• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What you like best about your reloading area:

sdkidaho

Nobody
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2009
Idaho, USA
I put this in the wrong forum earlier - sorry about that.

I've been reading through and looking at the bench pics thread:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=228160&nt=5&page=1

What I'm wondering about is what you like best about your own reloading bench - something you couldn't live without if you had to rebuild. As in - what makes it easier, or what you thought was a great idea for your reloading setup.

Add in a picture of it (whatever it is) if you can. I'm just starting out and will be building an area to do my reloading in and would like all the advice I can get.

Thanks in advance.

Re: What you like best about your reloading area:

The best advice I can give you is to figure out how big of a bench you are going to need, then add 2 feet to its length. The last thing you want is to outgrow your current bench and have to build another one.

Another thing you want to do is make sure you have a lot of storage room for your powders, primers and tools.

Well I'm not lucky enough to have a dedicated bench, I have to use the breakfast bar in the kitchen, and clamp all my equipment to it and put it away in storage boxes when I'm finished. It's a PITA and my wife moans (especially if I'm loading thru meal times) but on the plus side, I'm right next to the kitchen television/computer.. And within arms reach of the snacks in the refrigerator!
Both VERY important reloading aids!!!

It took a little bit of time to make, but I'm really happy with the results:

26981_105071949531195_100000851713535_52828_6880585_n.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best advice I can give you is to figure out how big of a bench you are going to need, then add 2 feet to its length. The last thing you want is to outgrow your current bench and have to build another one.

Another thing you want to do is make sure you have a lot of storage room for your powders, primers and tools. </div></div>

I`ll agree 100% on that. It`ll end up taking up WAY more room than you ever thought.

I'll agree with whats already been said, great advice, my bench is a little cluttered too, that however lead me to a better idea, which is what I wanted to contribute. My bench is about 18inches deep by about 2.5 ft wide with an 0.25 steel sheet on top (makes a nice work surface) I have it bolted down to the floor for stability, but when pressed for space I found that building a shelf, next to my bench on the wall, made the perfect place to put my digital scale. no matter how vigorous I am at loading, my scale is untouched by the motion of the bench, therefore I can be charging cases on my left, and seating/sizing cases on my right. It has made my reloading both faster and more uniform.

Also figure out if you want to stand or sit while you reload. If your planning on sitting you will want to put everything within arms reach.

Think about table top height if you plan on standing. The neck and shoulders will thank you. Think about knee room if you plan on sitting, something I had no control over since I inherited a family workbench. Cabinet storage for powder, drawer storage for primers and bullets, shelves for your containers of brass, solvents and such. More shelves for other loading componets. Keep your work area as clutter free as possible. you'll be doing dissasemblies and cleaning there as well as reloading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdkidaho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I'm wondering about is what you like best about your own reloading bench - something you couldn't live without if you had to rebuild. </div></div>

The thing I enjoy the most is <drum roll>

The quiet.

No really......

The single most thing I enjoy most is... the mortgage is almost paid off ... again.

Built it myself, with quality, and plenty of forethought for storage. Add to that Location, location, location. It's in my cool, comfortable and quiet basement.

The best thing I like about my reloading area in the garage is my wife is in the house.

So what we have so far is:

-Build it bigger than you initially intended to.
-Computer, TV and a fridge is nice to have.
-Custom shelf to hold all the dies.
-Possibly a steel top on the bench as a work surface.
-Nearby shelf unattached to the bench to keep digital scale on so it won't be disturbed while reloading.
-Decide on standing or sitting and design such.
-Make sure to have plenty of storage.

Thanks guys - looking forward to seeing what else there is to add in.

That separate platform/shelf/stand for the powder equipment is definitely a good idea. It is in my plans for when things change here from "get up and running" to "one day I'm gonna..."

Now if only the funds would keep up with the plans, then we'd be rockin'.

There may be some who have a solid/poured benchtop, but as of yet I am not one of them.

Now at the head of the Assistant Redundancy Department, (to back up the Primary Redundancy Division) does anyone have any insight to your own personal "monitoring camera" being operated by said computer? With a remote hard-drive that is enclosed in a hardened/fireproofed location?

God forbid it is ever needed, but (God Forbid again) the wire were to ever be penetrated, the mine-field crossed, the dogs drugged, the retina-scan mimicked, voice-print analyzer dubbed, and the lock picked, there would then be pictures to fall back on.

Or should streaming video be considered?

Seeing that you should be finished chuckling about now, security and backup security is a consideration to which little is spoken of. With good reason.

But don't forget to add that to your considerations.

I like that it is my space. I use the garage which I installed an A/C and heater in. I am still able to use it for parking the vehicles and workshop area. Helps that it is clmate controlled year round. Take the advice and build it bigger than you think. I ended up using twice the space I thought I needed not counting component storage. My bench is 2ft by 8 ft.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LBH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like that it is my space. I use the garage which I installed an A/C and heater in. I am still able to use it for parking the vehicles and workshop area. Helps that it is clmate controlled year round. Take the advice and build it bigger than you think. I ended up using twice the space I thought I needed not counting component storage. My bench is 2ft by 8 ft. </div></div>

My original bench was 2x6 ft, and after a new press I made it 2x8ft and running out of room quick. Make it as big as possible because now I want a single stage press to go with my progressive and don't have anywhere to put it.

Regarding security measures.. I don't know much about retinal scanners and fingerprint recognition,
but I keep my cats food bowl underneath where I load.. If I forget to feed her, she attacks anybody within a 6ft radius of the bench until she's fed. No mercy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It took a little bit of time to make, but I'm really happy with the results:

</div></div>

I really like that die holder rack. Inquiring minds want to know what size the holes are.

what we have so far is:

-Build it bigger than you initially intended to.
-Computer, TV and a fridge is nice to have.
-Custom shelf to hold all the dies.
-Possibly a steel top on the bench as a work surface.
-Nearby shelf unattached to the bench to keep digital scale on so it won't be disturbed while reloading.
-Decide on standing or sitting and design such.
-Make sure to have plenty of storage.
-Climate control (AC and Heat).
-Security of some kind.

if u cant, or dont want to bolt it to the wall consider an L shaped bench. really helps w stability.

old pix of mine, its sporting additions

bench001.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It took a little bit of time to make, but I'm really happy with the results:

</div></div>

Ratbert, is that a magnetic holder that you have your calipers attached to? And, if so, are you worried the magnets may put your tools out of calibration by magnetising the arms on the dials and fudging with the circuits in the digital?

Im liking the die rack, looks really nice
laugh.gif