• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What's the best way to shorten action screws?

Disturbed

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2010
Alabama
Help me out before I screw something up.

Run a nut down it and dremel grind it down?

Re: What's the best way to shorten action screws?

depends on how much needs trimmed, I run a nut down first to make sure it will straighten the threads back out if there happens to be a problem, but then I use a bench grinder if it only needs a little, and a band saw with metal blade if it needs more.

Dremel tool and cut off wheel.

I generally use a bench grinder.

If I had a grinder I'd use that if not, dremel tool with cutoff wheel. After it's cut, I simply bevel the edge a little

My process start to finish:

I start w/ the front screw. Snug it up all the way. Drop the bolt into the receiver. Back out the screw till the bolt falls into battery. Count the revs it takes for this to happen.

Assuming you have a mill/lathe:

I use a mill most often. I made a plate tapped to a variety of pitches common to the actions I use most. (1/4-28 and 1/4-32 being the most common). Run the screw into the plate as far as it'll go. Touch off the tool to the tip of the screw.

Say you had 4.5 revs on the front screw in order to get the bolt to drop. All you do is multiply the pitch x's the revs it took to get the bolt to drop. A 28 pitch screw is .0357/rev. X's 4.5 is .160".

That's how much you buzz off the screw.

Blind holes are more work.

C.

i normally use a grinder if there isn't too much to take off, or chuck it in the lathe if i need to remove more than .125". then just touch it up on the belt sander and its GTG!

Just in case you don't have a mill, the above other ways will work just fine also. I just count the threads that stick out of the hole, and cut them off. Then I just go to the belt sander, but a grinder with a well dressed wheel will also work, and clean up the end. I do like the backing it out while counting the revs until the bolt clears idea. Think I'll try that on my next one. I do keep bag of extra screws in case I mess one up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I do keep bag of extra screws in case I mess one up. </div></div>

Yes, good idea, I went to Lowes and bought a baggie full of different length Allen heads, some long ( for bedding ) and some close to right, trimming mine on grinder, clean up with thread file.