• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What You Didn't Know About The Rem. 5R...

ARbowhunter7

Private
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2010
Cartersville, GA
I recently heard about a new gun shop that opened along one of my usual travel routes, so I stopped by to check it out. They had some decent cases, so I asked the guy at the counter if I might be able to bring in my rifle to see how it fit in one of them (it's sort of bulky).

I bring it in (Rem. 5R all done up by GAP), and show him that it is unloaded. He scopes it out and lets out a long whistle. He asks me how much I know about the gun, and I replied, "A little, but I bought it pretty much like it is". He then says, "Well let me tell you a little about this rifle" and proceeds to inform me of how useless the modifications are that have been made to the gun. Things like the fact that a magazine won't feed reliably into a bolt action rifle. He knew this because he had tried every possible way in his shop over the years...it just wouldn't work. It will fail when you need it the most. Also, the heavy-gauge trigger guard can put too much pressure on the trigger assembly, causing a FTF. And that the magazine looked like a cut-down AR magazine. As you may have guessed, he was talking about my Badger DBM with an Accuracy International 10-rounder.

He then asked about my scope (NF NXS 5.5-22x50). Said he had to laugh when he saw big useless scopes like that on a rifle, and said that "cheap gun-show scope makers like this one (NightForce)" added all these useless knobs to jack up the price and make it look like a military scope. He said not to set the rifle down too hard, or that "gun-show scope" might break.

Needless to say, I was holding in laughter the whole time but I managed to just smile and nod as I tried to make my way to the door. As I turned to leave he asked me if I knew why Remington called it a 5R. I bit, and he informed me that the name was derived from a special trigger that was set at (you guessed it) 5 lbs. That's where the name comes from.

Overall, it was a very informative stop to say the least. I didn't buy the case.

Re: What You Didn't Know About The Rem. 5R...

OMG, we need to keep a list of these places. I can save my money by spending an afternoon there instead of going to a comedy club.

Not a gunshop, but I needed a replacement screw for my KAC UNS mount. I stopped by the local Fastenal store and brought the rifle in (cased). I told the parts guy what I needed and we walked back to the shelves and began test fitting screws. Another customer was there and eyeballed the AI. He asked me "what the heck kind of rifle is that?". I get that a lot around here, so I informed him it was an Accuracy International. He asked where it was made, so I told him. He started mumbling something about "damn foreign rifles". Then he proceeded to tell me I needed to get a Remington 700 like the one he was issued in the Army. I simply told him I had several of them, paid for my screws and bit him good day. I couldn't help but chuckle though.

I have been to more than one gun shop like that.... My local shop has Tactical Tuesday's..... They all dress up in thigh rigs and vests with all types of pouches and carry like 3 weapons each.... I drive faster when I go past that place.

You got to love Gunshop Wisdom. Fortunately my dealer is a little more knowledgeable...

He's right. That nightforce is a big useless POS. In fact if you send it to me, i'll send you a deer slaying simmons 3-9 in it's stead. That guy knows his stuff and i'd be happy to take that nightforce, GAP worked on 5r, and various other pointless stuff you have off your hands.
laugh.gif

Dang it. Does that mean my 5R isn't a 5R any more since I put in the 1 lb Jewell trigger? That really stinks....guess it's a 1R now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Little Z28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dang it. Does that mean my 5R isn't a 5R any more since I put in the 1 lb Jewell trigger? That really stinks....guess it's a 1R now. </div></div>

Haha. You are the proud owner or a Remington 1R. Good news is this: the 5R is a limited production rifle which means your 1R has to be even MORE limited (valuable). By that system, I guess I have a Remington 2.75R.

I often wonder about folks like that, and not just gun shop folks.
Do some people go through life in a totally clueless mental state, or are they just BS'ing and assuming that they live in a world of totally clueless idiots?

What's really bad about this whole thing is that he's probably got a large following of other Tards that believe him ,, And unsuspecting new gun owners that he's getting off to a great start,,,

i love this...but really, all you have to do is walk into academy, or a gander mountain. I also overheard in one of my local gun stores, which this really surprised me, but there was a girl in there who probably only weighed 100 pounds trying to buy something for self defense, so the guy shows her the taurus short barreled judge, you know, the one that shoots 410 round and 45 colt rounds and kicks like crazy (or at least that was my experience with it) instead of something more managable for her. not as funny as your story, it actually kind of upset me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeff 03</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been to more than one gun shop like that.... My local shop has Tactical Tuesday's..... They all dress up in thigh rigs and vests with all types of pouches and carry like 3 weapons each.... I drive faster when I go past that place. </div></div>

artillery shed?

