• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing whats the best 5r Barrel

Re: whats the best 5r Barrel

Don't know which is the "best," but I would buy a Rock if ordering one today (have one on order actually). Unless something has changed of late, the wait may be a little excessive for an Obermeyer.

Any should do the job IF installed correctly. My last one was a Rock and it is great. Remember, there probably is a reason the big names suppliers have a wait. And its probably not they are taking lots of vacations and playing golf.

Why are you set on having an R?

What about Schneiders P? Broughton's C?

Just a bit of info....don't set your heart on an Oby!!! On August 28th will be 3 yrs I have been waiting for a 6.5 blank, that after a phone conversation saying he would have me one in 2-3 months!!!! He keeps telling me to "remind him", this after "my pc crashed and I lost your order", "will run a batch of 6.5's shortly","just need to finish this 500 blank contract for yada yada then I will do it" etc, etc!! Been waiting on another 30 cal blank for 19+ months. I gave up and got a 6.5 from Rock that Paul made a special effort to have to me in 5wks, 5wks is alot better than 3yrs and nothing, and forgot about having a spare 30 laying around. Boots' is a great guy to BS with etc but unless you can catch him with an extra blank in hand that will suit your needs you will just be pissed waiting and listening to his excuses. Been doing it for 3yrs now and never again. There are other barrel makers with just as good or better barrels. He is busy doing contract work for several alphabet agencies so the 1 or 2 orders aren't worth his troubles I have found out.

kool thanks for all the info?im building a m24a2 and have spent good money on it and dont want to short change on the barrel..I need the best

I doubt you'll be able to shoot the difference, I have a Rock on my 308 and a Bartlein on my 260, both are GTG, as is the rest listed and all will serve you well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rotoflex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im about to buy a 5R barrel, just what to know whats the best one? Mike Rock, Obermeyer or Krieger.
</div></div>

I've used Rock, Bartlein, Broughton and Krieger in the various "R" and "C" offerings and you can't go wrong with any of them....I've primarily been sticking with Broughton, but the more Bartlein and Rock barrels that I use, the more I want to use. I'd use more Kriegers, but the 22+ week delivery times are a no go for me.

i have been really happy with broughton and plan on using them until i have a reason not to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: __JR__</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget Border </div></div>

Does anyone even import Border barrels into the US ?

I have an Obermeyer blank waiting to be installed on my 308 but at the rate I'm using my 308, it would be a while. Currently, it wears the Pac-Nor SM 12 twist 3 grove.It shoots better than I can.

Fishing006.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Desert Fox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an Obermeyer blank waiting to be installed on my 308 but at the rate I'm using my 308, it would be a while. Currently, it wears the Pac-Nor SM 12 twist 3 grove.It shoots better than I can.

Fishing006.jpg
</div></div>

By Boots' marking sequence my guess is you have had that blank for some time?? If I had to take a guess I would say it is 8-9+yrs old? Is that a CM blank or stainless? Think you should send it to me and you will have plenty of time for its replacement to arrive if your luck is as good as mine
wink.gif

As I stated Boots' is a great guy to visit with but I just wish he would NOT claim a time frame he knows he absolutely cannot deliver on. I have asked him in at least 5 emails to just tell me he cannot do it so I could move on and order from someone else. He won't do it, just politely makes another deadline that he never follows through on. I know sure as hell as soon as I spend the money set aside for him he will call a couple days later and tell me they are done.LOL Wishing now I wouldn't have sold the other barreled action on had built with his barrel. Economy was in the shitter and I wanted to pay off the lathe I bought so I didn't have anything other than my mortgage payment to worry about. Oh well, hindsight is oh so good!!!!

i vote schnieder very impressive and turn around times havent been that long for me. longest time i waited was 1 month.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Desert Fox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an Obermeyer blank waiting to be installed on my 308 but at the rate I'm using my 308, it would be a while. Currently, it wears the Pac-Nor SM 12 twist 3 grove.It shoots better than I can.

