• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's really with the original (non-OCD) Alpha brass?

earthquake

Area Man
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    I have a bunch of this stuff and ran it in Proof pre-fits pretty well. Brass now has 8+ firings on it and doesn't work any more. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this issue.

I have annealed it on an AMP after every firing.

At a match in February though, I had such a hard time closing the bolt on most of the rounds, and extracting them, I withdrew from the match. I was fighting the gun every round. That was with an old Proof prefit I had ran in 2020.

Got me a new PVA barrel and they use Lapua reamers. I bumped the hell out of this brass thinking they were too long. Seated the bullets with an extra long jump. Still had issues at the last match. Though not nearly as bad as with the Proof barrel.

6-Dasher
    Original Alpha brass 8+ firings
    Proof prefit from my 2020 season
    SAC full-length sizing die.

What happened to the old Alpha stuff that caused them to switch to OCD, and is this what I'm experiencing now? I just want the skinny, so I can figure out if I need to go back to Lapua brass or Redding dies again. Thanks!

Sincerely,
    Stumped

Last edited:
    Reactions: Lynn313
    I have had good look with my Alpha GT bras non OCD but that being said if Lapua is available go with Lapua.

It also depends on how old your brass is. When they first introduced dasher brass lots of people had problems with it. Don’t know about the newer stuff.

It’s probably the base but I’ve also heard that alpha is thicker so what are your fired and sized and seated dimensions? Necks haven’t gotten fat or king have they?

I’ve fought used brass and cycling issues before. I had a old timer gun smith tell me that a new barrel deserves new brass.
    It’s probably the base, set your die up for a hard cam over and see if it improves. If not, then you have to make a decision of a better fitting die/chamber match up or new brass.

Reactions: Archer0826
    Regardless of what claims or how defensive any alpha fans get, gen 1 dasher and gt brass was a problem in a lot of rifles.

I never sent mine off for hardness testing, but I’m confident it was likely soft.

The OCD brass is billed as an upgrade (and it is) but was *likely* to combat the issues people saw. Coincidentally it was released in dasher and Gt first. Which were the two that most complained about.

I had extraction issues with both dasher and gt gen 1. And I know guys that had enough issues they ended up ordering a reamer with a larger body because they had heavily invested in the brass.

The OCD from all reports is very, very good. I have 500 pcs of gt ocd I’ll be testing now. But I’m confident it will be fine.

To be clear, I had issues in brand new barrels and virgin brass. With standard dasher reamer and the gap 6gt spec’d reamer.

Even when loaded very mild.

Lapua dasher and Hornady 6gt ran perfectly fine in all the same barrels the alpha gen 1 did not.

Thanks for the replies so far.

In setting up my press and die, it's as far down as it can get, meaning, the base of the press holding the shell casing touches the bottom of the die, so I can't resize it any more. Wouldn't the base of the case be resizing properly then? I guess I don't understand how I could size the base any more than it is since there's nowhere else for the ram to go?

So I gather that the original Alpha dasher brass was/is soft or the cases base is not the same size as Lapua brass bases and therein lies my problem fitting it in a Lapua chamber?

Were Proof prefit steel barrels cut with sloppy chambers to accommodate all the newer brands of Dasher brass, and now the brass is so stretched it won't fit any more?

I'm trying to recall if in 2020 when I originally ran this proof barrel I was using a Redding FL die. Now I'm using a SAC FL die.

Just because one die and chamber combination works for awhile doesn’t mean that all dies and chambers are the same.
    Alpha brass has its own reamer for a reason.
    You need to compare your actual measurements between the two to get the actual difference.

Last edited:
    Reactions: earthquake
    I got some of the first batches of 308 and 6.5 creed brass just before it was getting sent out to the public. It was very consistent, and in a couple of chambers it worked well, and in others it had heavy bolt lift with very minimal charge weights and velocities. Their dasher brass had similar issues. From what I could tell the case heads were simply too “soft” and some had too little clearance for the chamber. I ended up just designing my own reamer for the non ocd dasher brass with a little extra clearance at the case head.

