• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes What would you do if you were me? Bushnell or NF??

Tomekeuro85

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2007
Chicago Suburbs, IL
So long story short, My bushnell didnt have enough elevation travel for the 20moa rail on my crusader.

So I bought a nightforce a few days ago.

As I tried to install it, I realized that contrary to my original belief, the action is the same diameter as my savage was, and I can remove the rail and put the leupold rings from my savage directly on the action (non-picatinny).

So, I now have a brand new Nightforce. It was $1200 that Id rather not spend if i didnt have to. I might be able to return it to midway and just use the scope (bushnell 6-24x40 mildot) I already have with the rings I already have.

I could sell the badger base, 3 sets of badger rings, and get my 1200 back for the nightforce, if Midway takes the return.

So, should I keep the nightforce and have an awesome scope but pay money I shouldnt be paying at this time?

Or,

Install the bushnell, have a pretty decent scope and save $1200+ on top of other stuff.

I know everyone will by default lean to the nightforce, But I have no problem with how the bushnell shoots. Its a great scope and I dont necessarily feel like I MUST have the nightforce, its just a nice luxury to have.

Re: What would you do if you were me? Bushnell or NF??

Keep the NF and sell the Bushnell. Not just because the Nightforce is a better scope (and yes it is better), but because the Bushnell is not fit for your purpose, due to insufficient adjustment.

I'm not sure which Bushnell 4200 (the 42624M or 42624P) model your talking about but you should get in the $450 + range if and when you sell it. If you bought the Bushnell less than a year ago and have your purchase receipt, you could give it back to Bushnell under their "no questions asked return warranty".

Plus you have three sets of Badger Rings, sell two for around $140 each. Now you are back at least half of your Nightforce purchase, if not more.

You say you have GAP Crusader? Why put junk on a $3k rifle? You'd be better off to sell the GAP, and buy an stock LTR or XCR, and keep the Nightforce.

It is far better to have good glass on a cheaper rifle, than the other way around.

Best of luck,

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It is far better to have good glass on a cheaper rifle, than the other way around.

Bob </div></div>

I don't get why people say that. Correct me if im wrong, but with my Savage, I got lets say average .7" groups at 100 with the bushnell scope.

Same scope on the GAP yielded .3" average.

So what you're saying is that if I got a nightforce or similar for the Savage I would get better than .3" average groups? I dont think so..

Why would I want better glass on a rifle that cant shoot good groups regardless of what scope I have on it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would I want better glass on a rifle that cant shoot good groups regardless of what scope I have on it? </div></div>The better question, why you would want the rifle, will answer both.

Tomekeuro, ....if you have to ask......it's because you are serious about how you spend your spare time and because you spent the money for a good reason in the first place. Otherwise, and if I am wrong, maybe take up a cheaper sport?
wink.gif

At 100 yrds. your Bushnell might do you just fine. At distance, good glass makes a huge difference. Your GAP will get you out to distance but you may have difficulties seeing your target clearly w/ the Bushnell. 100 yrd. groups is not LR Precision Rifle Shooting.

I would agree that the NF is likely a superior scope. But I also think the Bushnell will do all you need. You sound very pragmatic. Not like a lot of us on here who simply want (or need) to know we have the best, or one of the best optics available. You sound like you only want to spend as much as is needed to get the job done. Bushnells have a good reputation for value.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Bob </div></div>

I don't get why people say that. Correct me if im wrong, but with my Savage, I got lets say average .7" groups at 100 with the bushnell scope.

Same scope on the GAP yielded .3" average.

So what you're saying is that if I got a nightforce or similar for the Savage I would get better than .3" average groups? I dont think so..

Why would I want better glass on a rifle that cant shoot good groups regardless of what scope I have on it? </div></div>

Tom,

You pick one thing out of what I said to get upset about??? Do what pleases you. You asked for advise; I gave you some. Sorry if you don't like it.

If $1200. is too much to spend on a scope, then why did you spend it? I offered a suggestion for you to get back 70% of that $1200. Instead you are offended about my suggestion that it MIGHT be better to have a cheaper rifle than use cheap optics. I got the impression that recouping some hard earned money, plus being able to shoot at longer distances was your goal? Or perhaps I just read it wrong.