Fishing006.jpg
</div></div>

By Boots' marking sequence my guess is you have had that blank for some time?? If I had to take a guess I would say it is 8-9+yrs old? Is that a CM blank or stainless? Think you should send it to me and you will have plenty of time for its replacement to arrive if your luck is as good as mine
wink.gif

As I stated Boots' is a great guy to visit with but I just wish he would NOT claim a time frame he knows he absolutely cannot deliver on. I have asked him in at least 5 emails to just tell me he cannot do it so I could move on and order from someone else. He won't do it, just politely makes another deadline that he never follows through on. I know sure as hell as soon as I spend the money set aside for him he will call a couple days later and tell me they are done.LOL Wishing now I wouldn't have sold the other barreled action on had built with his barrel. Economy was in the shitter and I wanted to pay off the lathe I bought so I didn't have anything other than my mortgage payment to worry about. Oh well, hindsight is oh so good!!!! </div></div>

Not sure how old is the barrel. I bought it from a retired Palma shooter. It's stainless and would finished at 30". and no it's not for sale. Sorry

Actually from the number I think it may be from late ninties even. I have a 6.5 blank from around 03 and it is in the 10XXX range. The C20 is his code for lot number of steel but couldn't remember if it meant SS or not, have a couple other blanks but was too lazy to dig them out to verify code markings. I didn't figure you would sell it but had to jerk yer chain a bit.lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John L</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: __JR__</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget Border </div></div>

Does anyone even import Border barrels into the US ? </div></div>

I thought they were using a guy in OH for some of that, but here's the email to ask firsthand:

[email protected]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually from the number I think it may be from late ninties even. I have a 6.5 blank from around 03 and it is in the 10XXX range. The C20 is his code for lot number of steel but couldn't remember if it meant SS or not, have a couple other blanks but was too lazy to dig them out to verify code markings. I didn't figure you would sell it but had to jerk yer chain a bit.lol </div></div>

SD. what's the twist on the 6.5?

Here's another picture of the barrel.
Fishing008.jpg

The extra 6.5 blank I have stashed is an 8 3/4. Believe it is a Palma contour as it is 31". The blank I have been waiting for for near 3yrs was to be same twist (what Boots' recommends for up to 140's in the 6.5) but an M40 contour. I built my 6.5x47L using one of his barrels in 1000yd contour and 9.1 twist. Shoots the 123L Scenars great. Haven't tried anything heavier yet in it but going to see if it will shoot the 140's as the blank was originally for a 6.5x284 with 140 range. I am getting over 3000fps with the 123 and room to go with 28" so who knows???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: __JR__</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John L</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: __JR__</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget Border </div></div>

I thought they were using a guy in OH for some of that, but here's the email to ask firsthand:

[email protected]

</div></div>

JR
Per info from you and the above email address I had contacted Border last fall??? I think it was. They had no importer at that time. US cost was around $440 IIRC + any import fees etc if I could get it through customs. Cannot remember dudes name but he kinda put it to me that if it wouldn't clear customs and was confiscated I would be the one out the money???? Wasn't going to find out for that price and the attitude I read into the email response!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: __JR__</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John L</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: __JR__</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget Border </div></div>

[email protected]

</div></div>

JR
Per info from you and the above email address I had contacted Border last fall??? I think it was. They had no importer at that time. US cost was around $440 IIRC + any import fees etc if I could get it through customs. Cannot remember dudes name but he kinda put it to me that if it wouldn't clear customs and was confiscated I would be the one out the money???? Wasn't going to find out for that price and the attitude I read into the email response! </div></div>

Wow..customer service must have changed gears in the last 2 years...

[/quote]

Wow..customer service must have changed gears in the last 2 years... [/quote]

With how some people make statements on the net and their word choice/sentence structure leave out attitude and/or tone that is lost on the net compared to phone or in person perhaps I may have misinterpreted/ misread his real message?????? However the Brits etc aren't known for containing sarcasm (case in point Tony Hayward of BP)
wink.gif
so I shouldn't speculate.lol Maybe he was "wanting his life back" and my email sent him over the top.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John L</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: __JR__</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget Border </div></div>

OK Weber use to, but are not listed on his website anymore.

Good luck

Jerry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike_l</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i vote schnieder very impressive and turn around times havent been that long for me. longest time i waited was 1 month. </div></div>

+1 it took 3 week 4 days and barrel was on the porch.