• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What wind meter?

Re: What wind meter?

Kestrel...buy once, cry once.

They have numerous models with a variety of features. Just take a look through their offerings and select the one that best meets your particular needs. You can't go wrong with the Kestrel and if something should happen to yours (God forbid), Kestrel will take care of you.

http://www.kestrelmeters.com/Kestrel_Meters/All_Kestrel_Meters/index.cat

If you are in a hurry when i get a handfull of orders in I can place the order sooner and then a second when the GB closes out!!

Dont be late!

Kestrel - hands down - I have the Kestrel 4000 NV and that coupled with a ballistic program is hard to beat.

You can always go with the cheap caldwell on midway for $20

I'll see if I use mine as much as i think i will.

I'm not sure if I'll actually need to use it. So i went cheap and got it as a test.

Lets face it, buying a $200 kestrel, and never actually using it, is fucking retarded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can always go with the cheap caldwell on midway for $20

I'll see if I use mine as much as i think i will.

I'm not sure if I'll actually need to use it. So i went cheap and got it as a test.

Lets face it, buying a $200 kestrel, and never actually using it, is fucking retarded. </div></div>

Yes, not using it would be... So, Fucking Use it !

Whatever you do...please don't waste time or money on the Caldwell units. They are...for lack of any meaningful description...JUST PISS POOR!!!

They are unreliable at best, they don't read accurately (when they work at all), they are cheaply constructed/made of cheap materials, and they are prone to breakage (the blades on the meter stick or break and the battery doors won't stay latched just to name a few things).

+1
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whatever you do...please don't waste time or money on the Caldwell units. They are...for lack of any meaningful description...JUST PISS POOR!!! </div></div>
Stick with the kestrel you wont be let down.

Had the Caldwell, lost the battery cover. Used the Midway promo code from here to get a discount and ordered the Kestrel 2000 unit. Not as nice as the 4500, but all I needed was wind and temperature for now. Man what a difference. I can measure wind that the Caldwell didn't know was there.

"Kestrel"
It's been said but deserves to be said again.
I look at a wind meter the same way I look at a range finder and ballistic program for the Ipod. They are great learning aides. There is no way of learning how to judge distance, wind and drops if you don't have a base line to go by. My shooting partner and I will play a game of giving our calls on the conditions and then using the meter and rangefinder to see how close (or how bad) our judgement was. Both of us normally end up thinking a target is closer than it is and the wind is stronger than we think.