• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WHATS THE DIFF???? CCI BR2 Vs. CCI #200 large rifle primers.

Rem7targetactical

KP Duty
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2011
Southeast, Florida
I have always used Federal Gold Medal Match or CCI BR2 primers for reloading my 308 Win. I have ran across a couple thousand CCI #200 large rifle primers and picked them up since it's been so hard finding the BR2's. Is there a big difference? Will my zero at 200 yds. change? I understand there's better quality control and less chance for misfires but is there really a huge change in the two? Thanks in advance for any help or experience you have with the two.

WHATS THE DIFF???? CCI BR2 Vs. CCI #200 large rifle primers.

Not really. And No. I use them interchangeably. And lately I've had more misfires with BR2s.

I don't know the difference,
I did start using the regular CCI 200 in my 308 the keep from using my BR primers and they shoot fine.
I guess when things go back to normal I will start back with BR primers?

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
Blacked out

i have not noticed any difference in performance between match and regular primers, except that I don't have as much money for beer afterwards.

Reactions: TankFrank
Lol, you guys sound like your in the same boat as me! OK, excellent! Thanks for the feedback, I'm into my last box of BR2's and was worried whether I should pay big bux for more or just start using the 200's.

Rumor has it, and I *don't* have this on good authority but seems I've read/heard this from several different sources....that the difference between a CCI200 and CCI BR2 is which employee is overseeing the machine while they're being made. Allegedly, when the more experienced primer-maker folks run the machine they are BR2's and when regular folks run the machine they're 200s. All machine settings are identical, the difference is the BR2s end up a little more consistent than 200s because of operator skill.

Take that for whatever you think it's worth.

As an aside, I certainly can't shoot the difference between them.

I used BR2's exclusively for 5 years, that's what I started with and didn't know any different. They dried up for a while and I bought 200's instead, no difference in velocity or accuracy for me across 4 rifles. I'm going to stick with 200's, the BR2's are so expensive now.

I've read that story about the senior operators making the BR2's also, and that BR2's come from the middle of a production run, presumably when they will be most consistent due to the line being set up and the operator being in a rhythm.

"i have not noticed any difference in performance between match and regular primers, except that I don't have as much money for beer afterwards."
EXACTLY

+2 to the beer money. Unfortunately one bottle of my favorite beer is more than a 100 pack of BR2. (Ninkasi Tricerahops in 22oz)
The difference is like having gold trim on your car vs. the standard chrome or painted. If it makes you feel better buying the BR2, get them.

Reactions: QuickOne
Rumor has it, and I *don't* have this on good authority but seems I've read/heard this from several different sources....that the difference between a CCI200 and CCI BR2 is which employee is overseeing the machine while they're being made. Allegedly, when the more experienced primer-maker folks run the machine they are BR2's and when regular folks run the machine they're 200s. All machine settings are identical, the difference is the BR2s end up a little more consistent than 200s because of operator skill.

Take that for whatever you think it's worth.

As an aside, I certainly can't shoot the difference between them.
I’ve heard the same thing. I use the two of them interchangeably with no differences seen on chrono or paper.

The issue with BR primers is who does the primer pellet. The pellet is made by squeegeeing the wet material on a plate with 100 holes. The trick is to get all the holes filled alike. The most experienced people are the ones that get the highest level of consistency and hence this then forms the most consistent primer.

My understanding also is that the primer cup for BR's is a little thicker, not to the level as the military primers but thicker which may help with consistent ignition?

I know that the primer cup and anvil are turned out on machines but I think that the full primer itself are assembled by hand due to the nature of the material they are working on.

HTH

David