• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what would you pay for brass prep?

rrflyer

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2008
DFW, TX
I've got a lot of down time with my current job and have been trying to figure out a way to do something productive with my time off.

Anyhow I've been thinking about picking up a Giraud trimmer anyhow and wondering what it might be worth to people to have there brass full length size, trimmed, and polished?!?!?

Is there anyone out there who does this currently that I could look at prices at?

I was thinking in terms of flat rate boxes of brass for easy shipping and pricing.

Thanks.

Re: what would you pay for brass prep?

I would pay for someone else to do my brass prep. Awhile back, either here or on CalGuns there was a gent offering this kind of deal.
If my memory severs me, he was charging $50.00 per thousand.

Take care,Stan

We had someone here a few years ago recuperating from surgery. He decided to offer the service for a reasonable fee, as he enjoyed prepping brass, and needed to keep busy while healing.
I sent him about a thousand pieces of.223 and .308, got it all back in a couple weeks, and he did a great job!

He also realized that he didn't enjoy prepping brass as much as he thought he did, and that he was going to stop offering the service.

I seem to recall sending the brass to Enfield, Connecticut, if that'll help figure who he is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a lot of down time with my current job and have been trying to figure out a way to do something productive with my time off.

Anyhow I've been thinking about picking up a Giraud trimmer anyhow and wondering what it might be worth to people to have there brass full length size, trimmed, and polished?!?!?

Is there anyone out there who does this currently that I could look at prices at?

I was thinking in terms of flat rate boxes of brass for easy shipping and pricing.

Thanks. </div></div>

I was in your boat a year back and looked into getting the Giraud, a Ken Light annealing machine, a Dillon CV-2001 cleaner, Dillon media separator Dillon SuperSwage 600 and doing the 'brass prep' thing myself.

Making like $10 an hour and timing things out on non-commercial machinery, I needed to get $70-$80/1000 pieces processed (excluding s/h) for just sizing, trimming, decrimping and then 're'cleaning the stuff. I might be able to do 5-7 orders a week and not burn out.

Guys are charging $30-$40 before shipping, for the same amount and I just didn't see where it was worth it to the customer, or to me, for the current 'low going prices' because they have a lot of automated machinery to make it faster.

Flat Rate box to and from, $10.35 ($20.70, which customer pays.)

Cleaning 1000 cases for an hour in 2 or 3 batches (2-3 hours)

Separating media from brass (30 min)

Lubing and sizing 1000 cases (2 hours?)

Cleaning lube off at 30 minutes, 2 or 3 batches (1-1.5 hours)

Separating media from brass #2 (30 min)

Decrimping 1000 cases on Dillon SS600 (2 hours?)

Trimming on a Giraud, 1000 cases (1.5 hours?)

Annealing would be an additional charge, as would uniforming the primer pockets and uniforming the flash holes.

The cleaning part, you can be doing other things, but lubing/sizing, decrimping and trimming are still going to cost you time.

I don't think people are willing to pay $90 to have either 1000 5.56/223 or 1000 7.62/308 cases prepped.

My thought anyway.

Good luck though.

Chris

Chris thanks for mapping it out...Im still considering it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adician</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd be willing to pay $90 per 1000, as long as there were a deal on bulk prepping... </div></div>

Hi, thanks for the input.

Let's just keep it at $80 plus you pay shipping both ways for $21. You're now into it for $101.

We're talking pretty much 5.56/223 and 7.62/308 here, to keep the Giraud cost down to two caliber cutters and two case holders.

I'd venture a guess that 5.56/223 will be the bulk of what's sent in vs. 7.62/308.

5.56/223 has more military/crimped in primer headstamps than 7.62/308, as we have PMC, Pivi, LC and whatever freakin' crap ATK/LC/Federal is crimping on their production runs. The .30 cal military brass is pretty much confined to LC, which is crimped. I'd no doubt see LC only, military 7.62 in any given 1000 ct. batch, but also a lot more commercial brass, which won't need to be decrimped. You will probably save time on .308 vs. .223, due to the amount of crimps in any given 1k batch sent to you.

After you do your initial cleaning, one is going to have to quickly inspect and sort those thousand pieces, checking for neck splits and then segregating them into commercial and military batches.

Since the Dillon SuperSwage 600 is sensitive to specific headstamps for removing crimps, you're going to have to 'batch out' those varying mil headstamps, because you'll have to readjust the swager to handle them, in order to properly get that crimp rolled back.

Sorting 1000 pieces of brass will take an hour, I'd imagine, so there's another hit that has to be taken into account.

Since you're 'bulk' lubing them, you'll have to use something like Dillon's spray lube, which is $8 a bottle. I don't know how many thousands of cases a bottle can do, but you're going to be shooting for 5,000-6,000 cases a week, so let's say a bottle per week.

In addition, you're cleaning each batch, twice, one being loaded with lube and your media will load up quickly, so you'll need to have a lot of it on hand, going forward, so there's an added expense which needs inclusion into your 'cost/benefit' analysis.

I just looked and the CV-2001 is $185 and the large media separator is $76, so $261 before shipping--calling it $300 after shipping..

A Giraud with the two case/cutter setups is what, $500-$550 shipped? The SuperSwage 600 is $97, so call it $110 shipped. Forgoing the KenLight, another $500-$550, you're looking at $960 that is part of your nut and needs to be paid for. Media and a few bottles of polish and lube throw you over $1000 easily.

Let's say that you have everything staggered for ease of processing and you can do one a day for six days a week, with a turn around time of one week promised to your customers, from date of receipt. You might get your $8-$10/hour for actual time spent and have $20 leftover to go to your principal (tools/supplies) which means 50 batches will pay off that nut and going forward, it's all gravy. This will take about 8-9 weeks of constant orders.

