• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What would be a reasonable expectation from this rifle?

Deadshot2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2011
The Convergence Zone
I just recently purchased a Remington SPS Tactical in .223 and wonder what a reasonable expectation for accuracy would be. Sub MOA? Sub 1/2 MOA? 1/4 MOA?

Essentially the rifle is stock. I couldn't stand the Hogue "Rubber Ducky" or "Gumby" stock that came with it so I just mounted it in an H-S Precision stock I took off my 5-R Milspec, no bedding, no mods, just insert and torque action screws.

Optics are pretty much "inexpensive" but has performed well for several years at 300-500 yard ranges.

I've found a load that seems to work very well.

So far I have been able to consistently shoot .5 MOA to .7MOA groups at 100 yards using 52 gr SMK's (all that are available locally for now).

Best group so far was ,260 MOA but haven't seen that consistently.

All these groups were fired with the stock X-Mark Pro with about a 3#+ trigger pull.

I have already ordered a replacement Timney Trigger and am going back and forth on whether to bed the action in the H-S Precision stock's aluminum block.

Just what is a reasonable expectation for this rifle short of doing a full "accurizing" job, truing the action/bolt, and re-cutting the chamber with a shorter freebore?

If I'm close with the .5MOA range I may not blow any bucks. If I can get it down to .25MOA consistently I may go farther but just curious what others have been able to get from this rifle.

I will say it's fun to shoot and even with the light bullets capable of making things "dead" at 200-300 yards as is.

My buddy has one REM SPS) in 308 that is astoundingly accurate with the right loads. Close to running with my GAP. Never seen a factory 700 like it, actually. If you can find a solid 1/2 MOA load I would say that the next level of improvement will be pretty far down the curve of diminishing returns. You could spend a grand easy trying to go under .5 MOA. Really, honest to goodness .25 MOA rifles with factory actions and barrels are pretty damn rare in my experience.

Last edited:
I bought the 700 SPS varmint, heavy barrel, X mark trigger, rubber ducky stock. Out of the box I could get under 1 MOA at 100yds.
Put in a Timney trigger, now down to 1/2 MOA. Put the new Choate tactical stock under it and got 3/8 MOA. Changed from H335 to
R10X with 40 grain Nosler Balistic tips and 748 for 50 grain V Max and now get 1/4 MOA. Took a couple months and a lot of testing
trips to the range. Hey that's not all bad. I've got 3 - 700's and they all shoot well.