• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

whats the best twist .300 win mag

Rprecision

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2011
Progressive Hell, CO
So I am moving forward on a new barrel for my. 300 win mag. I am planning on shooting 180's to 220's shooting for the 208 A-max. I am tentatively aiming for a 1/10. I am trying to build a strong 1000 yard rig

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Re: whats the best twist .300 win mag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1 in 10</div></div>

This.

But if you're just trying to build a 1k rig you can do it with less recoil, just depends what the real goal is.

243, 260, 6.5 Creedmore, 7wsm, 6.5x284.

1000 yard rig for what purpose? Paper, steel, or matches?

If you go for steel then 243 lacks the horsepower at those ranges and some RO's wont call hits because the hit is not loud enough OR the plate does not move enough for them. Its just something to think about. BC plays a huge factor in these matches, especially when tricky winds start to kick up.

Id Run a 1/10 - you have so many bullet options then.

1:10 Rock 30 cals are doing very well....
smile.gif
. I think the cutoff for using the 1:11.25 is about 208 gr. 1 in 10 is the ticket. CKruse

I have been shooting a Schneider p5 1-10 twist with 210 and 230 grain bergers. They both shoot well with this barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1000 yard rig for what purpose? Paper, steel, or matches?

If you go for steel then 243 lacks the horsepower at those ranges and some RO's wont call hits because the hit is not loud enough OR the plate does not move enough for them. Its just something to think about. BC plays a huge factor in these matches, especially when tricky winds start to kick up.

Id Run a 1/10 - you have so many bullet options then. </div></div>

I need something with a bit more terminal balistics.

Thanks for all the replies

Someone please tell me how to quantify terminal ballistics. Specifically - how do I get more of them?

I don't even understand which part of the quote you are referring to.
eek.gif

I have a 1-10 kreiger. It shoots 190 really well. It also shoot 220 very good but the produce a lot more recoil. Shooting the 190 s are much more enjoyable. By the way if you don't reload Corbon has a very nice load with 190 smk at a good price.

If any of you dont mind I'm trying to find a good formula for hand rolled 300WM loads. I'm assuming some of the rifles talked about are R700's? If anyone has a special blend they like to use with 190SMK's I would certainly appreciate it. Fighting with my first WM shooter and would like to see if I can narrow it down before I have it ripped apart. I've tried many powders in various gr incriments all with the 190K SMK and have not been very happy. Inconsistant as hell. I'm only using the Seirra book and pulling whatever info I can off the forums but I'm honestly not finding a lot posted that have specifics of what other use. I understand there likely wont be an exact formula anyone could post, but if I could get an idea of what others who have R700's in WM are likeing I'll work with that. If it still shoots like crap I'll take it in for some additional work. It's a 5R 26" Factory Barrel with an RWS Break installed by the way. Thanks in advance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hideboiler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If any of you dont mind I'm trying to find a good formula for hand rolled 300WM loads. I'm assuming some of the rifles talked about are R700's? If anyone has a special blend they like to use with 190SMK's I would certainly appreciate it. Fighting with my first WM shooter and would like to see if I can narrow it down before I have it ripped apart. I've tried many powders in various gr incriments all with the 190K SMK and have not been very happy. Inconsistant as hell. I'm only using the Seirra book and pulling whatever info I can off the forums but I'm honestly not finding a lot posted that have specifics of what other use. I understand there likely wont be an exact formula anyone could post, but if I could get an idea of what others who have R700's in WM are likeing I'll work with that. If it still shoots like crap I'll take it in for some additional work. It's a 5R 26" Factory Barrel with an RWS Break installed by the way. Thanks in advance. </div></div>

Your new here, maybe new to forums let me suggest this.

While this place is great to find help, I think you will find it less then helpful when you try to take someones post off topic with your own questions. It generally regarded as rude to hijack others threads.

Go to the main forums page, scroll down, click on forum called reloading, inside this forum at the top is a subforum called Reloading Depot. Inside the Depot you will find a thread on .300 Win Mag Loads.

Like most things in life often the approach is just as important as the question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SGT Ticklefight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Someone please tell me how to quantify terminal ballistics. Specifically - how do I get more of them?

I don't even understand which part of the quote you are referring to.
eek.gif
</div></div>

Foot Pounds of Energy

To get more youe either shoot a bigger bullet or shoot it faster

A .243 is a woderfull cartridge. It does howevel lack the needed terminal balistics to shoot game at extended ranges.

1-10 Twist 26" Bartlein Barrel.

Most accurate. 300 WM barrel i ever shot.

My current .300WM (KMW) has a 25" Oby 1-10, AMU fluted. Shoots factory 190 FGMM, and handloads with 190 SMKs and 208 AMAX very well.

Have another build in process currently with a 26" Oby 1-10, AMU fluted.

Agree 100% on the 1-10 twist... Many different weight bullets have been shot through my Kreiger and still put out sub MOA (usually 1/2 MOA) at 1000yds.

1:9 stabilizes the 240 grain SMK's. 1:8 shoots and stabilizes the heavys subsonically.

Lowlight did a review of a 300 Win Mag with a 1:8 twist that was a 240 grain SMK tack driver out to 1000 yards. I think there's a video review of it around here somewhere.

I have not had any problems shooting 150s-220s with the 1-10 on my 5r.