• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What was your first firearm?

gbird001

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2011
Norman, OK
Lets hear it folks, what was your first gun?

I just gave my 10 year old half son (my daughter's half brother) his first gun for Christmas. I got him a Marlin XT-22RZ bolt action .22 and he was (still is) thrilled, as was I thrilled to give it to him. It got me reminiscing about my first gun, a browning SA-22 my dad got me when I was about 10, which he later sold... but that's another story. Years later when I was all grown up, finished school, had a real job and could afford the hobby I purchased my first gun, a Glock 21 that I still shoot and love, my collection has since grown but I still consider that Browning to be my first gun.

So enough of my life story; whether it was given to you when you were 10, or you got it for yourself when you were 30, What was your first gun? And do you still have it?

** I did use the search feature and didn't find a previous post like this, but I apologize if it's been done before.

Re: What was your first firearm?

Savage & Stevens 16ga bolt action shotgun. I still use it to show up the locals that spend too much for a trap gun.

A Marlin bolt action 22. I sold it to help pay for a Remington 1100 12 Ga., which I still have.

A Glenfield bolt action .22, with the squirrel stamped on both sides of the grip....Dad kept the clip for a LONG time.

Sold it when I was 19, for $40 dollars worth of gas money to get where I was going.....turned out to be a stupid place to go, and a stupid reason to lose your first rifle.

My Dad gave me a well used Glenfield Model 60 .22 for christmas one year I was about 10. First firearm I bought my self and taught myself to reload was a Winchester Model 70 that I put a 6-20 Bushnell on. Had lots of fun and burned tons of powder with that rifle. Had to sell to fix car when I was about 20.

Remington Model 581 .22
I earned the money for and paid for myself at age 12. After I learned to shoot the red label off a Coor's can at 100 of my Marine stepfather's paces, I bought a 4x scope then started all over again with the red labels. Then it was rapid fire red labels until I could rapid fire the moving can and hit the red label each and every time. Of course my stepfather was right there kicking dirt on me, yelling at me, and dropping rocks on me. Thanks to that, MCRD was a breeze for the DI BS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My first firearm in my name was a Remington 870. Still have it in the safe. </div></div>

Same here. I got tired of borrowing my uncle's 1100 for hunting with my buddies. I saved up and bought a Rem 870 as soon as I was old enough. It is still in my possession and won't ever be sold. My son will get it as soon as he's old enough.

Argentine 7.65mm. Shortly after getting out of USMC. No idea why I bought that one other than it was cheap, and I was there.

Savage M29a pump .22. It was bought new by my grandfather in the '50s and almost never used until I got it. I still have it and it's still used on squirrels and for plinking. Amazingly, after countless rounds and carries, it's still pretty minty.

Cheers,

Sirhr

My dad let me use his Nylon 66 for squirrel hunting, but he removed the magazine rod and made me use it as a single shot for several outings before he allowed me to go to semi-auto.

Then I got a 20 ga. single shot from Western Auto for Christmas. That was the first one that was truly mine.
I killed a pile of doves, quail, squirrels and rabbits with that thing.

When I was 10, my dad gave me a Marlin model 60 .22 semi-auto, tube-magazine, and a 4x scope. Still own and shoot it 35 years later.

A Sears .22 single shot bolt action. My Dad and my Grandfather each bought one new in 1969, consecutive serial numbers. My Granbdfather gave me his when I was 10. I got the other one when my Dad passed away early this year and I now have both in the safe. The first gun I ever bought myself was a Remmy 870 and it too is in the safe.

Winchester Model 70 Sporter - Leupold 3-9 - .30-06
Was a gift from my parents.
(a little off topic) It killed my first deer - 11 Pt. Buck when I was 14 years old.
I still the gun and the mount.

Got my first rifle when I was a couple days old, Dad went out and bought us matching 30-06's. Remington 7400.

First rifle I bought myself, I was 13 and bought a Marlin 1895 in .45-70.

.50 cal Hatfield flintlock. Was the only thing I hunted with for the first 6 years. I still have it although it probably hasn't been shout in about 10 years.