I just looked and the CV-2001 can handle 550 30/06 cases, so 223 and 308 will probably only need too cycles to complete, not three, but you also have to account for that electricity used. Also, you have wear and tear on your press and dies to consider.

It can be worthwhile, if you don't start suffering order confusion (keeping things humming along, but separated while you clean the second order and work on sizing/decrimping/trimming the first order).

If guys are willing to pay that $101 total, for 1k pieces, you can make a go out of it and slowly get your money back, but doing 5-6k of brass a week, leaves little time for your own reloading chores and burnout can be a real problem.

Anyhow, this is the throught process I went through. You can't compete with the guys doing it for $30-$40 on commercial grade machines.

Now, I have the tools and bushing dies and with a Ken Light machine, I can offer other services that the pro guys don't offer, but to uniform 1000 primer pockets, or deburr 1000 flash holes, will add another $30 per step, per 1k, in my mind. I might charge somebody $40 to anneal 1k necks, but that's probably not going to be needed for .223 brass being shot out of an AR, where 2-4 cycles is reasonable.

One might pay for these extra steps for .308 brass, which will be fired out of bolt guns, but I don't see the added expense being worth it for people loading up blasting ammo.

Have a good one, Chris

I sent out some .223, and some .308 brass to be prepped for me because the primer pockets needed to be swaged, and I don't have anything to swage them with.

It cost me $30K for polishing, resizing, trimming, and having the primer pockets swaged, plus shipping both ways. When it got back, I uniformed thr primer pockets, and de-burred the inside, and outside of the mouths, but, I really wouldn't have had to.

The fellow really did a nice job, and if I didn't have to pay for shipping, at that price, I'd never prep my own rifle brass again!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RH4540</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sent out some .223, and some .308 brass to be prepped for me because the primer pockets needed to be swaged, and I don't have anything to swage them with.

It cost me $30K for polishing, resizing, trimming, and having the primer pockets swaged, plus shipping both ways. When it got back, I uniformed thr primer pockets, and de-burred the inside, and outside of the mouths, but, I really wouldn't have had to.

The fellow really did a nice job, and if I didn't have to pay for shipping, at that price, I'd never prep my own rifle brass again! </div></div>

Unless that guy has a commercial machine that rockets that stuff out, he's losing money. If he's doing it with the stuff you and I could buy and implement easily, there's no way he could be making any money, from the numbers I'm running by you guys.

I have the money to buy the tools and I have the time to do it 5 or 6 days a week, but I just don't see 5 or 6 people spending the $80 on me, per week, when there are guys like yours, who can do it for $30/1k.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocHoliday13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just paid a guy $40 per K to just trim. He accepts brass as payment </div></div>

If you had a Giraud, that would be worth the effort, for the trimmer guy, but I think that you're the exception to the rule, as most would want it sized, decrimped and trimmed, all at once.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocHoliday13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just paid a guy $40 per K to just trim. He accepts brass as payment </div></div>

If you had a Giraud, that would be worth the effort, for the trimmer guy, but I think that you're the exception to the rule, as most would want it sized, decrimped and trimmed, all at once.

Chris </div></div>

I bought some quality dies and I have a dillon super swage, but I'm yet to drop coin on a giraud. Honestly for anyone to make it worth their while to do brass prep $80 per K would "reasonable"

$40.00 per 1,000 just to trim? I need to get in that business.

I thought about something similar one time. I actually had a lady working for me, pouring jigs and packaging plastics. But it was slow in certain seasons, and I was looking for something to fill her time, so I pursued what you are considering.

Then I talked to a lawyer and found out what I was opening myself up to. Then I spoke to a couple of insurance agents to find out what it would cost to cover myself for what I was opening myself up to. And that was the end of that. Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought about something similar one time. I actually had a lady working for me, pouring jigs and packaging plastics. But it was slow in certain seasons, and I was looking for something to fill her time, so I pursued what you are considering.

Then I talked to a lawyer and found out what I was opening myself up to. Then I spoke to a couple of insurance agents to find out what it would cost to cover myself for what I was opening myself up to. And that was the end of that. Tom. </div></div>

In a time when anybody can sue you for looking at them the wrong way, this would be a consideration, although people sending in their own brass would probably not have a viable claim, if say a case head separated, one still would need to hire a lawyer. Also, there is the issue of incorrectly sizing a case, to contend with, but that would be tough to prove, as well.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought about something similar one time. I actually had a lady working for me, pouring jigs and packaging plastics. But it was slow in certain seasons, and I was looking for something to fill her time, so I pursued what you are considering.

Then I talked to a lawyer and found out what I was opening myself up to. Then I spoke to a couple of insurance agents to find out what it would cost to cover myself for what I was opening myself up to. And that was the end of that. Tom. </div></div>

It's pretty damn hard to get into ANY line of business these days from scratch and actually make money. It's only going to get worse, with even more laws and regulations to comply with coming down the pipe as we speak (they've passed a boatload that will just decimate small businesses, but which won't take effect for a year or two), plus the lawyers. Hell, just wait till the new 1099 requirements come on line in little over a year... you'll have to file for all transactions over $600, for everyone you buy or sell to.

I'm in the same boat as some here... lots of time not working, or no work at all, and the skills and tools to do basic brass prep. My girl was actually asking why I'm not trying to make money off it.

Simple answer, if you do it to the letter of the law - if you even can at all, and that's questionable - you're just not going to make any money.

When things get bad enough there will be plenty of people who just say "screw it" and do it anyways, and to hell with the government and the paperwork. At that point there'll be plenty of demand for ammo anyways.