• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whats a realistic expectation?

caddokiller

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2011
texas
When my dad died 15 years ago he left me a Remington 700 6mm bdl. Its was his baby! So now I have it and its my most prized possession. But last year it completely lost all accuracy. I took it to S and S precision and they said the barrel is copper fouled to the point of being useless anymore. So I am going to replace the barrel with a shilen chrome moly #3, have action trued and squared while he is doing it and have it bedded. What kind of groups should I expect this rifle to produce? I have never had anything except stock guns before. Thanks and God Bless

Ohh it varies and no one can say. Safe bet is 1 moa. Anything done to the receiver previously? No doubt folks will show up saying they have this and that and folks tend to stretch the truth. You can have 2 or 3 shot strings that are .5" or even .25" and people do that and then ignore the rest and say they have a .25" gun despite the entire print being 1.5" moa.

That is the key, shoot a 10 shot group and count every last one and it is what it is. Post it up. Sounds like your in for some fun and best of luck!

If I had a rifle rebarreled and it only shot moa it would be going back for them to fix their screw up... heck, once I have bedded my factory Remingtons, everyone was shooting under moa. A good smith that knows what he is doing and a little load devolvement by you the shooter with a firm foundation in the fundamentals should be printing 5-10 round groups around half moa at 100 yards. But... have you tried to remove the copper in the barrel? Copper will come out and provided the throat is still good, removing it should resolve the problem.

If you have the rifle rebarreled, things I have noticed over a factory Remington barrel are: higher velocity with tighter extreme spreads, easier cleaning, better accuracy to the point that you may have an issue finding a load the gun likes at 100 yards as they all will shoot tight and require load tuning at 300 yards or farther.

It's been my experience that a properly tuned M700 fitted with a quality barrel will perform well inside of a half minute of angle with decent ammunition.

Being balls deep in our group buy has pretty much validated this in my mind as gospel now that we've done over a couple hundred of them in such a short time span. The feedback speaks for itself.

Take your stuff to a well established smith and rest easy. It'll run the numbers if you do your part.

C.

It's been my experience that a properly tuned M700 fitted with a quality barrel will perform well inside of a half minute of angle with decent ammunition.

Being balls deep in our group buy has pretty much validated this in my mind as gospel now that we've done over a couple hundred of them in such a short time span. The feedback speaks for itself.

Take your stuff to a well established smith and rest easy. It'll run the numbers if you do your part.

C.

^^this.. they built my 6.5 and i'm not gonna say it "shoots 1/2 moa all day long". with me still learning the fundamentals and running hand loads loaded to the hornady factory loads. most of my groups so far have been around the 1/2moa mark. with more practice time and after deer season is over i'll start developing some loads, I bet i'll be shooting much better than I hoped for.

good luck with it

Man... I wonder why all those competition shooters with fancy ass F-class gear, meticulous hand loads with 32" barrels and mega dollar single load receivers and struggle to hit the .5" xring 20 times? The NRA record is 17 at 300 yds I think. Sounds like this forum in general is filled with potential world record holders.

I agree with Niles Coyote also, the copper WILL come out. Not sure sure you "need" a barrel, rather a good soaking and cleaning. The idea that there is too much copper is kinda dubious. A new barrel WILL shoot better than the factory barrel though so best of luck.

Man... I wonder why all those competition shooters with fancy ass F-class gear, meticulous hand loads with 32" barrels and mega dollar single load receivers and struggle to hit the .5" xring 20 times? The NRA record is 17 at 300 yds I think. Sounds like this forum in general is filled with potential world record holders.

.5" at 300 yards is ~0.17moa... or 1/3rd the size of the 0.5moa mentioned above. 1/2moa isn't exactly world record material. Slight difference.

I had a new shooter put 9 shots under 1/2" @ 100y with my custom 308 the first time she ever shot a centerfire (she had one flyer which threw the group to 0.8"). Her prior shooting experience was 30 shots with a 17hmr about half hour before hand.

Last edited:
To clarify, when I say moa or a division there of, I am talking 100-200 yard group size where the weight of the group size is more on rifle/system being used than 300 yards+ where environmental factors and the shooters ability to see and account for them take place. I will be the first in line to say I can’t read wind to the half moa level, more like 2 moa+ and it’s not uncommon for me to see groups on the 1000 yard line that are 1.5-2.5 moa wide but the vertical dispersion is .5-.75 moa tall. I use the latter measurement to gauge my progress at doping the wind conditions as the vertical measurement is closer to the rifle and ammo’s true ability.

But yes, give that barrel a good copper soaking unless you have your heart set on a new barrel. Did the smith use a bore scope to come to this conclusion? Or just look at it with a flash light while you told them of the probelm. "the barrel is copper fouled to the point of being useless". just sounds suspect to me... like a sales pitch.

Most guns will shoot 1/2 to 3/4 moa if the shooter and loader know what they are doing. The biggest problem is people use the wrong bullet for the twist in their rifle. People love to shoot fast. Most factory rifles are set up to shoot lighter bullets. People love to brag about speed. Then the read about B.C. and start loading a heavy load. It does not work. Before you rebarrel it, ask you self if your shooting the right twist for the barrel. Did you change your dads favorite load. If you do rebarrel it make sure you know what bullet weight your wanting to shoot. Do not find what bullet you want to shoot, you may have to change. I have two guns with the same barrels, they are set up the same. One loves Amax on Loves SMK. So to answer your question its going to shoot as well as how much time do you spend on shooting techniques and how much time do you dedicate to reloading. Good luck and let us know. Dropinlead, their are a lot of shooters on this sight that know what they are doing. The world record is held at 1000 yards for a group by a member on here. So yes their are world class shooters on here.