Reactions: earthquake
    I think it’s a two fold problem for you. Gen 1 brass was a bit soft and thin in the base area and PVA barrels typically have to much chamfer and that leads to unsupported case head issues

Reloading issue.

How do you get to a match without testing your ammo to make sure it feeds? Every single case should at least be ran through a wilson case gauge to make sure its within headspace and not oversized.

Also, avoid PVA.

Consider this a learning experience.

If you aren't at least batch testing your rounds to make sure they chamber and extract then you are doing something wrong.

Spend how many hours reloading? How many hundreds in match fees and travel? Hours of driving?

Just to show up and have an ammo issue that is EASILY preventable. A small ammount of due dillegence will prevent this from happening.

This is shooting and reloading 101 stuff. It should never happen unless you are being lazy.

Again, Learning experience.

If you aren't at least batch testing your rounds to make sure they chamber and extract then you are doing something wrong.

Spend how many hours reloading? How many hundreds in match fees and travel? Hours of driving?

Just to show up and have an ammo issue that is EASILY preventable. A small ammount of due dillegence will prevent this from happening.

This is shooting and reloading 101 stuff. It should never happen unless you are being lazy.

Again, Learning experience.

You apparently just like pretending you know things (book max, sd/es, etc etc) and then disappearing from the conversation when you’re educated.

So, here’s your education on this matter.

More than a couple have shot the gen 1 brass before a match ( “batch” tested if you will) and then run into extraction problems that due to simple variance didn’t show up prior. Even at very mild/light loads.

So, this is where you pick between your usual courses of action:

- insult me and claim you know things

- never post in this thread again as you’ve yet again shown very little actual knowledge of the subject

You apparently just like pretending you know things (book max, sd/es, etc etc) and then disappearing from the conversation when you’re educated.

So, here’s your education on this matter.

More than a couple have shot the gen 1 brass before a match ( “batch” tested if you will) and then run into extraction problems that due to simple variance didn’t show up prior. Even at every mild/light loads.

So, this is where you pick between your usual courses of action:

- insult me and claim you know things

- never post in this thread again as you’ve yet again shown very little actual knowledge of the subject
    LOL good to know I am living rent free in your head.

2 of the best shooters in the nation fucked up last weekend. Both former PRS national Champions who couldn't get their reloads right and had to pull out a few hours into a 2 day match because their "loads were too hot". Who knew water increased chamber pressure right? Everyone no matter how many trophies or podcasts they have is not immune from doing dumb shit.

Its cheap insurance to check every round before going to a match. There are multiple ways this can be tested but since I have never have failure to chamber, failure to extract or bolt/pressure issues (and yes I am using alpha brass) because i take that extra step that many don't. Maybe others could learn from this.

I find it completely retarded to spend umteen hours reloading, driving, spending all this money to not ensure you have ammo that runs flawless at the match. Its mind numbingly easy to prevent. If something is not working or is wrong, stop and diagnose it. Its common sense.

If you are properly resizing and testing, how can you have chambering issues at the match? Please explain this to me. This is something you test for BEFORE you pack your ammo away.

Extraction is a whole different issue, but he said he is having trouble chambering issues first.

Last edited:
    LOL good to know I am living rent free in your head.

2 of the best shooters in the nation fucked up last weekend. Both former PRS national Champions who couldn't get their reloads right and had to pull out a few hours into a 2 day match because their "loads were too hot". Who knew water increased chamber pressure right? Everyone no matter how many trophies or podcasts they have is not immune from doing dumb shit.

Its cheap insurance to check every round before going to a match. There are multiple ways this can be tested but since I have never have failure to chamber, failure to extract or bolt/pressure issues (and yes I am using alpha brass) because i take that extra step than many don't. Maybe others could learn from this.

I find it completley retarded to spend umteen hours reloading, driving, spending all this money to not ensure you have ammo that runs flawless at the match. Its mind numbingly easy to prevent. If something is not working or is wrong, stop and diagnoss it. Its common sense.

If you are properly resizing and testing, how can you have chambering issues at the match? Please explain this to me. This is something you test for BEFORE you pack your ammo away.

Extraction is a whole different issue, but he said he is having trouble chambering issues first.

Just asking how you can have issues even when you shot some rounds shows how little you actually know.

