• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What trigger weight are you running??

29aholic

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2010
Southwest MO
What weight of pull are you running? Is it different for your tactical rifles versus dedicated LR guns?
Mine is about 3-3.5lbs which seems alright for steel and when I am dry firing, but when I am shooting at little squares trying for groups it feels like about 10lbs.
I don't want to go to an (X).oz because I plan to shoot tactical matches etc. and I think that is too light.

I'm not running anything. But I use a ~ 2 lb (can't recall the exact force now) trigger on my precision rifle. I've had lower, on square range target rifles (for NRA smallbore prone and long range CF prone).

When I build a Counter Sniper rifle for a PD, The trigger is set where you have yours. It's a liability thing! Why don't you set your trigger to 2-2.5 # and try it out. It will seem significantly lighter. F-Class triggers are set like you say, however you are set in a very sturdy position and actually firing the shot will be quite different. Try the 2#+ setting. If you don't like it, you can always change it.
Just a thought.

My FTR gun is 10 ounces, and that's heavy for FTR. I can still feel it very well, run my finger all over it, then back away if I want to, then get back on it. I need that to suit my chosen shooting style. I've not yet had the opportunity to question whether it was too light.

Trigger wt

About two pounds is right for me, I have three guns in that range, I find with a lighter gun. I'm liking a lighter trigger. I' ve got two timney's that I've ordered from them and had them set em before they shipped.

Ymmv
Idahoorion

1-3/4# Timney CE. Came at 8 oz. I couldn't ever get used to it. Turned it up for feel and a bit if peace of mind. 8 oz is wicked light!

3 to 3-1/2 (personal preference) on bolt-action centerfire rifles.

5 and 8 ounces on smallbore rimfire target rifles.

2.5 lbs on my precision rifle.

About 2 lb on both my single stage DTA SRS A1s. My new AI AXMC 260 & 308 has my first 2 stage trigger. About 1/4 " soft pull until firm stop that breaks at 3-4 lbs. Very crisp and really feel it makes me much more accurate. Anything lighter than 2 lbs make me have accidental discharge down range-not too cool!!!

1.5lbs. But mine could stand to be a little lighter.

as long as it breaks clean i don't really care, years of pulling 12lbs double action revolvers makes any other trigger "light"
cheers.

3.5lbs on my precision rifles and 4lbs on my AR "precision" rifle. Never saw a need to go lower.

Whatever weight AI set it at prior to shipping it out. I have 2 AI's and didn't mess with either, they were fine and saw no reason to dick with them. My work rifle was 3.5 lbs and that was policy within our dept. I see some guys using very low trigger weights, fine for a target rifle on a static range. Great for a target shooter but for someone using their rifle (I'm referring to bolt guns of course) in field conditions for whatever reason, that's an accident waiting to happen imho. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

11oz on number 1 Creed, 6oz on number 2 creed. Deer rigs are anywhere from 19oz to 2lbs.

If you ever watch Franks videos on trigger control, he says you want a trigger finger that is L shaped or 90° bent.

Ive never seen anyone that can do that without placing their finger on the trigger shoe. Having said that, for a field gun I think 2.5 - 5 lbs is the range you want to be in.

I don't practice much of what he says but on trigger control I do.

Is it possible the trigger weight can change between an empty chamber and a loaded one??
I do a LOT of dry firing and practicing my breathing, obviously with an empty gun, and the triggers seem fine. When I put practice to test (actual firing) they seem exponentially heavier.

14oz on my jewell never had any issues shooting matches or hunting with that weight

Is it possible the trigger weight can change between an empty chamber and a loaded one??
I do a LOT of dry firing and practicing my breathing, obviously with an empty gun, and the triggers seem fine. When I put practice to test (actual firing) they seem exponentially heavier.

I always felt the same. Haha probably just my head playing games. It does seem heavier for me too when live on the range.

My 6.5 cm - 1 lb., my .308 - 1.5 lbs., my .338 LM 1.5 lbs., my .223 - 1lb.mmmmm I think I like a 1-1.5 lb trigger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk