• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft What to pack in a shooting bag?

Leam

Always Learning
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2020
TX
domiciwar.net
I am very much a beginner, and want to learn well. In moving from the flat range and preparing for a long range field course event, what should go in my shooting bag? What should *not* go in? The baseline is "walk in, shoot with what you carry, walk back out."

Are there threads here you'd recommend?

Well, here’s what I have in my range backpack for a 100yd paper target range (I shoot off a bench):
  1. Ear protection and extra batteries for them
  2. Leather gloves for unscrewing hot suppressor
  3. Eye protection
  4. Paper targets
  5. Small staple gun to hang targets
  6. Extra staples
  7. Sharpie
  8. 1” or so colored adhesive dots for sighting in (stick on large cardboard pieces)
  9. Bipod
  10. Rear bag
  11. Bag for brass
  12. 6ft small tape measure for groups
  13. Plum line (if mounting a scope)
  14. Tools
  15. A couple pairs of nitrile gloves for handling greasy stuff
  16. Waterproof notebook & waterproof pen (don’t use this much, honestly…tend to use my phone for notes)
  17. Headlamp
  18. Copies of all tax stamps (miniaturized, if need be) inside all gun cases. Also take a pic of them and store in phone.
  19. Gotta buy a first aid kit (thx @D̷e̷v̷i̷l̷D̷o̷c̷A̷Z̷)

For 100yds (i.e. if not at the 50yd or 25yd range)
  1. Spotter mount
  2. Spotter

For winter
  1. Winter hat
  2. Thin-ish gloves

In the car
  1. Lead-off hand wipes
  2. Separate shoes for the range (don’t want lead tracked into my car and house)
  3. Baseball cap
  4. Long sleeve shirt to wear just at the range
  5. Wood dowel for knocking squibs or stuck brass out of bore (ok I should have this in there, but don’t)
  6. Water or soft drink
  7. Foam kneeing pads for uncomfortable range stools
  8. TP, fast food napkins, or paper towels for messes
Keep in mind I am not a benchrest shooter, don’t shoot prone, and don’t yet have a chrono.

Last edited:
When I started out, I packed way too heavy of gear.

At different times, I had a heavy benchrest front rest, a heavy front sandbag, a target camera, a heavy leather rabbit ear rear bag, etc.

I actually had to use a Milwaukee Packout to wheel all this crap in! And I was only going 100 ft from the car to the range shed.

Also, if you are bringing multiple guns, I suggest limit yourself to two, and make sure each is in a separate bag. I briefly used a double soft case and with ammo and mags in there the case was way too heavy.

Having five guns in different calibers just makes one’s range trip suck, unless you literally have most of the day free. For me, two rifles are manageable, but one is more fun.

For you, just keep notes about what to bring next time, what not to being again, etc and you’ll sort it out over time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronws and Leam
Well, here’s what I have in my range backpack for a 100yd paper target range (I shoot off a bench):
  1. Ear protection and extra batteries for them
  2. Leather gloves for unscrewing hot suppressor
  3. Eye protection
  4. Paper targets
  5. Small staple gun to hang targets
  6. Extra staples
  7. Sharpie
  8. 1” or so colored adhesive dots for sighting in (stick on large cardboard pieces)
  9. Bipod
  10. Rear bag
  11. Bag for brass
  12. 6ft small tape measure for groups
  13. Plum line (if mounting a scope)
  14. Tools
  15. Waterproof notebook & waterproof pen (don’t use this much, honestly…tend to use my phone for notes)
  16. Headlamp

For 100yds (i.e. if not at the 50yd or 25yd range)
  1. Spotter mount
  2. Spotter

For winter
  1. Winter hat
  2. Thin-ish gloves

In the car
  1. Lead-off hand wipes
  2. Separate shoes for the range (don’t want lead tracked into my car and house)
  3. Baseball cap
  4. Long sleeve shirt to wear just at the range
  5. Wood dowel for knocking squibs or stuck brass out of bore (ok I should have this in there, but don’t)
  6. Water or soft drink
  7. Foam kneeing pads for uncomfortable range stools
Keep in mind I am not a benchrest shooter, don’t shoot prone, and don’t yet have a chrono.
Solid list.