Pretty simple when soft brass (I’m not speaking solely on alpha).

If you don’t know you have soft brass (99% won’t know until the problem arrises) then you won’t be looking for it. As in, you won’t be checking every round.

Unless you fires a significant amount of rounds before a match, it’s extremely easy to be a victim of simple variance and not run across the brass with a bulged body or something else.

Even more so when it’s say 10 or 20% of your brass that exhibits the problem. It only takes a round or three per stage or a round or three on a few stages a match to screw up the entire day.

Less posting, more shooting and experience for you. Each time you post, you show how little you actually understand about the how and why behind all this.

Just asking how you can have issues even when you shot some rounds shows how little you actually know.

Pretty simple when soft brass (I’m not speaking solely on alpha).

If you don’t know you have soft brass (99% won’t know until the problem arrises) then you won’t be looking for it. As in, you won’t be checking every round.

Unless you fires a significant amount of rounds before a match, it’s extremely easy to be a victim of simple variance and not run across the brass with a bulged body or something else.

Even more so when it’s say 10 or 20% of your brass that exhibits the problem. It only takes a round or three per stage or a round or three on a few stages a match to screw up the entire day.

Less posting, more shooting and experience for you. Each time you post, you show how little you actually understand about the how and why behind all this.
    I like how you just gloss over everything and do not address anything I said. Instead of saying, yea that's a good point you just skip ahead to the second issue.

Did the Brass magically get soft from when he reloaded it to when he shot it? Did it chamber, load and extract fine at home but not at the range? Explain this to me.

I don't think I stuttered. Here let me repeat exactly what was said:

"If you are properly resizing and testing, how can you have chambering issues at the match? Please explain this to me. This is something you test for BEFORE you pack your ammo away."

So Again, explain how the rounds chamber and function fine at home but magically decided to stop chambering at the match? Dirty gun? Something broke? The ammo is not morphing into something out durring a car ride.

It is a simple question.

Reactions: lloydx2
    pretty sure they're both linked to soft brass...which is how the brass arrives in it's nice $5 100 round plastic box
    We do not know what. Explain how soft brass can chamber fine and then not chamber fine. These are separate issues and OP claims he bumped the piss out of his brass and clearly did not check his ammo before trying to shoot it.

Reactions: lloydx2
    We do not know what. Explain how soft brass can chamber fine and then not chamber fine. These are separate issues and OP claims he bumped the piss out of his brass and clearly did not check his ammo before trying to shoot it.
    go measure some webs and slightly above on subsequent firings and see how you have to drop powder charges lower and lower and it continues to have FTE issues

you shouldnt have to small base brass for a bolt gun just to shoot 2 grains below max and be able to extract brass

Last edited:
    As I’ve said, you can have bulged body and not catch it unless you’re checking every single round.

Which shouldn’t be needed. If it is needed the answer is new or better brass. Not inspecting junk. The OCD stuff should be good to go.

I’m not going to check 15,000 pieces of brass I shoot a year and the thousands more that’s loaded for customers.

The OP likely has a combination of stacking problems (different chamber, soft brass, etc). What he doesn’t need is the most recent local yahoo who crashes every thread with “you’re stupid” at the same time spouting questionable at at times blatantly wrong information.

It takes 3 seconds to drop a round into a Wilson case guage. It does the following.

1. Proves your round will fit in a SAMII chamber. This is the first indicator your brass will chamber.
    2. Visually see headspace. You can see min, max and in between. This also lets you know you are actually bumping your brass and not getting bad reads on the comparator. Seen it happen with junky hornady tools that are all over the place.

If everything is good there, grab 10 random rounds from batch, load up a magazine, and run them through your gun. They should feed, chamber and extract. Since you aren't jamming them, you don't have to worry about setback as long as you have at least .001 of neck tension.

This takes almost no time and is cheap insurance that your ammo will atleast chamber smoothy when you need it. Everything else is secondary issues that come AFTER taking care of this.

If you can't be bothered to take the minuscule time to check precision rifle loads before going to a match, then you deserve whatever you get. Its too easy to not do it.

It takes 3 seconds to drop a round into a Wilson case guage. It does the following.

