• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whats a good all purpose pack, not jus for rifles?

tlsmith22

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2008
ALABAMA
I have a gunslinger and an Operator pack already for rifles and other stuff. I am looking a pack that would b good for a range bag, or a laptop or just to carry some stuff to work in. Dont have to be camo, actually I would prefer it coyote color. Hydration would ba a plus. Im thinkn Camelbak, Badlands, VooDoo, 5.11 and other along those lines. Thanks guys

Re: Whats a good all purpose pack, not jus for rifles?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tlsmith22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a gunslinger and an Operator pack already for rifles and other stuff. I am looking a pack that would b good for a range bag, or a laptop or just to carry some stuff to work in. Dont have to be camo, actually I would prefer it coyote color. Hydration would ba a plus. Im thinkn Camelbak, Badlands, VooDoo, 5.11 and other along those lines. Thanks guys</div></div>

You're over your pm limit, pm me if interested. I have a 5.11 24hr Rush, good shape, couple extra pouches, price will be right....and it's coyote
smile.gif

Mysteryranch dragon slayer. I've used it as a range bag ever since I got it, a camelbak reservoir can be added. A laptop mite fit... Not sure? They also have a lighter duty version called snapdragon.

That Eagle looks pretty sweet, especially for the price, but the 5.11 has some nice bells and whistles for just a bit more. I'd have to go with the 5.11.

Mystery Ranch Longbow, with the nice frame, so you can switch it to a different mystery ranch pack. I also have the mystery ranch 6500 for longer trips. Mystery Ranch packs are top notch.

Kifaru

Look at TAD's grab bag for laptop type carry.

5.11 Rush 24 is pretty good, hauls all my range stuff, also works well as a tool bag, carry-on, hiking, light hunting or overnight pack. Lots of pockets, covered in MOLLE. Rides ok, would benefit from a waist belt if you were gonna load it heavy for a long trek.

Kifaru, but if they are too expensive, then look at Eagle Gear, and if you cannot afford them, save your money until you can because anything else is TRASH.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BALLISTIC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kifaru, but if they are too expensive, then look at Eagle Gear, and if you cannot afford them, save your money until you can because anything else is TRASH. </div></div>

Kifaru are nice but the don't have any pockets/organization the 5.11 has pockets everywhere, place for wet cloths, 4 ar mag pockets, on and on

Maxpedition is a nice pack as well

Have you looked at Camelbak? They have 4 fantastic models that could work for you:

-- TriZip ;
-- BFM ;
-- Talon ;
-- Linchpin ;

All four would make for a great pack for your needs/applications. They are very well made (in my opinion, more consistant & durable than current 5.11 production) and laid out. Each one also includes a 100oz hydration bladder.

Another pack to consider is the Granite Gear Special Mission Raid pack. It is from their "tactical" line & very well made. The only problem with them is locating inventory. I'm one of their dealers & haven't been able to source it since last June. Hopefully will have a few in stock soon...

Finally, take a look at the Spec-OPS T.H.E. 3-Day Assault Pack . It is made in the USA and has a great reputation for durability.
I'd be happy to provide further assistance if you have questions, etc.

Best of luck!
Ceylon
deltaoutdoorsman.com

Ceylon brings up a good point, my 5.11 is a few years old, I may have gotten lucky, maybe they've changed, its held up very well, to sub-zero temps, 120lbs of tools, and general abuse. I've read a few bad reviews on them lately, I don't think I'd buy one without seeing it due to that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ceylonc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally, take a look at the Spec-OPS T.H.E. 3-Day Assault Pack . It is made in the USA and has a great reputation for durability.
</div></div>

If you're not partial to a specific color, the pack Ceylonc mentioned is $ 100,- off in foliage green at the moment.
Check out Spec.-Ops.

Take a look at the Eberlestock Fac Trak.

Nice 3 day pack.

