• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What's the better scope?

sprice

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2011
Utah
Better as in durability, clear glass, etc.
I'm mostly worried about durability because I only want to make this purchase once.

Leupold mr/t 2.5-8 or Vortex 2.5-10x44 viper pst?

If it makes a difference Leuppy is gonna be around $900 new. Vortex would be around $600, and I could always save some pennies for a NF 2.5-10 for $1300! Problem is I wanna keep it under $1000.

I might also be interested in a swfa 3-9 as well...

Re: What's the better scope?

I think the Lupy is the only FFP out of the bunch. If you want a NF, I would hit the optics sales thread as often as you can, they pop up ever so often with zero stop at a very decent price.

IF you can get a Vortex Viper PST for around $600 grab it. For that price it is most likely a 2nd FP. The ones that I am seeing, 2nd Focal Plane, are selling new for around $725. Vortex's Viper PST FFPs are selling closer to $825.

If you have never dealt with a FFP scope, I highly recommend that you look at one first and compare the features against a 2nd focal plane. I bought into the FFP hype without checking them out first and I dearly paid for it.

If it were me, and I currently am in your shoes at this time, I would save for the NightForce. I have a 5.5-22x56 on my Surgeon and I can count the hairs on a fly's ass at 100 yards.

For the magnification range, a 2.5-10x Nightforce really rules the roost. They're worth the extra money and if you shop you could find a better deal on a used one.

The 2.5-10x (especially the x24 version) is probably my most favorite all time magnified optic.

-Sean

The Leupold MR/T is not FFP. Of the MK4 line, the 2.5-8 is probably the best in terms of use and price from everything I have used, I would not pay more than $700 for one however...

Those nightforce 2.5-10 are pretty slick. The 24 & 32

Is it going on a semi auto?

Night Force, Vortex, or SS from SWFA are my top mid price level scopes.

Vortex would be my choice over the Leupold...

Out of those choices I would save your money and get a NF. GREAT compact scopes!

If you're going to save up for a NF, the 2.5-10X24 has been discontinued, so you'll probably end up getting it used if you can find it. The 2.5-10X32 is ~ $1,300 new. What are you using the optic for? If it's a hunting optic, perhaps you should look into Swarovski's Z3 line.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sprice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Better as in durability, clear glass, etc.
I'm mostly worried about durability because I only want to make this purchase once.

Leupold mr/t 2.5-8 or Vortex 2.5-10x44 viper pst?

If it makes a difference Leuppy is gonna be around $900 new. Vortex would be around $600, and I could always save some pennies for a NF 2.5-10 for $1300! Problem is I wanna keep it under $1000.

I might also be interested in a swfa 3-9 as well... </div></div>

I would get the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10X32 in a heart beat.While both of the other scopes would probably be OK you will never have to say "I should have gotten the Nightforce". I learned that lesson the hard way.

Pst is the better of those two in bang for the buck terms . Jf buy once cry once is your attitude
the nf 2.5 to 10 trumps everything. I also had an ior 2.5 to 10 and it was good but the ffp meant it was really a 4 to 10 and it was somewhat heavy.

You really need to get behind one to decide for yourself.

I bought the Vortex out of an impulse buy at a gunshow from a vendor that lives really close to me. I was actually really surprised in the optical clarity and the nice solid "click" of the turrets. The warranty is top notch.

When I recently went back to his shop to pick up some accessories for my vortex,he showed me the difference's in the Vortex and Leupold. I was sold on the vortex ever since then. For the money,you cant beat them. Unless you start talking NF's.

I really like both scopes. The Leupold MR/T with the M2 turret is a rock sold scope. I feel the glass is nicer in the Leupold MR/T and I like the M2 turret for a BDC aspect.

The Vortex has matching turrets so that is a bonus, and for the price the Vortex PST 2.5-10x is outstanding.

We have both in stock at this time.

Mike @ CST

While I haven't used the Leupold your referring to in your post. But I own a Vortex PST 6-24/50. It's my 1st real scope and it does work very good. Clear glass, positive turrets adjustments and no problems returning to zero. They are popular on this forum for a reason.