I also never suggested a Savage, nor an H&R Topper.

You have a $3000. rifle, coupled with a scope that, although it allows you to shoot great groups at 100 yds, will not let you shoot at the ranges to desire to shoot. So which is it:

Do you want to shoot great groups @ 100 yds?

Or do you want to shoot at longer ranges?

If you want both, sell the friggen Bushnell. Not that there is anything fundamentally wrong with Bushnell's, you just bought the wrong one, for your desired application. If not, keep what pleases you...Not me.

Bob

Wellllllll.....I will tell you my story. I had a zeiss. Awesome glass but I hated the reticle and the european knobs with the left handed threads. Backwards from all the other scopes I had and was a pita to get used to. So I finally sold it. I had the chance to get an used nightforce for an extra 600 bucks or get a new bushnell 4200 tactical 6-24x50mm for 250 less. I sold my zeiss for $1000. I decided to buy the bushnell and buy some other stuff like a drag bag etc. That was 2 months ago.

I now have that scope up for sale and my new/used night force is set to ship out tomorrow. The bushnell is a great scope for the money. I have a bunch of them although they are two 3200 tacticals, and a banner. But I am shooting further and getting more consistant so I am no longer satisfied with the bushnell. It cost me a couple hundred bucks to find out I should have bought the night force instead. Now I am not made of money like some guys on here but if you can keep the nightforce do it. If you are like me you would regret sending it back and always wonder if you should have kept it. Just my opinion.

Bob,

I wasn't responding to you personally, I was just wondering out loud why people always say that about scope/rifle combos, and made an example of my situation.

Not that anything is wrong with the nightforce... I know its an awesome scope. The thing is that within 6 hours of me, the longest range i can shoot is 300 yards... And for that the bushnell works fine. A lot of people here shoot 600 700 yards regularly... maybe it makes a huge difference at that range and i'm just not experienced with it so i didnt know.

I wasnt personally attacking your resopnse, just wondering about what i always hear

I see what you guys are all saying... I have no doubt that the nightforce is superior. And i'm the same way about always wanting the best of everything which is why I bought the GAP in the first place.

Just that times are tight with the economy and if the bushnell gets the job done, I dont want to risk financial troubles buying a nightforce and then having some emergency expense pop up that I potentially cant afford.

I know even if i do send this nightforce back, I will certainly buy it back eventually, when I have more extra money. For now all I want to do is shoot, and the most economical way is to keep the bushnell, despite how badly i want the nightforce... at least thats my thoughts on it...

It appears you already have your mind made up. Not much point in further argument or Poll results. Good luck with your Bushnell.

It is something you have to decide for yourself not a bunch of people on the internet. If you made a mistake and cant afford it right now then send it back.

Your post indicates you can't really afford the NF at this time. The original problem was lack of elevation: that is easily fixed with a new scope rail. Send the NF back.

Tomekeuro85,

I'm not trying to belabor a point. Only you can know, and do what is best, for you.

Let me paint a hypothetical: You have a rifle equivalent of a Corvette, except you mounted tires and rims from a Honda on it, so you cannot use it to its full potential.

At this juncture, you can buy the tires and rims that should be on a Corvette, (like buying the Nightforce), or selling the Corvette, and buying something a little slower, that you can afford to put the correct tires and rims on.

That does not mean keep the Nightfoce, or sell the GAP or whatever. It just means be sure what you want, and be sure what you need, and make sure you can afford both.

Hell, I don't own a GAP Rifle or a any scope as good as a Nightforce. I get along very well with slightly enhanced/ modified Rem 700's, LTR's, XCR's and the like. I run various SWFA SS, Bushnells, Falcon's and a single IOR.

Sure I would like a GAP, with a Nightforce F1 on it thank you, under my Christmas tree. But there ain't no Santa gonna leave it for me.

But I make do. I try to balance my skills with my equipment. I practice, I shoot and I have fun. When my skill level is such, that my equipment is holding me back, I'll consider upgrading.

