• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What would do guys think if.............

Andybull

Minuteman
Sep 17, 2006
South Carolina
I ordered a gun from a well known AR manufacturer back in June of 09. On the web site it is very clear that they say NOT to ask when the rifle will be finished, that they will tell you when it's ready to ship. Their current lead time is 22-30 weeks.

This is how their web reads:

Status Checks
Due to current demand, our call volume is extremely high, and market conditions are not predictable. For these reasons, we must ask you to refrain from placing calls or emails requesting status checks or delivery dates on pending orders. You will be notified by email when the order has shipped. Your cooperation will insure a faster delivery for all customers.

I ordered the rifle on June, 10 2009, which puts the order at 28 weeks, so I figured I've been a good boy, I haven't inquired about my rifle all this time and want to get an idea as to when my rifle will be ready to ship. I printed both order sheet pages, addressed them to an Eric who's name was on the order sheet and faxed it to the company requesting an idea as to my order status, I left my cell # and my e-mail address. It's been 4 days and I haven't heard a peep from them yet.

This is not a cheap AR, if they are so busy, would hiring a person just to keep the information out there for the public not make sense? In my company with the current economic downturn we are experiencing, we jump through hoops to keep the customer informed and just about kiss the ground he/she walks on.

I know you are going to say it's all about the Obama factor and back log. Besides that, what are your thoughts?

Re: What would do guys think if.............

Hmmm, well, I'd say you're probably going to have to be patient. Custom builders tend to be very accessible, but full scale manufacturers don't have to be due to volume. It seems they are very explicit about people calling to get wait time estimations. As much as it sucks, I think you've just got to distract yourself until you get the call.

I think companies should indeed focus more on customer service, but such suggestions often fall on deaf ears.

My thoughts are to counsel patience.

Yours is but one of many orders, so whatever you're experiencing, you're far from being alone in this. I'm thinking that if you insist on special treatment of a kind the company has specifically advised against requesting, you'll get it; but it won't be the kind you'd really like.

Take an even strain, find something else to occupy your attention, and let reality give you a pleasant surprise someday hence. Winter months can be especially trying; our minds nibble and worry at every little detail. This one would probably do better with less attention.

Greg

Since it makes clear that the lead time will be excessive, and asks you not to bug them, I would do just that.

If they made it sound as if the lead time wouldnt be excessive, and then it turned out to take this long, it would be a different story.

I am sure that if this company has this long a lead time, that it will be worth the wait.

I think it's too late now to do anything more than just sit and wait.
You are still in their current backlog time frame. I would think until you have gone past that +10%, they aren't going to bother responding.

Although you didn't say it, I am betting your order is with JP Enterprises!

I have done business with JP for years and in my experience, they are always a little hopeful with their projected timeframes of completing orders. That said, the industry is still crazy right now, some parts are in high demand with low supply and it is likely going to take some time to get the backlogs resolved.

Since you are only at 28 weeks and the current listed wait time is up to 30 weeks...I would say that you at least owe them another couple of weeks before you do anything if you simply HAVE to call or write them at all. Even then, I wouldn't get too concerned. This is the nature of ordering custom firearms, parts, etc.

Trust me when I say (especially with JP Enterp.): Good things come to those who wait (patiently)!!

Hang in there!

when i did a pro-form for my smith&wesson ar it was over 9months until i received the rifle. rra i had it in i wanna say was 5 months, they also didn't want inquires on when the rifle would ship.

I just was having this thought last night. I guy called me who had purchased a semi custom gun I build(OK put together.....I never use more than a dremel tool) a couple years back. I really only know the Rem 700 action and it has served me well.He wanted a real custom with a $1200 action so on and so forth. HE told me he would get the gun from 12-18 months!! Now we know this isn't uncommon and also can mean 2 years FOR A GUN!!