You gotta love these "experts", I wonder if they actually belive their own shit or are they strictly working on making a commission?????????
Smile and wave boys, smile and wave.
SScott

If I buy a new gun or parts, etc., I usually go to a place called Rifle Gear in Costa Mesa California. Its workers are the exact polar opposite of most clueless gun store types. At times I really wonder if the guys who work there were raised by Marine sniper fathers as most of them know a ton of stuff about every military or tactical weapon ever made. I am glad I ran into them when I did because the other choice in SoCal, Turners...was the biggest dispenser of FUD on the planet.

x2 on academy was looking to buy some 30mm rings, the guy told me that I was talking about the objective and that what I needed was 1" rings, I said no sir I need 30mm rings he said no your confused on the obj size and the tube size, I asked two more times and tried to explain that my scope had a 30mm main tube, he would not listen to me, So I walked over to the show case and said can I see that Millet scope there and he handed it to me, I showed it to him and said does this tube look like a 1" tube and do you have rings that fit it? He again told me I needed 1" rings and that there was nothing different about it.....I left and went to a local gun dealer and he had a set of 30mm rings for me.

You're a better sport than me I guess. If he downed my rifle and then my scope I would have been pissed. You def. need to post the name of this place so it can be avoided.

I had a gunshop guy tell me a bullet speeds up after it leaves the barrel, then it slows down after 25 yards or so.
crazy.gif

I dont think I have EVER been to a gun store/ Gun show without meeting idiots.

.....our local gunsmith is ok...but some of his employees make me want to load my rifle in the shop....lol...

....and over the weekend I was at our local gun show and was looking at a few "novelty" items for sale...the guy had a box of dummy .50 cal rounds with large "INERT" bullets in them...I picked one up to inspect it and asked what they were used for...he responded with "guess you cant read?" .....I politely responded and asked what he meant.....he proceeds to pull an old index card out from under the rounds that says: Do Not Touch.......I apologized and informed him that I could not see the card as it was buried under the rounds...he then takes the dummy round from me and throws it right back on top of the card(covering it up again) and says..."guess its too difficult for you to understand, like one of those childrens puzzles with the squares and circles.." ....I told him he should put the "dont touch" card in front of the box and he turns away and yells "ok...I guess im just wrong bye bye!" ... VERY rude...I just dont see the logic in being such an asshat.

I just found out a while back that Leupold makes Swarovski optics.
It's never a wasted day when you learn something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nut job</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a gunshop guy tell me a bullet speeds up after it leaves the barrel, then it slows down after 25 yards or so.
crazy.gif
</div></div> Bullets do, sometimes increase in speed, for a very short distance (inches or fractions of an inch, in most cases-depending on powder and brl length). Gravity works all the time, regardles of the velocity, negative acceleration starts (slowing) as soon as max vel is achieved, fractions of an inch from muzzle. But often a bullet does increse in forward velocity after leaving the muzzle (again in inches, or fractions of an inch).

Yep, I can't count how many times I have stood in a gun shop shaking my head at what I just heard the guy behind the counter tell some poor soul. A few times I have tried to diplomatically add some fact to their discussion, but it usually ends in frustration.
What's funny is that I worked in a gun shop years ago, and I seem to remember thinking the same thing about customers then. We used to joke about the internet ninjas that would come into the store to regale us with their knowledge and tactical superiority.

That's awesome. Some of the local gun shops here have some real favoritism when it comes to gun brands. I can think of one that believes everything that's not a Glock is inferior, and if you don't like glocks you're wrong. Needless to say I only fondle guns there as a result, I rarely buy them there. Come to think of it, I've rarely bought anything there and I don't think I've ever bought a gun there.

Got to love the know it alls. I have had similar experiences. I was told that my .308 would never make it to 1000 yards and that I needed to pick a new caliber.

The 5R meaing 5 lbs takes the cake though.

I've been to plenty of those shops. Which is scary.
Maybe to help inform the shop owner, you should print out this thread and bring it in to him. My guess is that he is also not familar with what the "internet" is.. or that it will go out of fashion.. like the phone.

I would say with all the knowledge the shop owner has ,, He was probably with Gore when they invented the Internet and the 5r

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The 5R meaing 5 lbs takes the cake though. </div></div>

Also that Leupold makes Swarovski Optics now lol.

I've been to a place or two where some people behind the counter are wrong per say but nothing extreme like these crazy people being mentioned. Although if someone told me how inferior my rifle was i wouldn't take it kindly, even if he doesn't know what he's talking about it's the fact he went out of his way to down something of yours or mine so to speak. As my dad's told me and i've learned, It's better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and prove it.

there should be a screening process before anyone can open a gun store and start spewing lies. like maybe a 300 question test on random facts of various fields of shooting. 90% or better to pass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kentactic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there should be a screening process before anyone can open a gun store and start spewing lies. like maybe a 300 question test on random facts of various fields of shooting. 90% or better to pass.</div></div>

Thats a really good idea, would verify that the customer is getting good advice and has a good quality store to go to.