• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's -40* feel like?

Come to Minnesota we get to -20 at least once a year. It sucks

Yep, every year, usually sometime Around the third week of January. Always fun to go outside and enjoy the brisk mornings.

Attachments

• IMAG1600.jpg
    IMAG1600.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 23
Go to fort drum, soldiers from Alaska go there for cold-weather training. -46 my first winter there in 2010

Spent many of cold days there for my 3.5 year stay at Drum.

Upper part of North Dakota can be brutal.

Worked with a guy in the Northwest US, I cannot remember the exact temp., I was bundled up freezing, he being a older person and heavy set, was outside in a t-shirt while we worked inside a cargo trailer with tie downs, with sweat dripping off his face and shirt soaked. Never seen anything like it, and he was from Texas.

It's sad but you get use to it. A few weeks of the extreme cold will make you appreciate the days that are at least 0 or above.

Heck after -40°, or more, you will be out with your jeans and a hoodie snow blowing your driveway

-50F, no wind, Ambler, Alaska. It's dangerously cold, even with all the right gear. If you throw a hot cup of water into the air, you can hear it freeze as it turns to a steam looking frozen frost. If you pee on an ocean cargo container, you make a weird looking sort of inverted icicle...AND you can evacuate your bladder in record time!! Put a 55 gallon barrel on the fire with about a gallon of water in it. Once you see a heavy flow of steam, close the bung and kick it off the fire. It will crush itself like a beer can unless a break in the metal happens. Water expands 1700 times as it turns to steam, and vice-versa. Epstein didn't hang himself but Weinstein should consider it.

-50F, no wind, Ambler, Alaska. It's dangerously cold, even with all the right gear. If you throw a hot cup of water into the air, you can hear it freeze as it turns to a steam looking frozen frost. If you pee on an ocean cargo container, you make a weird looking sort of inverted icicle...AND you can evacuate your bladder in record time!! Put a 55 gallon barrel on the fire with about a gallon of water in it. Once you see a heavy flow of steam, close the bung and kick it off the fire. It will crush itself like a beer can unless a break in the metal happens. Water expands 1700 times as it turns to steam, and vice-versa. Epstein didn't hang himself but Weinstein should consider it.

Steam...

IMG_20200101_011739327.jpg

Saturated or Super?

E

I knew a guy that used to be army stationed in ak. He told me they were cautioned to be careful with their rifles, that the barrel could easily break at very low temps. True?

i grew up in that shit never again will my skin feel cold i wore Reefs, board shorts and t-shirt yesterday. my cold weather aversion is so bad i pass on free condo invites in snowmass and heavenly every year.

Reactions: BytorJr
Not as cold as it was here the other day.View attachment 7213920
One of the funniest things I can remember about cold is this. My uncle from Virginia was courting my aunt at the time. The men of the family took him skiing as we had a ski house up along the Canadian border. It was really cold with about 12' of snow on the ground. My uncle was saying yep it gets pretty cold at home many times near zero in January. Well he went out to start the car and looked at the thermometer and instead of reading a temp the mercury was just a ball in the bottom I think it was -30 at the bottom and the ball was below that. He went and sucked it up but he wasn't happy about it at the time. He had just returned from VN about a week before so the change was well above just a couple hundred miles north like for us.
Working may suck but coyote hunting is over the top fun in super cold weather. They come on a string with a good caller electronic or otherwise!!!

Go to fort drum, soldiers from Alaska go there for cold-weather training. -46 my first winter there in 2010
I’ve worked up in that part of ny in the winter before and it sucks!

-17 was lowest I have been in and that was during my 1.5 years in Iowa. I missed the brunt of the first winter but the second winter I was there -17. Honestly I'd go to the gym at 10 with shorts and T-shirt. But around 5 I'd put sweat pants and a jacket on. (Driving of course). I couldn't tell much difference between -5 and -17. At some point, it just doesn't matter except the wind. The wind goes right through you.

It was 75 degrees here Christmas Day. I loved it. Fuck that cold ass shit.

It got down to 5 degrees here for about two weeks back in the 80s. That ain’t 40 below, but it’s frikkin cold for Louisiana. That was the first time in recorded history that the Red River froze from bank to bank. We spent two weeks replacing fuel filters full of wax on trucks sitting in the middle of the road, because our fuel additive wasn’t made for that kind of cold.

In my youth I worked in commercial refer repair. Took care of ice cream warehouse -30. Could do nothing with gloves on so had to take them off. I think ten minutes was my limit before my hands ached so bad I could not use them. Then stepping out into 80-90 degree temps dressed like a eskimo, never felt so good. Recovery was like 20-30 minutes and then do it again.

So -40 is scary to me.
Haha freezers are good times. We install fire protection system in them and you can only last about 30 min. The man lifts also need to be swapped out about 30 min because the hydraulic systems start to slow down.

Yes, the joys of winter... just was out breaking ice off the drive way. Wondering why I haven’t moved yet....

I live in SW Washington now.
Winters are mild here.
I only put on a hoody when I’m up in the mountains shooting in the morning.

