• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What would YOU do?

Bloody_Tailgate

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
Ok in a time of weakness I found a "good deal" on a VTR in .308. I have replaced the stock, bedded the action, and tried several loads with some good results but the long lead won't let me shoot the VLD bullets I want to and still fit them in the mag. I am now thinking of rebarreling it and was wondering what some of you would pick for long range hunting with a short action.

Re: What would YOU do?

do different bullets....if you would have sniffed around here for a while you would have found that them .308 VLD don't jump well

them red-tipped AMAX blow 'em up

I actually have not even tried the VLDs, I tried some of the Nosler BT's in 150gr and I had to seat them .032 off the lands if I remember correctly to fit them in the mag and they did not shoot well at all. Currently I am shooting Hornady 165gr SP with 3/4" groups but I would like to shoot a heavier bullet with a higher B.C.

Have you tried 155 Scenars? You dont need heavy to have good BC. Scenars dont mind jumping.

What length does it like compared to the box length? Can a Wyatts extended box do the trick or is it to far? I cut and oxy welded mine longer and can get 2.880 in it now?

No, I have not tried the Scenars yet. I have been reading this site for almost two years, just trying to learn all that I can. I have seen a LOT of talk about the Scenars but I can't find them around here...maybe it's time to order some.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EVILFORCE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would turn my barrel in a turn and rechamber it. The VLDs will sure shoot. </div></div>

Exactly. Find a good smith and do a setback then rechamber to allow VLD's if that's what you want to shoot. Should be able to throat 'em to allow fitting in factory mag. Especially A-maxes.

I was wondering about installing a new DBM on mine. The longest I can go is 2.825and be able to load the mag. Would installing a badger get me any more length?