• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

whats a good press for newbr?

s002wjh

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2013
ohio
im thinking of lee classic turrent or hornady LNL single stage? seem both has good review. the turrent allow me to do volume load and single stage precision load, correct?
try limit to within $300 ish for start.

You don't say what you'll be reloading, nor how much, and it does make a difference.

If you are doing all or mostly pistol (~200-400 count batches), the Lee Turret is the choice that fits your budget.

If you are doing rifle (and even small batches of pistol) I'd advise going with the single stage press. It will make more consistent ammo because there is no slop/movement at the toolhead/die among other things. While you won't see the effect at 7yds, you may well notice it at 100 yards or more. And if you stay with the hobby, you will always find a use for a single stage press.

Yes, the Lee Turret can be operated as a single stage press. But it has the very same drawbacks in that mode that it has when operated as a turret.

Every reloaded needs a single stage press. I started with the hornady lnl but if I could start over I'd get a rock chucker. The quick change is ok but you need a set of bushings for every caliber.

thanks. if i stay reloading, i will eventually get a AP press. i plan to load 45,223,308 for now. i don't shoot much(about 100rd per range,2 range per month), but i'm also busy with other things. 45/223 is for plinking, so accuracy is not a big issue, 308 i do want to do both plinking and matching grade, and i might eventually switch to 260/6.5

i thought the lee classic turrent has good review, and can do volume reload and kind act as single stage for at least decent precision load? am i wrong? i could always get a single stage eventually.

My first and only press is a used Dillon RL550B, which I've now owned for right around the past two decades. Getting one used allowed me to afford an outstanding implement, and I've never felt any need to do anything to it beyond installing Strong Mounts and a Bullet Tray.

If one thinks about it, the RL550B can do all the things one might wish to with a single stage, yet also has the ability to function as a fully progressive loading press. I recently bought a Hornady automatic powder dispenser, and this has eliminated the need to check-weigh each charge the Dillon powder measure drops. Cuts overall handloading time about in half without needing to sacrifice verified .1gr charge weight compliance.

The interchange able toolheads allow one to set up their dies for a specific rifle once, and remain assured that this die setup will not need repeating every succeeding time one switches back to loading for that rifle.

Not the cheapest route, but a reliable one for the serous handloader.

Greg

Last edited:
Form follows function. Figure out what you are going to do than make a decision.

Single stage- easier- one operation at a time- designed primarily for small bunch stuff (less than 200)

Turret- complex- performs 4-5 operations at once- not as precise on powder throw- designed for larger batch 400-100

I have both. I started turret actually because I was doing 45 (straight wall and low pressure makes it easier). I than got into rifle reloading.

You can not go wrong with Hornady, RCBS, and Dillon.

i thought the Dillon RL550B is a semi-ap press, as it doesn't has the auto index, am i wrong?

What are these drawbacks in your opinion?
Progressives have SOME slop/movement of the toolhead, except the Hornady LnL AP ** (no toolhead) and perhaps the Dillon 1050 (never checked it out). The quality Progressives take some steps to reduce or compensate for it. But the design of the Lee turret allows much more play than most. Unlike Progressives, since only one die is in use at a time the upward pressure of the ram tilts the toolhead/die towards the center of the toolhead. (In the extreme, think banana-shaped cartridges.)

The Lee powder measure is acclaimed by some for accuracy with certain powders/loads, but most people find (insert-brand-name-here) Powder Measures are more accurate, easier to use, and spill/spit less powder.

Many people can get the Lee on-press primer system running smoothly, but many more give up and hand prime.

Having said all that, the Lee Turret is where I started and it certainly produces ammo lol. When I wanted precision rifle rounds and couldn't maintain tolerances, I went to a single stage press. When I needed higher throughput for pistol, I went to a Progressive. The Lee Turret is not a bad starting point, and for many its not a bad ending point either.

I mentioned that the Lee Turret had the same drawbacks in turret or single-stage mode because OP wanted to use ss mode tomake precision ammo on the turret. If his concept of precision ammo includes concentricity and consistent adherence to OAL, etc . . . he isn't going to be happy with a Lee Turret. Better to start with a single stage.

** TBF, the LnL AP can develop some slop in the bushing, which is corrected by replacement, or by shim.

Lee Classic Cast Breech Lock Single Stage Press

I got this to start with last year, and I've been very happy. Got it on sale for a little under what it's priced at now, and I chucked out the Lee Breech Lock adapter and screwed in a Hornady Lock-n-Load adapter (both the Hornady and Lee bushings are the same outer dimensions, so they're compatible). I had originally planned to get a Hornady progressive for loading large quantities of AR ammo, but I never ended up making the move.

The Lee is cheap, but fully functional. Using the bushing adapter gave me repeatable tolerances when I swapped dies in and out (I load 4 different calibers, so I swap out dies often).

I have a lee turret and it has worked great. Though I am upgrading to a 550b for my plunking rounds since my reloading has turned into for me and my dad.

The lee has worked great. I load my "match" ammo with it and the oal stays within +/- .03 90% of the time. But I'm measuring off the tip so I definitely think of I measured off the ogive it would be spot on.

I use my turret as a single stage most of the time. But it is nice to be able to seat then crimp when I do rounds that require it. I like the fact I can size rotate and Bell the mouth for pistol and some rifle (45/70) with a simple turn of the turret instead of removing dies.

If you get a lee turret, get the "classic" one. I started reloading with the regular turret, and it pissed me off how when decapping the primers fly all over the damn place. You have to cut a spray can top and get it to fit at the base of the ram to catch them, and it still doesn't work all the time. The classic at least has the hollow ram and the spent primer tube so you can catch your spent primers instead of making a damn mess.

I started with a Hornady LNL single stage. Its nice for doing small batches (<50) of rifle rounds. It get to be pretty tedious and tiresome to do pistol brass, and I can only manage to do around 100 before getting tired of it.

Started out with a RCBS Rockchucker 12 years ago or so.
Have also had a K&M arbor press, T 7, Big Boss and a CO AX, all witch i don't own anymore.
And tried a few other presses over the years.
Now i have a Harrels Precision Turret Press, a 21 st centruy Hydro Bullet Seater and a Turban cnc Heavy Prazipress.
Am very satisfied with the ones i have and am not going to purchase another one again. If i were going to load a lot of pistol ammo i'd get a progressive though.

If your looking for a turret press i can highly recommend the Harrels precision model, it's a high quality unit, very nicely machined and with no slop, it's also fairly lightweight and easy to move around.
It is not the best at FL sizing very large cases though, a T 7 have more leverage, and have a 7 hole turret, but i prefer the Harrels for my needs, neither do i need 7 stations for anything. And it does seem like a higher quality product but have not been able to find any difference in performance.
The Lee Classic turret i have never tried to be honest.