Id add:
-Tax stamp
-Coinage to shoot at
-Chrono & batteries
-Shooting mat
-Something to clean lenses
-bug spray (small)
-First aid kit
-gun lube or use your truck dipstick

My plan is to shoot one gun, and carry lots of water. I'm in Texas, and dehydration kills. Those are great lists, and I hadn't thought of using the vehicle dipstick for lube. That's pretty cool. I've ordered some more CLP, and a big bottle of Hoppe's #9 for at home cleaning.

Reactions: Jabberjaw
My plan is to shoot one gun, and carry lots of water. I'm in Texas, and dehydration kills. Those are great lists, and I hadn't thought of using the vehicle dipstick for lube. That's pretty cool. I've ordered some more CLP, and a big bottle of Hoppe's #9 for at home cleaning.
You can also use the truck antenna to knock out a stuck case. If you have a “ball” on the tip…you may need to remove it prior to doing muzzle loader things.

Reactions: carbonbased
Id add:
-Tax stamp
-Coinage to shoot at
-First aid kit
-gun lube or use your truck dipstick
Good additions! I had forgotten to mention I’ve made a bazillion copies of my tax stamps and put them in every gun case I own so I cannot forget them. Also took a pic of them so they’re in my phone too. Going to add that to my original list above.

Coinage…do you mean you shoot at coins? I’ve heard of shooting at Life Savers glued to cardboard but never coins.

The last two, first aid and truck oil are good ideas too. Thanks!

Added nitrile gloves to my list, forgot I had those in there too. Comes in handy for greasy crap and makes cleanup easier. Grease in gun cases and steering wheels sort of sucks.

Also have a roll of TP or paper towels in the back of my rig.

Good additions! I had forgotten to mention I’ve made a bazillion copies of my tax stamps and put them in every gun case I own so I cannot forget them. Also took a pic of them so they’re in my phone too. Going to add that to my original list above.

Coinage…do you mean you shoot at coins? I’ve heard of shooting at Life Savers glued to cardboard but never coins.

The last two, first aid and truck oil are good ideas too. Thanks!

814AAAF0-FC51-47BE-ACB2-E6D5570371E3.jpeg

How else will the poors know how good you shoot? I’m getting a nice collection, maybe I’ll make a bracelet 😎

For historical accuracy we should be shooting 1¢ w pistola, but I like rifles.

Added nitrile gloves to my list, forgot I had those in there too. Comes in handy for greasy crap and makes cleanup easier. Grease in gun cases and steering wheels sort of sucks.

Also have a roll of TP or paper towels in the back of my rig.

Baby wipes, TP, gloves are “truck gear”

Lesson learned after a poop in the woods and leaf’s when I was a kid.

As a beginner, I'd add a "packing list", since things tend to migrate between range days. When I was a diver, I had a few bags, and some of the bags had bags. I had a packing list for each.

Microfiber scope lens cloth, spare batteries for ear pro, scope illumination, and rangefinder, masking tape is quick and easy to write down dope, spare mags

I am very much a beginner, and want to learn well. In moving from the flat range and preparing for a long range field course event, what should go in my shooting bag? What should *not* go in? The baseline is "walk in, shoot with what you carry, walk back out."

Are there threads here you'd recommend?
Are we talking something like CD where you walk and shoot for most of the day and then go to the hotel? Or are we talking overnight length, need to travel “lighter” than average, personal hygiene becomes an issue, etc. Theres a difference in my mind.

as an old Service Rifle shooter, no bag, I still use my Stool (basically bag you can sit on)

add to the excellent list above,
extra mags,
Empty Chamber Indicator,

and I have a kitchen timer (small digital,, tho your phone would work better now)

Lot of ammo, electrolyte/water, tactical knife, 1911 handgun.
lock-and-load-lock.gif

Are we talking something like CD where you walk and shoot for most of the day and then go to the hotel? Or are we talking overnight length, need to travel “lighter” than average, personal hygiene becomes an issue, etc. Theres a difference in my mind.
I'm not sure what CD is, can you expand? My guess is a competition of some sort, but not overnight.