1. Proves your round will fit in a SAMII chamber. This is the first indicator your brass will chamber.
    2. Visually see headspace. You can see min, max and in between. This also lets you know you are actually bumping your brass and not getting bad reads on the comparator. Seen it happen with junky hornady tools that are all over the place.

If everything is good there, grab 10 random rounds from batch, load up a magazine, and run them through your gun. They should feed, chamber and extract. Since you aren't jamming them, you don't have to worry about setback as long as you have at least .001 of neck tension.

This takes almost no time and is cheap insurance that your ammo will atleast chamber smoothy when you need it. Everything else is secondary issues that come AFTER taking care of this.

If you can't be bothered to take the minuscule time to check precision rifle loads before going to a match, then you deserve whatever you get. Its too easy to not do it.
    You're missing the biggest problem with their soft brass.

And it has nothing to do with the shoulder

You're missing the biggest problem with their soft brass.

And it has nothing to do with the shoulder
    I am not missing anything. It it like talking to a brick wall in here.

They are seperate issues. If you are properly sizing and checking your loads, you would know something is wrong BEFORE you are at the match. Now the brass may be soft and causing other issues, but you would see/feel/measure sizing issues be it soft brass, bad sizing, bad chamber job, dirty gun or any other dozen issues that would cause chambering issues.

The point is, If you are doing what you SHOULD be doing, this issue would have been identified if that is what is causing it.

There are hundreds of variables at play. You have to isolate them to get to the root cause. Saying soft brass is the reason he is having chambering can only be done after ruling out the other issues.

This is why I explained what needs to be done to help prevent or atleast identify issues before its too late.

Jesus. I leave for a day and this thread goes haywire!

Anyway, I do test random samples with case gauges. I also test chamber the brass after I resize it. Do I chamber test all 275 rounds I usually take to matches? No! In 8 years of shooting these matches, not once have I ever done that. And not once have I ever had this issue.

It's funny you tell me to avoid @bohem as he has chambered all the barrels I've had success with since 2016. I was talking to him today about this. It was the Proof barrel that I had issues with in February. Josh's barrel worked much better last week in Texas.

I bought a bunch of Lapua last weekend. I'll give it a go and report back. Will I chamber check all 580 pieces? No.

Last edited:
    I trashed 500pcs of virgin/1x fired Gen 1 25 Creed brass. It was an absolute dumpster fire. Case head/web expansion, soft to the point that I couldn’t resize/seat a bullet without severely flaring the case mouth, obliterated primer pockets without being anywhere close to pressure… it was a mess. I loaded and shot 200 cases and then dumped those and the other 300 pcs in the trash.

I have a hard time believing the OCD would get as much hype as it does if it was as shitty as the original stuff, but you couldn’t pay me enough to use Gen 1 again.

I've had this problem once with a 65SS when changing barrels and using the same brass. The brass was difficult to chamber in the new barrel. I cut the top of a sizing die off to make a body die which then let the brass chamber easily. However, as soon as it was shot it was terribly difficult to extract. I tossed all that brass and started over.

I have buddies shooting the first gen Alpha brass in their Dashers and have had similar chambering/extraction issues. I'm running the OCD brass in a chamber I designed specifically for the OCD.

Wilson case gauges are great except for those who have custom chambers or wildcats. Dashers are wildcats BTW. Check each reamer manufacturer's prints and they're different.

I think it’s a two fold problem for you. Gen 1 brass was a bit soft and thin in the base area and PVA barrels typically have to much chamfer and that leads to unsupported case head issues
    Mostly agree. While PVA does make chamfer larger then normal to aid feeding, it doesn’t leave it unsupported. The larger chamfering does expose the non OCD Alpha (Dasher and GT) issues with un welcomed results. Two of which is documented here.

Post in thread 'Zermatt - rather funny'
    https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/zermatt-rather-funny.7122416/post-10190552

Just wish I knew how bad it was. Threw 300 piece away after just three firings.

I have a bunch of this stuff and ran it in Proof pre-fits pretty well. Brass now has 8+ firings on it and doesn't work any more. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this issue.

