• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What's my initial setup cost for .308?

zeke013

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I want to build a reloading bench.

True bench aside, what's the cost (ballpark) of the materials I need to get up an running?

You can skip the brass, powder, primer and bullets.

What's the cost of the instruments? (I don't need a list of items - just curious what the outlay will be.)

Thanks!

Re: What's my initial setup cost for .308?

I would just buy the RCBS kit. people will argue it is cheaper to buy each piece, but the kit is VERY complete and all of the equipment is very accurate. Later down the road you can get a digital scale/dispenser if you want. I have a buddy that has loaded probably a thousand rounds of 223 with just the components of the RCBS kit. I am a big fan of the Lee Deluxe dies, they cost $35 a set. Here is the link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/646599/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-single-stage-press-master-kit

Wow - is that really all I'd need to get started?

Excellent.

If you intend to be serious about loading, I'd buy the good stuff up front. Otherwise, you'll end up buying twice.

It can be done for $500, and really done nice for $1k.

Lee stuff "works", but you can do a lot better. $160 gets you their FLS, bushing/bump die with bushings, and the ultra mic seater. This set is all you will EVER need.

There is a 40% off group buy for redding gear if you're keen. Checkout under groupbuys pinkgunsrsilly is running it.

You can buy a kit for around 350 and a set of dies and tumbler for another 50-100. Somewhere in the 400-500 range will get you up and running.

Rich

If you want to see pretty much the extreme in buying all the best tools and the best cases, see my long posting:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2884679

which shows the what, why, and how as best as I could deduce it after reading Geln Zediker's book (Competition Reloading) and Tony Boyer's book (The Book of Rifle Accuracy, plus MANY postings here and elsehwere. Both of these authors are absolutely anal, and both WIN a lot in competition. Boyer is totally focused on benchrest, but that doesn't matter, as you will see if you get his book. And by the way, BOTH these guys full length size, not neck size, and both like sizing dies with neck sizing bushing inserts.

There is no need to go as high quality and detail oriented as I am propsoing to do, but the explanations I included in the posting at least let you know why I did what i did.

I have reloaded for 30 years, but this is the first time I intend to do it very slowly and very precisely.

By the way, my total outlay did not include the RCBS Chargemaster, and Mitutoyo digital calipers and micrometer (which I already had). I figure a full blown setup like I actually have would cost about $2000 if starting from scratch. Real purists go also for a Prometheus scale/dispenser, which I did not (at least yet).

Jim G

First, buy a good reloading book, and read it first.

I would recommend either RCBS or Hornady kits, about $320.00

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/646599/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-single-stage-press-master-kit

You'll need a tumbler , on the cheap, I'd say Lyman or Frankford arsenal, $40.00 and up.

And a trimmer $60.00 and up.

I like Hornady's die set. Only because I like the bullet seating stem. And, honestly, my economical (Hornady) die sets put together 1/2 MOA loads, and frankly, that is better than I shoot. On top of which, I don't think most factory barreled rifles can appreciate the difference in more economical dies, or very expensive die sets.

Also a dial caliper.

And don't forget a bullet puller!

You could get by cheaper, or as suggested above, spend alot more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zeke013</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow - is that really all I'd need to get started?

Excellent. </div></div>

That and a set of dies, and shell holders for your caliber.

I would also pick up a digital scale and double check what your powder measurer throws.

I was shooting sub MOA with Hornady Match 68 grain .223 through a varmint AR-15 with a $450 investment in reloading equipment. And with that set up, I loaded 3K of M193 (that was ten rounds, 1.3" at 100) and 2K of 9mm ball that my Glocks loved. I wasn't loading any better than factory TAP but was learning alot bulk loading range ammo and some "target" ammo.

You have to start somewhere. (This does not mean progressive presses). Just buy once. Get the best equipment you can afford for each tool. When you do go to load for precision at longer ranges, you will already have the reloading gear in hand and wont have to retool to get quality reloads.

$1,000+ is what you will need to precision load IMHO. You can get some better than factory ammo loaded with a $500 budget, but will be lacking some of the tools to dial in LR ammo.

I'm still lacking a few tools but am going out to ladder test a 7MM RM with 180 grain VDLs on Sunday. I am not set up for 1,000 yards but I'm slowly getting there. I'm young and willing to learn all I can. And with slowly collecting the reloading gear (and guns) will get to the 1K yard mark before long. Sunday will be a parallel ladder test, and some 500 yard practice.
smile.gif

Finally got my act together. Ended up with a Dillon 550b set from Enos. We'll see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zeke013</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Finally got my act together. Ended up with a Dillon 550b set from Enos. We'll see. </div></div>

If you are shooting a precision bolt gun at ranges past 600 yards I can highly recommend Whidden Gunworks's and UniqueTek bits for the Dillon 550 press. The Whidden CNC'd floating tool head with UniqueTek's clamping system did wonders for my finished ammunition.

If you have not seen it check out this thread: .308 Precision on dillon 550? It has a lot of very good info how some people are using their Dillon 550s as a high precision single stage press just with multiple positions. Some even claim to use them as progressives and get good results.

dillion550btoolhead.jpg