I like your question, and hopefully my answer makes sense. I'm not young, and I am very much a beginner. The end state is that I'm going to croak off at some point in time, but I don't know when. As a teen I read WWII stories, watched war movies, and read Robin Moore's "The Green Berets". Those were my heroes, and then a friend of mine joined the Army and made it into the 82 Airborne! That was cool. I took a different path, and joined the USAF. Not quite as adventurous, though I did make marksman with the 22LR adapter. I carried an M16 exactly once after basic training, when stationed in Panama, right after Just Cause.

My life is good; God has blessed me with a decent job and a wonderful wife. Now I have the experience and opportunity to be a little more adventurous. Thinking about going to the matches lets me live a little bit of my teen dreams. I'm going to attend another Appleseed when it cools off here, and my first goal is making Rifleman under their terms. I have a Bergara B14R to practice long range skills on a shorter range and at lower cost. I'm not skilled enough, or rich enough, to spend a buck on every trigger pull. Too many guys try to gear up for a great score, I've hung around some really good shooters and seen that it's the person, not the price tag. That's what I want.

The ideal is to have everything I need and no more. I don't know how far I'll get on the journey, but if I live long enough then yeah, over night is definitaly in the plan. I've done a little SAR training, and need more. My wife turned me on to the "Corporal's Corner" (she likes camping), and it's something we can do together.

If you have suggestions, then please, share them. I'm not there yet, but headed in that direction.

I always have an IFAK, North American Rescue is probably the gold standard. They’re expensive but hopefully a 1-time buy. At the bare minimum have a tourniquet (I’d recommend CAT, but whichever you get make sure you are comfortable using it). And none of it is worth anything without some training or basic understanding of trauma medicine. Take a Stop the Bleed course. It’s good for the range but also great as a life skill.

On a related note, as I think about packing my shooting bag, I've also joined the local GoRuck group. That'll give me some core strength and heat tolerance. Stop the Bleed has an on-line option thatI'll take this week. I used to be a Red Cross Instructor-Trainer, but that was a few years ago. Skills get rusty.

Addendum Just finished the on-line portion of Stop The Bleed. There are no hands on courses near me.

Last edited:
I know I'm going to catch flak for this but...

How many people here have encountered an ATF while shooting, asking for your suppressor papers?

Reactions: Leam
Some things on my list:

- Kestrel
- Laser rangefinder (LR)
- batteries for all electronics (kestrel, LR, etc).
- lots of water
- snacks
- hydration powder or tablets
- thin mouthed crescent wrench for suppressor (if needed)
- tool kit (I use Borka field kit)
- all Allen keys needed for scope & chassis
- Tripod
- Binos
- flashlight
- knife

Reactions: Leam
I know I'm going to catch flak for this but...

How many people here have encountered an ATF while shooting, asking for your suppressor papers?
I think it's a valid question. I don't have a suppressor, but if I did, I'd carry multiple copies of whatever was needed. Otherwise, I'm living on the grace and wisdom of whatever government agent might show up. There are some good people in all branches of government, but not all of them are as thoughtful and understanding as we'd like.

Reactions: mcc308
I think it's a valid question. I don't have a suppressor, but if I did, I'd carry multiple copies of whatever was needed. Otherwise, I'm living on the grace and wisdom of whatever government agent might show up. There are some good people in all branches of government, but not all of them are as thoughtful and understanding as we'd like.

I do understand the strategy of "better safe than sorry" with NFA items, but:

1. Has anyone here ever been asked by an ATF agent to show proof? Is this a thing that even happens?

2. If you are asked, do you have to produce it on demand right then and there? I've heard some legal opinions that suggest you have to produce it in a "timely manner" - which doesn't necessarily mean on the spot.