• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Would you do with a 7mm WSM Barrel?

Juggerxxx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
As the tittle says; what would you do with a new 7mm DTA barrel and are there any other options for turning it into a different cartridge? Objective would be for long range target that I would handload for so not opposed to odd cartridges. Is it possible for a gunsmith to ream it into a different cartridge if desired or would you just shoot it?

If you don't have brass maybe look at 7saum?

I would think you could set the barrel back and ream the chamber for this cartridge?

Disclaimer: I am not a gunsmith, this is just a WAG on my part.

But post info on what you find out please.

Nothing wrong with a 7mm WSM, it’s a fine cartridge. If you can’t find headstamped brass you can neck down .300 wsm with a false shoulder and fire form.

I have a 7 wsm barrel for my Desert tech that SAC put together, I like the cartridge even though brass can be hard to find. I plan on sticking with the caliber since I had to have magazines modified to get my rifle to feed.

Great cartridge. Love mine. Brass is the only issue (and short barrel life, but that’s the same with any similar round). It’s a shame it has become an unpopular loading. We shot it for several years in comps. As you have the barrel, shoot it.

Thank you gentlemen for the feedback. I wasn’t certain that barrels could be reamed into other cartridges if desired. I was also unaware of the shortage of 7mm brass until you made mention of it and I started looking around. As of now I looked at a few different places and none of them had brass available. What the hell is that about? High demand or is it a dying cartridge?

The demand is there. But Winchester Bulk components has not ran production of this for 6+ years.
It truly is a wonderful easy to load round. Hornady is said to be releasing some brass in the next 4-5 months, but I am not holding my breath.
I use my 7wsm just for shooting steel and have had great success out to 1480yds using H1000 and 180 Bergers.
Hopefully brass will someday be readily available.

The demand is there. But Winchester Bulk components has not ran production of this for 6+ years.
It truly is a wonderful easy to load round. Hornady is said to be releasing some brass in the next 4-5 months, but I am not holding my breath.
I use my 7wsm just for shooting steel and have had great success out to 1480yds using H1000 and 180 Bergers.
Hopefully brass will someday be readily available.

They ran a batch last year because Cabela's had it in stock for a short period of time. They are in a different bag than the old stuff. Unfortunately money was a little tight for me or I would have loaded up on it.

IIRC you can recut chamber to something bigger but not smaller
SAUM mag is slightly smaller if my memory serves me right

At my LGS there are 2 sources for 7WSM brass: Federal and Winchester ammunition on the shelf. They're about $35 a box of 20. At that price it's almost worth buying the ammo and pull it down for the brass alone. Otherwise I'd neck up/down/fireform .270/.300 WSM brass or consider the 7mm/.300 WSM wildcat.

Beyond that the 7mm in WSM flavor is very capable. A buddy's got an F-Open LR gun and is driving the 180 Berger Hybrids at 3150fps. It's very effective.

It's not likely any cheaper or easier to source brass, but you might be able to clean out the chamber for the 28 Nosler for even more barrel burning oomph.