• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to see/do South Utah, SLC, and Yellowstone areas

One1Bravo

Ops4
Minuteman
  • Jul 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vacation this year (Summer) will be in the Utah and Yellowstone areas. Any recommendations for things to see/do that aren't typical Google suggestions? The plan is 5 days to do things in South Utah (Zion, Bryce, etc), a couple days in SLC, and 5 days in the Yellowstone area (staying in Island Park, Idaho with plans of hitting Yellowstone and Grand Teton). Will be with my wife and toddler son. I have a quality toddler pack to carry him so hiking isn't a concern. All suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Hopefully you’ve got your lodging for the Yellowstone area lined up already. It turns into a real zoo mid summer. All the areas you listed are beautiful and you’ll want to see as much as possible. If you want to escape the people in the park, go about an hour out in any direction and it will get noticeably better. But you’ll want to see the main attractions and so will everybody else.

Vacation this year (Summer) will be in the Utah and Yellowstone areas. Any recommendations for things to see/do that aren't typical Google suggestions? The plan is 5 days to do things in South Utah (Zion, Bryce, etc), a couple days in SLC, and 5 days in the Yellowstone area (staying in Island Park, Idaho with plans of hitting Yellowstone and Grand Teton). Will be with my wife and toddler son. I have a quality toddler pack to carry him so hiking isn't a concern. All suggestions welcome and appreciated.
    If you're driving check out the Wind River Range on your way up from Utah. Less crowded than the Grand Teton/Yellowstone Park complex.

Hopefully you’ve got your lodging for the Yellowstone area lined up already. It turns into a real zoo mid summer. All the areas you listed are beautiful and you’ll want to see as much as possible. If you want to escape the people in the park, go about an hour out in any direction and it will get noticeably better. But you’ll want to see the main attractions and so will everybody else.

I was able to get everything booked last month thankfully. Didn't realize it would be such a struggle to find something decent around Yellowstone.

Yellowstone and Grand Tetons you generally want to book a year ahead. It's a circus and Jackson Hole is its capital. Prices are inflated at all ends because it has become the playground for the Hollyweird crowd, much like Aspen, Vail, and Telluride here in Colorado. .

Yellowstone and Grand Tetons you generally want to book a year ahead. It's a circus and Jackson Hole is its capital. Prices are inflated at all ends because it has become the playground for the Hollyweird crowd, much like Aspen, Vail, and Telluride here in Colorado. .
    That's what I gathered in my research and the reason I chose to stay on the west side of everything. I wanted to go a little later in the year to avoid some of the crowds but my sister in law is a teacher so we had to make it work.

The area North of Idaho Falls has some great scenery and some beautiful reservoirs.

Reactions: One1Bravo
    If you're driving check out the Wind River Range on your way up from Utah. Less crowded than the Grand Teton/Yellowstone Park complex.
    2nd this. Go up the Green River Valley and stop in Pinedale WY. See the spot where the mountain men held their 'Rendezous' and go to the Museum of the Mountain Man.

Do you want to travel exclusively on-road or are you interested in mild off-road adventures? Hotels or camping? Let me know and I'll make you an appropriate list.

As others have pointed out, the popular tourist traps are overrun and accommodations close by are overbooked during the summer season. The more you can venture off the beaten path, the more beauty and serenity you will be able to enjoy.

Zion, Bryce, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton in five days is like Europe in a week or drinking out of a fire hose. Less is more in all three cases.

Last edited:
    On road only unfortunately. Won't be doing any camping. We have a cabin.
    Got it. I also realized that you have more than ten days available, which is good.

Near SLC you should visit Park City. Your wife will love it and there are several very scenic, good roads leading to and from it. I know of one state park on a lake that rents cabins and Yurts and there maybe more. Let me know if interested and I'll plot a route for you.

From there, take I84 and I50 into Idaho and towards Grand Tetons. Even the interstates are pretty scenic there. You can take a coffee break in Ogden, which is a nice, smaller town. I'l let others chime in about the details around Grand Tetons as I approached this off the paved roads and camped there.

Yellowstone is going to be challenge. There are a ton of great dirt roads around the park with beautiful camp sites. But if you do not have a hotel/motel reservation at this point you will have to stay further away from the Park and make a quick dash in the morning. The entrance close to West Yellowstone is by far the most busiest. I would enter via one of the other exits and then leave towards West Yellowstone, which is nice for dinner.

My most memorable Yellowstone visit was a self-guided snow mobile trip with wife and a group of friends. There is a lottery in August for the few permits (5 sleds, 10 people) and I was lucky to snag the $40 permit in December while living in Bozeman. Some people cancel as the winter approaches and their permit become available again. So, even if you strike out in the initial drawing, keep an eye on the web site.

Imagine a landscape under several feet of snow with steam, hot water, and bubbling mud coming out of the ground. Partially frozen waterfalls, Bison with frosted mane, and watching Old Faithful while sharing snacks in bulky coveralls. This trip was physically demanding but several folks were moved to tears by the sheer beauty. It is a great way to escape the summer crowds. You can fly into Bozeman and a rental car will take you to the North entrance in less than 2 hours. Snowmobiles and gear can be rented there for what I found to be a fair deal.

Last edited:
    Reactions: One1Bravo