Best of Luck to you,

Bob

I have little trouble hitting gongs at 1000 yards with my Tasco 10-40 scope. Nor does my brother with his Nikon 8-32.

I would keep the Bushnell and spend the extra money on bullets/powder/cases and gas going to the range to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyreloader</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have little trouble hitting gongs at 1000 yards with my Tasco 10-40 scope. Nor does my brother with his Nikon 8-32.

I would keep the Bushnell and spend the extra money on bullets/powder/cases and gas going to the range to shoot. </div></div>

kyreloader,

Not trying to question your veracity, but how does that work exactly, getting to 1000 yds? The Nikon 8-32 (NikoPlex or BDC reticle) has a whole 20 MOA of adjustment (10 up and 10 down). I don't know what the Tasco has, but I assume around the same, + or - 5 MOA, but since your Tasco has only a dot reticle, and not mildots or BDC reticle, so you can't be using holdovers, how do you do it?

Are we talking dedicated F class or bench rest rigs?

So how do you hit gongs easily @ 1000 yds? And at what range do you zero your scope at?

Just curious.

Thanks,

Bob

I am not trying to dig into your business. However my question is simple. Did you pay cash for the NF?? Or did you charge it?? Because if you charged it then you really haven't bought it yet, you just charged it, and may be paying dearly for it down the road.

If you paid cash then I would keep the NF scope. There is no replacemnent for quality. If you charged the scope then I might consider returning it.

Please do not take this personally, I do no mean it that way. However sometimes it is a question of economics. I am in the same dilema right now between a Huskemaw, and a NF. Tom.

Keep the nightforce and sell the bushnell. I have a bushnell and love it but if I had a nightforce I would keep it.

I have a 20 MOA rail on my rifle and my brother has adjustable rings of some sort for his .308.

My rifle is zeroed for 300 yards and the Tasco had no problems coming up to 1000 yards a couple weekends ago at Young's. I actually used my come ups and walked from 600y to 1000y with first shot hits using JBM and the Tasco. I am not sure what my brothers zero is, all I know is that he cant get zeroed at 300y with his rings (if that helps).

My brother has a Savage ft/r in .308 shooting 155g Bergers about 3050fps and I have a 6.5x284 shooting 140g Bergers about 2950fps.

kyreloader,

Thanks that explains it, 6.5x284 zeroed @ 300 yds.

Bob

I'm going to keep the nightforce, and make my own scope rings to hold it.

This way I can sell 3 sets of badger rings at about 140 each plus the bushnell at 450 plus a badger 20moa rail for like 100.

Thats enough of a cost offset for me.

I'll add one comment.... from the perspective of someone just more or less starting out in this hobby of LR shooting. (but who has shot competitively in a few other disciplines)

"Buy Once, Cry Once" is certainly good advice..... if you can afford what you need now. But how many guys have a nice custom rifle sitting in their safe, no glass, waiting to buy just the right high end scope, "someday". And over the months, maybe years, they are saving their pennies for that "perfect" optic, they are not shooting, learning, or practicing. Or better yet, they have the rifle, spring for nice glass, and now have no money for ammo.

My advice, if you have only the one rifle, is to get the best budget optic you can NOW, spend some money on ammo, and go shooting. After shooting/learning for a while you will either decide the glass is holding you back, or it may be all you need.

Either way, if/when you do switch to a premium scope later, you will appreciate it even more, having some shooting under your belt with the old scope to compare it to.

And if you buy a USED budget scope, ie Super Sniper, Falcon, etc, I bet you get darn near what you paid for it when you sell it later.

Get to shooting; spend your money on ammo and training.... instead of sitting on your hands waiting for the day that may never come when you can afford that NF, USO, or S&B. If you shoot enough, after time, you will decide that a NF isn't that expensive after all compared to ammo costs, etc. And if you can afford one now, more power to you.

Keep the NF. But nothing wrong with "slumming" for a while if the choice is shooting <span style="font-style: italic">now</span>, or not at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to keep the nightforce, and make my own scope rings to hold it.