Another vote for Kifaru. I have owned lesser packs and they just don't compare to the quality. It's also 100% made in the USA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finbox</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BALLISTIC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kifaru, but if they are too expensive, then look at Eagle Gear, and if you cannot afford them, save your money until you can because anything else is TRASH. </div></div>

Kifaru are nice but the don't have any pockets/organization the 5.11 has pockets everywhere, place for wet cloths, 4 ar mag pockets, on and on

Maxpedition is a nice pack as well </div></div>

Kifaru uses a modular approach. The base pack typically only has a few pockets, but they have more pocket and organization options then any pack I have seen. There are plenty of attachment points to add as many pockets or pouches inside and outside the pack as you want. For example:

http://www.kifaru.net/tacticalpockets.html

http://www.kifaru.net/organizer.html

organ_mainweb.jpg

My vote goes to the Spec Ops 3 day. Large pockets are spacious, small pockets have small zippered compartments, MOLLE on the front, compression straps, removable belt, etc etc

Maxpedition Gearslinger series. I like the Kodiak. They have coyote!
Website

-T

fastpak from TAD, Gearslinger from Maxpedition, and SO-Tech bags

Kifaru for me too, they're only about 2 miles from me so i went over and met them before I ordered. To me it wasn't all that more expensive than other options, it's good gear.

Camelbak BFM, I own 3 of them.
Mine has been to Peru in the Amazon Jungle twice in 2 seperate trips.
If you cinch it down you can use it as a carry on @ the Airport.

FWIW

Take a look at the LBT-1476 London Bridge Trading. Great 3-day pack. Hyrdation pocket, tough as nails. I have one that I carried on deployment and many a day on the hiking trail.Comfortable with lots of room. Have got years of service out of it and still going.It makes a great range pack also. Plus its MADE IN THE USA!!
I like the 5.11 line of gear but, not sure of the country of orgin? China?

Maxpedition bags are great. They are near indestructible, albeit a bit on the pricy side. The do come in many different colors and in my experience, will haul whatever your can stretch the zippers around. The best part is that whenever you tire of the bag, you can sell the bag on Ebay and still recoup a good deal of what you paid for it....reminds me of investing in a quality firearm - they keep their value over time.

Rush 72 5:11 works for about everything.
They are not expensive, $150.00 or so and have lifetime warranty on zippers.
They come in desert tan, od green, black and even multicam.
The long side pockets are great for spotting scopes, bipods whatever.
They even have a "glasses" compartment that is felt lined on top.
And a handy drop down carry all area for throwing in a folding chair, small game animal, midget, whatever you can think of.
Really though of it all on this one.
http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/Backpacks/RUSH-72-Backpack.html

The Kelty MAP 3500 and Kelty Strike 3500 are two awesome packs. I own both and when they need to be replaced I will buy another of the same.

They are great low profile packs, tough in all the right places, common sense design with a great suspension system for heavier loads (30lbs).

I have the Rush 24 pack from 5.11, and I use it as a range bag, a carry-on when traveling, and I can get enought clothes and stuff in it for a weekend or three day trip.

The bag is very well put together, it has a lot of well placed pockets, a spot for a hydration bladder, the yoke style backpack is very comfortable and it has molle everywhere for any additional accessories.

I just ordered a Goruck GR1.

They seem to be amazing bags. This will be for use on campus and climbing/adventuring day bag, not tactical at all, but the MOLLE on front and inside will help with that, and it seems to be totally bulletproof. full report when i get mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Eagle A-III MOLLE </div></div>

Have to agree on the Eagle A-III. I have one and like it for a generic all purpose pack. Plus you can still get them for $80 in foliage or black here. If your are not absolutely set on tan then this a good deal.

I like my speck ops "the pack" enough that i own 3. Good stuff for everything. Those eagle packs are nice too when deeply discounted.

A Maxpedition Condor II is my EDC. It has been working great for about 3 years now and is not babied. I have a compact IFAK tear off and two 6X6 general purpose pouches, all made by John Willis of original S.O.E. in Tennessee Molle'd on the sides.

You can find the pack for less than $100 shipped and they work well. I admit they are not as well built at the Kifaru for example but also not $300 per unit.

This thread should have ended with the first response. Eagle AIII and DONE
smile.gif

My vote goes for a Kifaru X-Ray. It's a couple week wait but worth it. Mine has been all over the place and still looks pretty new. I've got a TAD Fastpack, not really feeling it but can't put my finger on why.