My first rifle was a single shot springfield model 53b when I was 6. Still have it, still love it, and I know I'll never go hungry.

If Airguns count it was a Daisy Powerline 880 when I was 10 or so. Took my first deer at 14 with a bow, second deer using my dad's 870 with rifled barrel & slug. Bought the first gun in my name in Germany while stationed at Ramstein, was a Beretta 96F. My own 870 and 700 in 7mm RM came a few years later after separating and being able to hunt regularly again.

New England Firearms single shot 20 gauge. Killed my first deer with it and it will be my son's first gun.

a marlin 6079 limited edition i still have it i gave it to my son on his 10th b-day squirrel handle and marlin medallion in the butt stock

1st on shot was a Henry 1812 22lr lever repeater action octagon barrel it was my grandfathers, i doubt it was as old as the date but who knows cant ask him my uncle has it here on the wall.

1st one i bought was a 30/30 lever marlin with a Bushnell scope don't remember the power traded to a kid at school for a Chevy 350 for my truck.

First rifle I ever fired - my Dad's Mossberg 22. Looked like the military trainer Model 44(?). I was 9. At 14 Dad (and the State of New Jersey) let me buy my first - a Remington Model 572. Bolt action 22. Tube fed. Paper route and lawn mowing earnings paid for it. I think it was about $65.00. Dad questioned my choice - thought I should have gotten a semi-auto. Still have the rifle. Can't imagine ever selling it.

Marlin 25M .22mag. Got it for my 8th birthday.
Feb this comin year makes her 30 years old.
Still looks and shoots great with the $30 4x tasco I put on it
when I was 15. Wanted the 3x9 but only had $36 left from workin a friends hay field. $10 short so I got the 4x.
Will never sell this one .

Remington Nylon 66. Mid 1960's. Wish I still had it. Gave it to a friend fo mine many years ago and he lost it in a house fire.

Mine was an Ithaca lever action single shot. I was 8 years old, living in a small town in Oregon. I put alot of .22 ammo through that thing. I made my luckiest shot with it, knocking a crow out of a tree at a little over 400 yards, offhand. If you saw the sight picture i used you would laugh out loud.
smile.gif
I'm pretty sure I was as surprised as that crow was.

First firearm I ever had was a Ruger 10/22 synthetic stock and a 4x tasco scope. Just sold that to buy a Savage Mark II FV-SR. First firearm I ever bought myself was a M1 Garand.

After the Dasiy BB killer I got at 4yrs old, when I turned 7yrs old dad got me a brand new Chipmunk single shot .22 (not the pink one) with a fixed 4x Burris scope. It was a sweet lil rig and any bird or squirrel on this 5 acres were fair game and marked for bounty. Next was a bolt action .410 with a 4rnd mag.

My first that was actually mine... Ruger 10/22 cost 109.00 from service merchandise back in the mid to late 80’s. That was the best Christmas present ever.

First gun I fired was a copy of a marlin 22lr bolt action made for wards or sears.

First gun I purchased with my own hard earned corn detasseling money, Ruger 77/22.

western auto 500 12 gauge pump action shotgun still got it to this day

Remington 514 .22lr. Handed down from my father that was bought for him when he was a kid.

Tang safety Ruger M77 30-06. On my 13th birthday. Got a card from the old man with the layaway ticket in it. He got a smokin deal on it cause the stock was all beat to hell. Still have it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arrowslinger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">H&R 30-30 combo 20 gauge barrel. Still have it, refinished the stock. </div></div>

that's a nice weapon

First that was truly mine was Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 ga, got it for Christmas when I was 13.

First gun that was actually mine was a Remington 1100 special field 20 gauge. I still have that gun but I'm letting a friend use it so his youngest boy can get into shooting.

first firearm given to me was a winchester 1400 20 gauge when i was 7. when i was 4 I got a crossman bb/pellet rifle for christmas.

still have the winchester.

I grew up with free access to the family's guns so I think the first one I ever owned on my own was a 1911 I bought from a friend in high school.

The first one that i owned on my own was a Remington 700 VLSS in .22-250. Also still have it but it's been worked over by Chad Dixon.