So many of the custom builders do incredable work........and support our sports and troops so much I don't want to knock them. And alot of these guys get you a gun 2-3 months and have alot features that are just unique to them and they make alot of parts of there own. But just as many shops or more just do what I do....get a good Rem action and top barrel from a popular maker........smooth out the factory trigger or drop in a Jewel, Rifle Basics etc etc. Buy a top end stock....bolt or bed stock.......paint rifle, stock etc. Mount test fire and ship. A FREAKING YEAR??? And some place charge $4000 and without optics and want 1/2 the money upfront. Heck you may be dead in a year........the bulder may go under. What kills me..realy kills me is places that say they "BELIEVE" so much in the rem action AND barrel they just use a take off from an R5 or PSS......true it up, trigge job, stock, paint...6 mos and $2500.WTF???

In 12-18 months a guy could go to sleep and dream up his dream car.....I mean ANY CAR...any shape and any size. And in a year you could be driving it. Whether you want a Brand New 1967 Shelby GT Mustang Fastback or a car you dreamt up in your mind. A Good builder can either hand forge the thing in that time or program his CNC machine to build it frame up from the ground with all the weird shapes and angles you want. And you could in alot of cases get your dream car faster than an AR 15 or bolt gun that is an upgraded factory firearm.

Now with that said god I hope I never have the $4000 grand and 18 months to wait for something real special that I am too dense to put together myself.

To me also if a builder or factory like a Remington or Springfield or whatever has had your money for months past the delivery date...........the buyer should get the cash back f he wants it.

Derek

Well Derek:

This rifle happens to be over $4,000.00 without glass.

I wouldn't have sent anyone $4000.00 knowing ahead of time they don't want to be contacted about the status...but that's just me.

I'm really sorry bro.........I know what its like to want what you want.......put the time in and invest the money then......toast. YOu should get your money back....sorry I went on a bender on the whole custome rifle deal.....I just don't understand taking somebody's hard earned cash and them holding it for a year or more when we all know that if the stock and barrel and whatever else the builder buys elsewhere is there a guy...1 guy at his bench can get the rifle put together and painted, test fired etc in a couple days. I mean doctors are busy too..........if you book a doctors appt. for a year in advance they don't bill you until you get the service. Plus its human nature to drag ones feet when ones wallet already has cash in it.......if nobody got paid until build is complete things would get done alot faster. My 02 cents

Sadly, Todd Bettin of Bettin Guns is the only non-carnie like builder I've dealt with. Everyone else just gives me hopeful time estimates with time frames that drag on and on. And this is even for fairly simple work.

I swear, the procrastinators who can't finish projects on schedule go to work in custom gun building and custom gun parts/services.

Maybe we need to put together a GTG list of reliable firm handshake gun builders and part suppliers?

looks like some one has not bought a well known titanium suppressor

also very bad bedside manners

30 weeks wait and a 4K tag for an AR? Damn, I hope they guarantee at least 1/2 MOA or some thing like that. Unfortunately, I think everyone here has said it already that you have sit tight and wait. I hope it comes soon for you. Good luck.

Obviously I will sit and wait, I read their policy and accepted it at the time, so it is what it is. I just don't think I will do it again.

I have noticed that a large majority of gun owners accept false promises, less than realistic time frames, deal with gun related companies that are less than customer friendly, etc, etc. A lot of these companies would not survive outside in the real world because the buying public would find these dealings unacceptable.

I have great respect for the craftsman we deal with,applying great care and skill to a custom item is a dying art these days.
But....enough with the walking on egg shells. If someone spent 4k with me I would respond to their call or message. I know it takes away from bench time and if they answered everyone's calls nothing would get done, blah, blah. Guess what? Business is business, hire someone for a couple hours a week to do your admin stuff and set limits but without those annoying calls their would be no business to get back to.
There needs to be a balance of service and quality to warrant the dollars spent.

Sue them. I hate wait time for custom builds. I have lost more than 4000 on custom builders, they suck. Always buy from existing inventory. If they want the business they should make the rifles you want. Many custom builders are going out of business and things are going to get worse. Get your paper work in line.

With all that said, I dont think there is a dam thing you can do. Just sit back and tell yourself never again.