I've hunted all day in -15F. Thats about the coldest I've experienced. Sometimes in a blind and sometimes not. We stayed out all day. Up there that time of year with the shorter day light hours the temps didn't change much. You learned to degrease your firing pin!

I’ve snowboarded in Ontario in a -50c windchill. None of my buddies would come. A few winters ago I was out in Edmonton and it was -50c without the wind. Everyone at the hotel had to leave their cars running and give their keys to the concierge so he could run out and start them for 10 mins every half hour to keep the coolant from freezing. Most parking lots have electrical outlets for block heaters in that area.
The windshield in my rental Jeep cracked from the temp differential on that trip.

As good as that Mexican food was in Alamosa in October, I think I'll wait this out before heading back for more.
We get just below zero F around here usually for a night or two in winter.
I have duck hunted at -4 and it wasn't bad. Hot Hands on top of my toes inside the waders and another pair inside of my gloves. Moisture wicking under layer and multiple layers over.
Still, that -40 is unfathomable.
I guess when it gets back around 35 people start popping out in shorts and wife beaters around there.

Reactions: gunman_7
Worked at Killington when the high of the day was -42. Snowmakers saw -53. We had to sit at the top of the lift of the Killington base chair to send people into the lodge due to the start of frostbite. Had Women with no hat on and worse men with earrings that had already made black marks around the damm things. It was the first full week of December. I had 2 misfires and a hang fire using the #11 caps. That was when I earned about condensation and muzzleloaders.
You dehydrate so fast when it's that cold and every breathe not through a gaitor or mask hurts like hell

I've been skiing at Killington when it was -40 then with wind 20 below that. New Years day 1999 I think. No ski patrol anymore was go at your own risk. You could spit at concrete and it would shatter when it hit.

Reactions: 7mMike
I've been skiing at Killington when it was -40 then with wind 20 below that. New Years day 1999 I think. No ski patrol anymore was go at your own risk.
My last day working there was in 91-92 season. I don't remember that ever being the case. I do remember closing areas due to not enough people to cover the area the lifts served. I was there when the NE passage was still open. They closed that area due to robberies putting the ticket window people at serious risk. It was robbed 4 or 5 times in my tenure there.
As cold as it can get the people working there were well outfitted to combat the extremes. Northface was under the umbrella of the ownership at the time I was there. We beta tested all the great clothing they made. As patrollers and instructors, we were out there regardless.

Reactions: Crang
I've been skiing at Killington when it was -40 then with wind 20 below that. New Years day 1999 I think. No ski patrol anymore was go at your own risk. You could spit at concrete and it would shatter when it hit.
I lived in Vermont most of my life, and yup winters still suck lol.. This year has been on and off warm then cold. Get more ice then snow lately.

I lived in Vermont most of my life, and yup winters still suck lol.. This year has been on and off warm then cold. Get more ice then snow lately.
My folks still do and they enjoy it. I think dad loves telling me how cold it it is and how long it took to get into his shop that day. I'm fine living in 10-20 degree warmer weather.

My folks still do and they enjoy it. I think dad loves telling me how cold it it is and how long it took to get into his shop that day. I'm fine living in 10-20 degree warmer weather.
Yup, I can remover leaving equipment running at night up in derby on the power lines. Because Of fear they wouldn’t start in morning..

Reactions: ubettcha
Regail us please . Curious at the struggles and cultural differences .

The Russian geologists all had Siberian experience where most (all?) of their diamonds are mined and were completely in their element. They were shocked at the resources we had on hand, I guess in Siberia you don’t have an A-Star at your disposal and a Hercules dropping off food and fuel when you ask.

The South Africans I met we’re competent and professional, but were flat out fish out of water when winter hit. You didn’t see many come back from second tours.

I've been eyeballing job prospects in MT and WY, one of them in Cut Bank, MT. Claims to be the coldest spot in the United States. Can anyone corroborate? Coldest I've experienced was Utah and Austrian winters, though nothing close to -40 F.

I've been eyeballing job prospects in MT and WY, one of them in Cut Bank, MT. Claims to be the coldest spot in the United States. Can anyone corroborate? Coldest I've experienced was Utah and Austrian winters, though nothing close to -40 F.

January is one of the coldest months out West. Three towns in Minnesota, Colorado and Wyoming have historically claimed the title of "Ice Box of the Nation." But, there can only be one. International Falls, Minn., did legally secure the title in 2008, but the other two towns still unofficially claim it.

https://www.npr.org/player/embed/578172751/578172752

https://www.npr.org/player/embed/578172751/578172752
Copy. Yeah, that honorific isn't exactly a selling point to me. I don't mind cold, rain or snow. I thrive on the challenge, but that's next level shit.

Trains are a whole lot less fun to operate the colder it gets.
Got frostbite (mild) on my hands three times the last year I worked.
You are always holding on to steel artic mittens would be nice but you need dexterity to climb and hang on operate radio etc.
Throw in some 12 foot drifts and minus any degrees makes for a interesting day.
A .25 cent gasket can stop a train, the colder it gets the more they leak or fail, air hoses break tools and hoses are on the engine but first you have to find the problem and it's rarely near the engine usually about a mile back.
Riding the rear of a train shoving back in minus 25 almost zero visibility within a few feet of a dead train was not one of my favorite things, you fall off in the wrong area nobody is going to be there any time soon even in good weather.