This way I can sell 3 sets of badger rings at about 140 each plus the bushnell at 450 plus a badger 20moa rail for like 100.

Thats enough of a cost offset for me. </div></div>

Not sure I understand this. You're saying the Badger rings don't fit the GAP or the NSX and you're going to make your own?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomekeuro85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm going to keep the nightforce, and make my own scope rings to hold it.

Thats enough of a cost offset for me.</div></div>

dude....you are wrapped around the axle here.....please tell me where-oh-where in northern illinois YOU will get the chance to shoot anything over 200yd.....

you are jinxing around in all the minutia to what end.....a safe queen!

EVEN if you could find a straight set of RR tracks somewhere south of you.....you court disaster .

tell me i'm fucking wrong.....

I don't understand why you even bought the GAP. If you can't understand why the Nightforce is a better choice, you will probably never be able to tell why the GAP is a better choice either. Sell both and go back to your Savage/Bushnell combo and leave the long range stuff alone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BiggerStick47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't understand why you even bought the GAP. If you can't understand why the Nightforce is a better choice, you will probably never be able to tell why the GAP is a better choice either. Sell both and go back to your Savage/Bushnell combo and leave the long range stuff alone. </div></div>

what action is the GAP built on and are you sure that you have the right scope base??? The rings will most definitely fit the scope, and the scope will most definitely fit the rifle. Sounds to me like you just need to get the right base. But if the above is the case, you might want to sell the GAP and the NF and use the savage

Do you take the popcorn out of the microwave when there's 1 or two pops per second, or 1-2 seconds between pops?

selling the Badger rings and rail and making your own
confused.gif
? If you're that good on a machine, make some rings and bases and sell them to buy a S&B or Premier!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Not sure I understand this. You're saying the Badger rings don't fit the GAP or the NSX and you're going to make your own?</div></div>

The original problem was that the badger rings were too low...
It all fits together, just that theres not enough clearance for the front end of the scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BiggerStick47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't understand why you even bought the GAP. If you can't understand why the Nightforce is a better choice, you will probably never be able to tell why the GAP is a better choice either. Sell both and go back to your Savage/Bushnell combo and leave the long range stuff alone.</div></div>

I am fully aware that the nightforce is superior. I just wondered if I should just go with the bushnell for now.. I figure I already have the NF, may as well keep it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
what action is the GAP built on and are you sure that you have the right scope base??? The rings will most definitely fit the scope, and the scope will most definitely fit the rifle. Sounds to me like you just need to get the right base. But if the above is the case, you might want to sell the GAP and the NF and use the savage</div></div>

Its a Crusader... 7000 action. Its all the right stuff, just the rings were too low for the nightforce as previously mentioned. And the bushnell didnt adjust enough for elevation to zero at 300.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you take the popcorn out of the microwave when there's 1 or two pops per second, or 1-2 seconds between pops?

selling the Badger rings and rail and making your own
confused.gif
? If you're that good on a machine, make some rings and bases and sell them to buy a S&B or Premier!</div></div>

I figure if I make my own I can save that money and use it for ammo. My dad owns a machine shop and I've been working here since I was like 12. We have lots of CNC machines and a CMM to measure with.. I make parts daily that are a lot more complex and much tighter tolerances than scope rings so these wont be any problem.

Perhaps I may look into making them on a bigger scale, but who knows. I dont really have time.

why not just put a Want To Trade ad for your badger rings and trade for the ones that you need? That sounds like the most logical to me. And then sell what you dont need after that.

One other problem I noticed with the bushnell (4200 tac) is the cross hair is really thick. Try holding on a clay pigeon at 1000yds its doable but my np2 is much much nicer!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why not just put a Want To Trade ad for your badger rings and trade for the ones that you need? That sounds like the most logical to me. And then sell what you dont need after that.</div></div>

I figure I can make my own rings for free and use the $140 from another set to buy a bunch of ammo/reloading supplies.

making scope rings may not be as easy as you are thinking. Even with your machining knowledge and skill. But to each his own.