Isn't this great!!! The crazy thing is in a year a guy who wants a $4k shooter could start from scratch and build the thing himself via video tapes if he didn't know how otherwise. It would cost him less than 1/2 and he would be shooting it in 90 days. Alot of local smiths do a good job at basic services like barrel threading or trigger jobs. And with a local smith you call the guy and say when can you do it? And when he tells you it will be done in a week you repeat "no when can you work on it" next Tuesday at 10am.........I'll be there.......either sit and watch or go have lunch whatever and pick the thing up in a couple hours. How many of these custom builders really "build" all that much? Now I know alot of top top shops have patents on certain parts and processes and hats off to them. To many guys get a remmy action and order a barrel and stock and start "assembely".........how custom is that?

Plus any builder who is in such short pockets that on a $4k gun you have to send in over $1k....down payment its nuts....on a $4k gun most builders won't need more than $1k in outside parts....if so not much more....and if the buyer flakes the builder has his money and completed rig to sell. I would rather pay more for a rig I can take home right now than one that takes longer than NASA building a new Space Shuttle.

I can understand not wanting you to call them but they should at least provide updates.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derek Myers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't this great!!! The crazy thing is in a year a guy who wants a $4k shooter could start from scratch and build the thing himself via video tapes if he didn't know how otherwise. It would cost him less than 1/2 and he would be shooting it in 90 days. Alot of local smiths do a good job at basic services like barrel threading or trigger jobs. And with a local smith you call the guy and say when can you do it? And when he tells you it will be done in a week you repeat "no when can you work on it" next Tuesday at 10am.........I'll be there.......either sit and watch or go have lunch whatever and pick the thing up in a couple hours. How many of these custom builders really "build" all that much? Now I know alot of top top shops have patents on certain parts and processes and hats off to them. To many guys get a remmy action and order a barrel and stock and start "assembely".........how custom is that?

Plus any builder who is in such short pockets that on a $4k gun you have to send in over $1k....down payment its nuts....on a $4k gun most builders won't need more than $1k in outside parts....if so not much more....and if the buyer flakes the builder has his money and completed rig to sell. I would rather pay more for a rig I can take home right now than one that takes longer than NASA building a new Space Shuttle. </div></div>

i will take the wait and know my 4k was done right, rather a promisae of a fast job by a hack........
and as far as a 25% deposit no biggy.

I think that waiting seven months to send a fax, inquiring when is it that I should expect completion of one of their production guns, was definitely against the rules this builder has. Not only do I want to know how much longer, I want to make sure that the 50% I owe is in my possession in order for me to pay the balance.

Hey, how about allowing the customer one e-mail, or fax per build, anytime during the estimated build time in order to keep the customer informed?

With the way the economy is right now, any business trying to stay in the game should realize that customer service shoulod be a top priority. I would not have done any business with a company telling you not to inquire about your purchase, especially over the thousand dollar range. Unfortunately it's too late for you, but live and learn is all you can do.

I am not advocating using a "hack" but as a precision shooter and smart person how much better is the $4k 1-2 year AR going to be than one you put together with the same parts? Or Ok a good smith? Or how about the 90 day weight at GA or JP Precision or DL sports..........none of those run $4k either.

Or how about buying one of the above named builders uppers and putting it on a nice complete lower with stock and custom trigger already installed. There are places that carry top end lowers and just within a couple days will ship you out one with your choice of stock and trigger setup to match your high end upper. Heck how about buying a Les Baer complete or a nice lower and POF, Larue or other high end in stock in volume nice upper.

My gripe is......its an AR.......its parts. Even if the guy is forging his own lowers and so for........how long does it take? And $4k??? WOW.........no optics either. I would think part of that $4k has to be for exceptional customer service.....I would think.

Derek

Looks to me like they still have two more weeks to meet their deadline.

Patients is a virtue especially these days when dealing with things like this and class III weapons.

Hope it's worth the 4K. When it comes to paying that much for a stick, it's all about justification. I say more power to ya!

Once they go over their stated time frame of 30 weeks, I see no problem with giving them a shout. After all, it's your money. You put up the cash, and now it is their turn to hold up their end of the bargain.

Just my 2 cents

the only way I'm paying 4K for an AR is if there's 2K worth of glass sitting on it
wink.gif