At a match in February though, I had such a hard time closing the bolt on most of the rounds, and extracting them, I withdrew from the match. I was fighting the gun every round. That was with an old Proof prefit I had ran in 2020.

Got me a new PVA barrel and they use Lapua reamers. I bumped the hell out of this brass thinking they were too long. Seated the bullets with an extra long jump. Still had issues at the last match. Though not nearly as bad as with the Proof barrel.

6-Dasher

What happened to the old Alpha stuff that caused them to switch to OCD, and is this what I'm experiencing now? I just want the skinny, so I can figure out if I need to go back to Lapua brass or Redding does again. Thanks!
    They seem like fine young entrepreneurs putting out very good brass now.

They started out of a basement and none came from brass manufacturing. You think they may have went through some growing pains? Maybe not the best brass at first?

Reactions: nrspence
    They seem like fine young entrepreneurs putting out very good brass now.

They started out of a basement and none came from brass manufacturing. You think they may have went through some growing pains? Maybe not the best brass at first?

I think calling it “ultra premium” and selling it for $1.25/ea kinda takes the “we are new” excuse away.

Again, good stuff now. Doesn’t excuse the issues that many, many people were having.

Reactions: Lynn313

6-Dasher

What happened to the old Alpha stuff that caused them to switch to OCD, and is this what I'm experiencing now? I just want the skinny, so I can figure out if I need to go back to Lapua brass or Redding does again. Thanks!

We mark the chamber as "Lapua" as opposed to anything else because of the trim length. There are 2 Dasher trim lengths on the market: There's the Lapua based print and there's the Norma print which is sometimes called "Long Neck" brass. The Norma brass from 2015-era had a longer neck on it and required a different reamer which I also have. That "Norma" brass has its own issues and stories but it's pretty much forgotten around here now because the company that was importing it has closed doors and nobody's got any of it left. Those reamers sit in my storage drawer in case someone orders a barrel but it's rarer and rarer every year as the brass gets cycled out.

Our reamers and the Alpha reamer print match within 0.0005" on every body dimension. I've spent time on the phone with them about it too. Alpha's doing a great marketing job of telling people to use their reamer for their brass, I had trouble with their reamers cutting the way we need them to in my equipment. They cut great at manual equipment speeds. I had trouble doing anything meaningful in the turning centers that I have on the floor here.

I've had them and I measure them on our optical comparator, it's the same thing as we're cutting and labeling as "Lapua" which is due to the trim length only.

I've cut the same print for 8 years in Dashers, it's just that now the market finally caught up to what we've been doing since 2014. The necks are opened up to 0.274-0.275 and the freebores have been opened up as well. A lot of the early issues in Dashers for PRS guns came from people using "no turn" reamers that were 0.271 or 0.272 necks and they simply weren't up to the task of a 300+ round weekend.

On the brass side and "PVA has too much unsupported web"... this was marginally true 2 years ago but misses a litany of other factors involved. Not the least of which is how the brass was treated/loaded, how the brass was made, etc. We made Dashers for 5+ years before Alpha brass showed up, then a few issues happened.

Since 2020 I have had 3 problems out of over 5,000 barrels delivered. Without getting too far down the rabbit-hole it's multiple issues rolled into one case that is pointed at the gunsmith. One client swears it's not an overload on his part but the brass remains show a flash hole that was so big a primer almost fit through it. That's also on an action where the receiver maker pointed his finger at the gunsmith (me) but when the gunsmith (me) offered to buy the new action on condition that I was given the action in question he flat out refused. There was absolutely no way he was going to let anyone see that receiver. He knew full well I was immediately going to send it to a metallurgy lab for testing because some of the damage didn't look right for an action that was properly heat treated. When the chamber chamfer was called into question we reviewed the print published by the company and their callout for what they intended and what the international GD&T standards define were backwards. The event happened 1100rd into the barrel life with a load that was VERY warm. The guy swears the load wasn't very warm but again the flash hole was massively enlarged.

We changed our chamber chamfers on every single prefit we make as a result of the new brass coming into the market.. There was an Origin that went recently. Origins have never had more than 0.165" of unsupported case web but this one was blamed on "insufficient case support" by people including @Bravo6niner.