• Wow
Reactions: Kamerad
@sirhrmechanic - nipples get hard eh?

Was laughing about that when running yesterday. It was 39F, so nice and warm, but in the shade and with a gentle 5 mph breeze enough to make em pop out.

Asked my running buddy how is it ones’s nipples stick out in the cold, but one’s pecker shrivels up and plays scared turtle?

Anyways. In AK I worked in the fish processing world, custom for small stuff and commercial level.
I had an easy job of taking in the custom orders, shipping as needed, and having stuff ready for pick-up if not shipped.
I also moved a lot of stuff from processing, to vacuum, to the flash freezer (-40), and back to a freezer to be boxed for shipping or pick-up.
That -40 freezer was something. Pain and aches like no other in ones hands. Learned to do everything with gloves on by end of day 1. Drove a fork lift in there a lot. Had to keep it running due to starting issues if turned off for very long. Being outside in humidity at 65, then -40 couldnt be good for it......

• Wow
Reactions: Kamerad
I knew a guy that used to be army stationed in ak. He told me they were cautioned to be careful with their rifles, that the barrel could easily break at very low temps. True?
No. Not the barrel. Anything rubber or plastic, yes.
Coldest I’ve seen was -55 actual. -10 feels really warm after that.

Read a good book on the Chosin Reservoir. Especially, the east side.

Nostrils definitely stick together but any more, it feels like a bottle of bourbon and a good fire.

Reactions: Aftermath
-40 feels like 40 degrees colder than it is in your freezer! God help you if there is also a stiff breeze!

I always get a kick out of you AmeriYank's 'complaining' about the cold. Especially when some of ya'll complain about "the northern area of North Dakota.

(All these comments do NOT apply to Alaskanians ;) )

Ya'll are still SOUTH of where I/we live, which at the moment is Winnipeg. I used to live in Northern B.C. Right now, here at home it is -30/-34 outside. Just a normal winter day here at home.

But let me tell you a story about living in Northern B.C. and the guys I worked with in the sawmill. For entertainment they would sled (that's "Ski-Doo'ing to you Southerners) the fresh powder that was famous on top of Morphee Mountain. The town was located relatively close to this particular mountain, so one "could" be on top of it in about an hour and a half of sledding. They all left when it was -35 and enjoyed their climb to the top. That is where the powder is the deepest, and the fresh'est. That is fun sledding in itself.

Anyone here ever heard of an "Inversion"? That is a temperature/air mass flip-flop where there is a huge 'bubble' of warm air from somewhere else that realistically 'shouldn't be there'. This particular day the boys experienced one. They were all in their layers and proper attire for the temps that they left at, and expected for the duration. All-the-sudden it got unbearably warm. They started pulling off layers, so that they wouldn't sweat. (smart and needed in these clime's) A few of the guys took advantage of the opportunity and went all-out.

(Brief explanation of "acclimating" for those who don't know. When one's body is used to/adapted to a particular climate, it functions properly and easily. This is it's "base-line" or "normal" status.) That being said, when one has been living in 'frigid temperatures' and working outside for a number of weeks and then all-the-sudden goes to a warm climate, there's something that has to shift)

A few of these guys stripped down to their underwear and boots, and were sledding around this mountaintop for well over an hour simply enjoying the ability to be in such deep, fresh powder, and do such in the incredible "rareness" of doing such "so warmly". (-5 to -10 is incredibly warm, when you're used to -35) Oh, they had a blast and laughed and had a 'great old time'. But then the sun started to fall, and with it the temps fell, and they started layering up again, and got ready for the ride home. Which was still a fair bit away, and "back to reality".

The boys who DIDN'T strip down to their underwear were telling us about it at the sawmill the next day. The boys who DID strip down, they weren't at work for a few days. The reason is, they were atop the mountain surrounded by all that fresh, white snow-powder, for such a long time (where they'd normally be covered in many layers otherwise) that with all their exposed skin (nearly all of it) was so BADLY SUNBURNED that these guys could barely move. I shit you not. None of them even thought about 'sunscreen', and who could blame them because when your 'regular attire' is a ski-doo suit the last thing your thinking of it 'tropical stuff'.

True Story.

Another one, that I've shared before, is 3 of us having to work together in -52 out on the log decks of the sawmill. It took the 3 of us well over 45 minutes to do a job that it would normally take only 1 of us, less than 5 minutes to do. This is simply because we had our own tools in our pockets to keep them warm for the 2-3 minutes of exposure, as well as our hands under our armpits because the damned parts were so small that gloves couldn't be worn.

Side note, but at -45 the logging trucks are shut down/receiving is closed simply because too many trailer axles break in half at temperatures colder than that. It had happened too many times, and drivers in those climes are worth more than the risk. I don't know anything about 'barrels breaking' but I do know about 'whole axles' shattering. Those trailers are 72' though, not highway trailers. That's a LOT of weight on them.

Enjoy your warm, balmy, tropical climates, and know that "your worst days" are still "our normals".... HA.