• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What tools are needed for gas block and front stock replacement?

Kevin70

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2013
I'm handy with the correct tools but have never replaced a front stock or gas block.

What are the correct tools for removing and re installing the flash hider and barrel nut?
The rifle is a S&W M&P 10.

I'd like to prevent any scuffing of the finish on the hider.

Thank you!

Make sure the rifle is unloaded DISCLAIMER. You can unscrew the flash hider with the appropriate sized open end wrench or crescent wrench (can work well as you'll tape the flash hider flats.) Put masking tape on the flats to prevent maring. It most likely loosen by light pressure but if not place it in a barrel vise if you have one (I always use a barrel vise) or receiver block (even better because you will need one for the barrel nut) so you're not torqueing the receiver. To remove the forearm you can have someone help you by holding the rifle, butt end on a table while you pull the slip ring down and the forearm pieces will seperate. You'll need a DPMS barrel nut tool to remove the barrel nut. The gas block just unscrews with allen wrenches, no need to seperate the tube from the gas block. To install a new handguard you'll have specific instructions. I believe the Magpul handguards work with the M&P 10.

That covers it. I just did my mp10 last week and it was my first. It was easy except installing the new barrel nut for the troy trx. I had to torque it to about 70 pounds. Test fired it today and had one hole at 50 and functioned perfect.