The brass that let go was multi-reloaded in a chamber with 0.165" of unsupported web. Any Remington chamber with a 0.005" break on the chamber mouth has 0.165" of unsupported web. Apples to apples.

So why did it let go? Brass problem. The origin thread a few days ago had nothing to do with a chamber chamfer issue and everything to do with a brass problem.

Here's a screenshot of the data from Lapua 6BR brass that I measured 100pc and performed a mild statistical breakdown of the data.
    1652371068908.png

1652371056030.png

Mean-2s is 95% or 5/100 will fall outside that band, here we find 5 pieces in the sample set just like predicted.
    The Mean-3s line is 99.7% or ~1/300 --> there is 1 piece measured there which is within prediction as well.
    The Mean-6s line means Average minus 6 SD's, which is approximately 1 in 1,000,000 pieces will fall at that level. This number is 0.1754" thick web

This same measurements on old Alpha brass brings the 3 sigma line below 0.170 and the 1 ppm line to 0.165

Read that again. That means that a "proper" chamber chamfer on a Remington is line to line with the brass. That's also line to line on several other actions on the market that are 3 lug designs with their currently published tenon prints.

This doesn't go into any discussion about corner radii in the brass or hardness of the material. That's a whole additional discussion and I'm compiling an engineering report on it now.

So what, that's 1 piece of brass in a million pieces.

We have chambered and delivered over 10,000 rifle barrels since 2014. One piece of brass in 1,000,000 means that somewhere in the 10,000 barrels we delivered it only takes 100 pieces of brass going through each barrel before someone will find one that's bad (100 x 10,000 = 1,000,000).

Most folks have 300-500 pieces rotating, some more.

There have been 3 events with our barrels. All from the same brass maker, all from the same generation of brass, and 2 of the events have happened where there's more support than "line to line". There was an event with another gunsmith and the gun was inspected multiple times. No problem. The brass was sectioned and found to be cutting itself apart at the wall to web radius junction. It cut through to the extractor groove and let go.

We made a change to react to the market's demand to use a different brass and we updated our practices when we found out that there's a potential weak link when our product is combined with someone else's product. I have spent hours discussing this topic with several gunsmiths who have seen issues, we've made changes and so have many others doing what we do. When the problems continue there's something else to look at beyond the chamber mouth chamfer.

There's a decision chain that involves each party with liability in this single case. I agreed with the action maker to replace the action if I got back the one that was damaged. He refused flat to let anyone else see that action. Why? The flash hole picture speaks to an overpressure event that should not have damaged a receiver. Even at 85ksi a Dasher doesn't generate as much bolt thrust as a 6.5 PRC does under normal conditions. The action lugs should not have taken a set back. At the time I had no idea there was a problem with the brass that was looming on the horizon. Yet we're blaming the gunsmith as the sole perpetrator when it's likely that the brass had a problem, the reloading practices had a problem, the action had a problem both by design and manufacture, and a gunsmithing practice that was tried and true for years suddenly was no good anymore.

It's my opinion that using the words below to describe our chambers is erroneous or at best partially misleading. "Typically" would describe something that was more than 3 in ~10,000 or ~0.03%. According to our geometry in place for years, even before changing it the factory feed cone in an Accuracy International barrel would be wildly unsupported as they've always had more case head sticking out than we have ever made. How often do they let go? Extremely rare. When they do have events are the receivers destroyed? Even more rare.

So is it a gunsmithing problem or is there more at play here?

We do listen to the market, we do make changes to react to product updates, and we do our best to make sure that we aren't doing something dangerous. I've been audited by my liability insurance company to review our practices and our manufacturing record keeping logs. The fact that we have those logs to begin with is an anomaly in the custom gun world. It blew the auditor's mind when I had an access database with the information in it.

I can only do what we have control over to react to new products in the market. When something has worked for years with nationally distributed products and then all of the sudden there's a safety event we take it seriously. This means digging into the root cause. If that root cause doesn't lie with us I still see if there's something we can do to make a change to mitigate safety risks.

It sounds like the new OCD brass is a modification/improvement to fix an issue that has to date been blamed on people who fit barrels. I'm glad they're making product improvements.

Last edited: