• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What would you do now?

Btrain

Shooter up!
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2013
KS
I picked up a second hand rifle from a hide member(.308 / 200 rounds fired)That was built by a very well know smith. I am not naming the company because I don’t want to start any controversy or discredit them in any way.

what I would like your opinions on is!

i have put about 70 rnds of federal 168 Gold match down range and its shooting about.8 on average... not overly horrible but not great. I’m just surprised due to it’s pedigree- expecting it to be a 1/2” Gun easy and thought it likely a hammer. I know it’s early in the game but just curious on the direction you would go? Trying what ammo? Barrel scrub? Etc...

I am not a top notch shooter but have no issue being 1/2” off a bench with my other rifles

thanks for the input

Ask seller what ammo he was using or was recommended by builder to give the .5moa figure.
Or better yet, PM me and sell at a crazy price because the barrel is clearly shot out and you got screwed.

• Haha
Reactions: MCHOG
^^^that too. Fire sale that piece of crap...to me. Unload your headaches.

Check the base and ring screws to make sure they aren’t loose. Also check/re-torque the action.
What kind of trigger ? A good trigger, set at a reasonable release can make a world of difference.

Also, see if you can have another shooter with lots of experience shoot it and see what kind of groups he gets.

Last edited:
practice , play have fun great round to play with Id enjoy it as much as I could as often as I could and start planning my next purchase I am sure you could with time and practice shrink you group size down even if its just a tiny bit you could also stretch that out further and further . good luck on what ever you choose Its always good to be alive and have choices .

i had a 308 that would spray 168s all over the place but put 175s in one hole... try some other ammo.

Reactions: MPrimo
I just ordered a few other boxes to try... thx

I picked up a second hand rifle from a hide member(.308 / 200 rounds fired)That was built by a very well know smith. I am not naming the company because I don’t want to start any controversy or discredit them in any way.

what I would like your opinions on is!

i have put about 70 rnds of federal 168 Gold match down range and its shooting about.8 on average... not overly horrible but not great. I’m just surprised due to it’s pedigree- expecting it to be a 1/2” Gun easy and thought it likely a hammer. I know it’s early in the game but just curious on the direction you would go? Trying what ammo? Barrel scrub? Etc...

I am not a top notch shooter but have no issue being 1/2” off a bench with my other rifles

thanks for the input
Same thing you do with any new gun. Fine-tooth comb the thing.

Decopper the barrel completely but not in an overly aggressive fashion. Pull the BA from the stock and check the bedding, sometimes during cleaning or assembly crud can get in there. Check torque on the action screws. Check torque on rail/bases. Check torque on rings to base. Check that the scope is secure.

Then start looking at ammo. What is throated for a specific bullet profile?

Try some FGGM 175s or 185 Bergers and see if things improve if you don't reload.