn't specify *which* because they do have a new one out, which we cannot suggest much about its track record, merely the older one.

Furthermore, I've spent plenty of time on ATVs. My Honda has well north of 6k. My cousin I used to ride with put more than 10k on his.

if you get one that has cv boots(which most do) definately get cv boot guard..if you dont and you drive in the woods or brush you will be buying cv boots regularly and if you have them done at a shop it will cost you about 75 each...the guards are about 100 for the front and 100 for the back..will save you lots of money let me tell ya

Best driven belt drive one, from one tester, sure. Hardly applies to Honda since they dont make a belt driven one....Honda has multiple trannies in its lineup, has for quite some time.

You sure seem defensive about your Hondas lol. I sure hope you never have a problem with a Honda transmission.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: idahoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lot depends on if you recreate with one, or "use" one. We put probably 30-40 miles a day on average on all of ours. There are very few brands that will take that kind of use for any substantial duration of time. Many people claim reliability but only have 1500 miles on it after 5 years. That in my opinion, isnt a true test of the machine.
</div></div>
+1, i have had my polaris ranger 800 HD for 1.5 years i have 392hrs on it and almost 5500 miles, and they aren't recreational miles... this machine does work, i haul up to 7-800lbs over some of the roughest terrain you can ride across... out here its polaris or its a long walk home.